1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 09:33
    https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Webb/Webb_identifies_tiniest_free-floating_brown_dwarf

It is interesting to see the borderline between a planet and a brown dwarf aka. failed star.
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 05:46
    @Ponderable

They're getting close to each other. From your link:
    Astronomers are trying to determine the smallest object that can form in a star-like manner. An international team using the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope has identified the new record-holder: a tiny, free-floating brown dwarf with only three to four times the mass of Jupiter.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 06:05
    @Ponderable

They're getting close to each other. From your link:
    Astronomers are trying to determine the smallest object that can form in a star-like manner. An international team using the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope has identified the new record-holder: a tiny, free-floating brown dwarf with only three to four times the mass of Jupiter.

It's hard to get the mind around a "tiny" "dwarf" object 3-4 times the mass of Jupiter.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 06:47
    @Kewpie
    I think they were able to measure the mass and it is more massive but the only heat comes from it's own internal heat sources which does not include fusion so the surprising thing to me is how long it can keep up such heat, billions of years of it.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 10:24
    @sonhouse said
    @Kewpie
    I think they were able to measure the mass and it is more massive but the only heat comes from it's own internal heat sources which does not include fusion so the surprising thing to me is how long it can keep up such heat, billions of years of it.
    Probably not "billions" just "millions", IC 348 is a so-called "Star-craddle" where (comparatively) recently stars were formed. ESA looked for brown dwarf especially in regions, where still some temperature is to be expected to get them onto their infrared instrument 😉

There is a not so new paper on the cluster:
    https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/376594/pdf
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 18:101 edit
    @Ponderable
    Ah, so it is early in its career🙂 I wonder if Webb will look for those dwarfs too? It shines in IR.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Dec '23 22:56
    Amuzati Nzoli?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2004/03/meet-the-world-s-most-famous-pygmy.html
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 07:30
    @AThousandYoung
    Bit of a stretch there.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree