1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 20:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's still pretty dam big! You certainly could not launch yourself off into space just by jumping up like you could on that comet they tagged with the probe.
    Yeah, but the same would be true if you landed on Chris Christie's ass -- heaven forfend.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 21:081 edit
    It's still pretty dam big! You certainly could not launch yourself off into space just by jumping up like you could on that comet they tagged with the probe.
    There are several other known bodies of similar size and probably a number not yet discovered, yet there are not many people pushing for them to be called planets. If anything the resistance to them being called planets is what got Pluto demoted.

It also must be mentioned that the giant planets are so significantly bigger than the rest that we really should treat them differently too.
    We should stop thinking of the 'nine planets' (or eight) and instead think:
    2 Gas giants
    2 Ice giants
    5 Rocky planets
    multiple dwarf planets (I don't know how many)
    many comets
    many asteroids
    space dust.

And then there are all the moons of the above bodies
    And then there are all the objects around other stars.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '15 21:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are several other known bodies of similar size and probably a number not yet discovered, yet there are not many people pushing for them to be called planets. If anything the resistance to them being called planets is what got Pluto demoted.

It also must be mentioned that the giant planets are so significantly bigger than the rest that we really s ...[text shortened]... re are all the moons of the above bodies
    And then there are all the objects around other stars.
    And all that is dwarfed by the dark matter in the universe which outdoes the normal stuff we can see by 20 to 1 or so.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 01:051 edit
    How are these pictures taken, since it should be pitch black given its distance from the sun?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    How are these pictures taken, since it should be pitch black given its distance from the sun?
    Actually no, the sun at the distance is still brighter than a full moon, light enough to read.

Nasa's recently been doing a thing where it will tell you [weather conditions permitting]
    what time of day [morning and evening] will the conditions be right to experience the light
    conditions you would find on Pluto at midday. [kinda]

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/plutotime/

Specifically as Pluto is currently about ~31au away, the sun is 1/(31^2) or ~~1/900 times
    as bright as it is at Earth.

Given the sensitivity of the instruments on these satellites.

Heck, they scheduled observations of Pluto's far night/dark side using reflected light from
    it's moon after passing closest approach.

EDIT: the full midday sun on the Earth has a brightness of ~32,000 - ~100,000 lux
    Which means at Pluto that drops to ~35 ~110 lux Or the equivalent of a very dark overcast day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

http://www.greenbusinesslight.com/page/119/lux-lumens-and-watts
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 03:291 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 08:56
    I came across this:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33531811
    Nasa's administrator Charles Bolden said: "With this mission, we have visited every single planet in the Solar System."

Clearly even some in NASA are not ready for the 'dwarf planet' category.
    Eris, a dwarf planet more massive than Pluto (although very slightly smaller) has not been visited.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 10:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I came across this:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33531811
    Nasa's administrator Charles Bolden said: "With this mission, we have visited every single planet in the Solar System."

Clearly even some in NASA are not ready for the 'dwarf planet' category.
    Eris, a dwarf planet more massive than Pluto (although very slightly smaller) has not been visited.
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150715.html

The latest and greatest so far, Horizon is now sending back super high res pictures, all went well with the flyby.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 03:38
    Very interesting.

There seems to be a lot of rocks on Pluto.

Well I was not expecting this at all!! 😠
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 11:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Very interesting.

There seems to be a lot of rocks on Pluto.

Well I was not expecting this at all!! 😠
    Really, So far what I have seen have been labelled as water ice mountains... Which while very hard
    are not in fact rocks.

They are interesting as Pluto has a [thin] atmosphere which is made up of mainly nitrogen which is
    constantly being blasted off into space by solar wind. The atmosphere is replenished by more
    nitrogen ice subliming and turning into gas.

However nitrogen ice is weak and cannot produce mountains like the ones we have just discovered,
    which means that those mountains must be made of something stronger, like water ice.

However this means that the nitrogen ice on the surface can only be a [relatively] thin layer, which means
    that if it were not being replenished it should have evaporated off by now, which means that Pluto must have
    recent geological activity [cryo-volcanos for example] that brought more nitrogen ice to the surface.
    This is born out by the lack of visible impact craters, indicating a young surface.

This is interesting because we didn't know such activity could sustain itself for so long after the formation of
    the [object] as all other examples of such icy bodies are moons closely orbiting gas giants that cause
    tidal heating that explained the geological activity.

Pluto is nowhere near a gas giant and the closest thing to it is too small to cause enough heating and is
    tidally locked anyway.

So we have already discovered new things about Pluto that tell us about the workings of the solar system
    and we only just started.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 14:04
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Really, So far what I have seen have been labelled as water ice mountains... Which while very hard
    are not in fact rocks.

They are interesting as Pluto has a [thin] atmosphere which is made up of mainly nitrogen which is
    constantly being blasted off into space by solar wind. The atmosphere is replenished by more
    nitrogen ice subliming and turnin ...[text shortened]... ings about Pluto that tell us about the workings of the solar system
    Ice and nitrogen?

Well it's nice to know there is more than just rocks.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 14:27
    Some say Pluto has a heart shape on it but I say it's mooning us.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 15:10
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    are not in fact rocks.

nitrogen ice subliming and turnin ...[text shortened]... ings about Pluto that tell us about the workings of the solar system
    What would be the source of the nitrogen? Nitrides in buried rocks? Not sure.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '15 20:00
    What would be the source of the nitrogen? Nitrides in buried rocks? Not sure.
    I dunno but these nitrates are polluting the atmosphere.

Plutonians need to limit their nitrogen emissions.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Jul '15 21:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    I dunno but these nitrates are polluting the atmosphere.

Plutonians need to limit their nitrogen emissions.
    To say you are a one-dimensional character would be an insult to that one dimension. Maybe you're fractional dimensional, like the Cantor set.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree