1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 01:10
    For those that don't want to read the actual paper, The lead author has a post on huffpo explaining it in his
    own words.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-james-hansen/multi-meter-sea-level-rise-is-an-issue-for-todays-public_b_7875828.html?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000071
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 06:111 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So you say that it's okay to try to win a debate using rhetorical tricks? You say that the truth is not important because winning the debate is numero uno? So you say that this isn't about climate at all but just to win a verbal fight to boost your personal ego?
    I independently came to exactly the same conclusion about him from his last two comments that he isn't interested in obtaining any truth about climate but rather he just trying to "win a verbal fight to boost" his "personal ego", or words of that effect.
    I hope he doesn't prove to be just as stupid arrogant condescending and infantile as Metal brain.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 07:14
    Originally posted by humy
    I independently came to exactly the same conclusion about him from his last two comments that he isn't interested in obtaining any truth about climate but rather he just trying to "win a verbal fight to boost" his "personal ego", or words of that effect.
    I hope he doesn't prove to be just as stupid arrogant condescending and infantile as Metal brain.
    I don't know anything about Metal Brain other than through his words. If he shows lack of knowledge in scientific matters, than I think he has a lack of knowledge in scientific matters. In reality, perahaps, he just want to discuss things and wanting to win every debate he is into. That's why any debate he is involved into easily turns into a marathon debate where half of his postings are pure insults, the other half is demonstrations of the beforementioned lack of knowledge, and the rest is nothing more than nonsense.

If he wants to be taken with respect then he has to change attitude. And he will get respect eventually. At least from everybody entering this Forum from that point.

I never discuss scientific matters with him because it is futile. It doesn't bring anything to me but insults and asocial behaviour. I'm however interested in the rhetorics used by fundamentalist people.
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 08:536 edits
    I don't know anything about Metal Brain other than through his words. If he shows lack of knowledge in scientific matters, than I think he has a lack of knowledge in scientific matters. In reality, perahaps, he just want to discuss things and wanting to win every debate he is into. That's why any debate he is involved into easily turns into a marathon deb ...[text shortened]... ts and asocial behaviour. I'm however interested in the rhetorics used by fundamentalist people.
    I agree with what you said there.
    half of his postings are pure insults, the other half is demonstrations of the beforementioned lack of knowledge, and the rest is nothing more than nonsense.

Although I think i know what you mean, if you take that statement too literally, the mathematics of fractions will not be quite right there (one half of something plus the other of something doesn't leave anything left over for the “rest” to be anything ). I would say a large part of his posts contain infantile condescending sadistic insults and most of his posts contain nonsense (obviously false premises and/or obviously false inferences ) as well as an appalling display of a combination of ignorance and arrogance.
    If he wants to be taken with respect then he has to change attitude. And he will get respect eventually.

And that is the key to what is really what is fundamentally wrong with him! What is wrong with him is not nearly so much his lack of intelligence nor ignorance but attitude. And, you are absolutely right, he will get respect eventually if, hypothetically, he dropped that attitude, which is just an absolutely appallingly combination of an infantile sadistic condescending hostile arrogant attitude. He will have to loose every bit of that before he can get any respect whatsoever from any of us here esp the scientists I guess.

I know of some people who I greatly respect but which have very low IQ (I used to be a cure worker for adults with learning disabilities ) . Why? Because they showed excellent attitude and, just like me, they didn't mind being put right and learn something new ( and I have been put right on numerous occasions ).
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 11:02
    Originally posted by humy
    I agree with what you said there.
    half of his postings are pure insults, the other half is demonstrations of the beforementioned lack of knowledge, and the rest is nothing more than nonsense.

Although I think i know what you mean, if you take that statement too literally, the mathematics of fractions will not be quite right there (one ha ...[text shortened]... ind being put right and learn something new ( and I have been put right on numerous occasions ).
    I usually don't mind enjoying the presence of low IQ people. But I do mind very much even high IQ people saying "I'm right only because I am the one saying it". That's lack of social competence that is a whole another matter than intelligence. That's arrogance.

I can't handle people insulting others all the time either. They are too full of themselves to realize that they are in fact losing friends and respect. Who wants people with so low self-esteem that they constantly has to insult others to disguise their own inferiority. They are not welcome to be near me.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 15:51
    I usually don't mind enjoying the presence of low IQ people. But I do mind very much even high IQ people saying "I'm right only because I am the one saying it". That's lack of social competence that is a whole another matter than intelligence. That's arrogance.

I can't handle people insulting others all the time either. They are too full of themselves ...[text shortened]... ntly has to insult others to disguise their own inferiority. They are not welcome to be near me.
    They do have a certain stench about them, don't they🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree