1. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 07:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Saying that there is no editorial oversight for YouTube is equivalent to saying TV has no editorial oversight - therefore you should never trust what you see on the news.
    It is also equivalent to saying that books have no editorial oversight, therefore you should never trust what you read in a book.
    Yes, there is no organisation in the world that provides oversight for the content of all TV stations. And there are some programs on TV that should not be watched. But it is wrong to claim that therefore all TV has no editorial oversight, and equally wrong to claim that the ordinary person is better off not watching TV as they might not be discerning enough to know which channels or programs to watch.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 07:13
    I don't think anyone here (except you perhaps) is interested in winning mathematical problem-solving competitions at high level.
    We are discussing whether or not YouTube videos may be used to satisfy our curiosity about certain aspects of mathematics - and whether or not they are a good medium for instruction in mathematics at the university level.
    As I have already pointed out, many universities around the world, believe that they are a good medium for instruction at the university level.

And from what I have observed, most of the swaggering arrogance is emanating from you.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 07:45
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Saying that there is no editorial oversight for YouTube is equivalent to saying TV has no editorial oversight - therefore you should never trust what you see on the news.
    It is also equivalent to saying that books have no editorial oversight, therefore you should never trust what you read in a book.
    Yes, there is no organisation in the world that provid ...[text shortened]... watching TV as they might not be discerning enough to know which channels or programs to watch.
    TV and books have editorial oversight (regardless of the quality of it).
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 10:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    TV and books have editorial oversight (regardless of the quality of it).
    Not always, no. Not unless you count self oversight by the creator, but then you have to use the same definition for YouTube videos, and the argument itself becomes somewhat meaningless.
    And neither set has a single body responsible for editorial oversight.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 17:36
    I didn't learn mathematics from youtube...so I could really care less about the argument.

I'm more concerned why a person of your "intellect" continuously needs to validate said "intellect" with interjected statements about awards and accolades you have won, who you know in academia, their credentials, and self indulgent statements about your own mathematical genius? It seems like a desperate attempt to lend credibility and an authoritarian position to your posts on mathematics in a science forum at a chess website for no other reason than self reassurance.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 18:261 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 18:38

8. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 18:58
    Are TV channels required to have any? Please provide evidence for that.
    And why is it now "commercial or state television channels"? Why the restriction?

Referring to DPRK state television rather than the BBC, for instance, in order
    to condemn *all* 'official' television would be a disingenuous argument
    (one that I would expect from the likes of Twhitehead).

Yet oddly enough, you came up with it. And it is exactly what you were doing with YouTube.

Yet I would trust the BBC to be more factually reliable in general than a random YouTube video made in the UK.
    So would I. And I would trust certain YouTube channels to be more factually reliable in general than a random BBC program.

Twhitehead likes to act as though there's no difference in general quality.
    Duchess64 likes to act like she is incapable of being wrong, and will just keep digging that hole with no hope of ever getting out.

Duchess' error is in treating YouTube as a single entity whilst refusing to do so with television, despite my already pointing out that YouTube produces more content than all televisions stations put together and has more channels than all television channels.

Would Duchess also like to claim that the internet is unreliable and has no regulation and we should not trust anything we read on the internet? Is the ordinary person going to be mislead by what they read on the internet? Yes, I am sure Duchess would rather we all stick to prescribed text books for our information and stay away from that big bad world that's out to deceive us.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 19:03
    Did you say anything that required a response? In what way did I ignore your views?

Could Twhitehead solve even basic problems that test his self-evident 'expertise'?
    Twhitehead does hold a BSc in mathematics, but that is as far as I went, and it was 20 years ago.

I have concluded that Twhitehead's a persistently dishonest writer, an arrogant
    fool with regard to mathematics, and a troll in this thread as in many others.

And I have concluded that Duchess doesn't know when it is better to just stop.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 19:042 edits

11. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 19:17
    Odd then that despite all your posturing you are yet to contribute a single post about actual mathematics. Instead all we ever hear from you is how involved you were in 'the world of mathematics'.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 19:20

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 19:343 edits

14. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 20:04
    Yet here you are, making a fool of yourself.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '14 20:163 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree