1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 03:247 edits
    YouTube

The video discusses an area of Indonesia where a narrow strait sharply divides the type of animals on either sides.

This divide helps gives clues about the history of the earth's movement by plate tectonics and how the surface was shaped in the past. The reason for the biological divide is likely due to where the two land areas originated from eons ago.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '23 06:33
    @vivify
    Where at that earlier time the animals were the same on both parts but after the split they would have evolutionarily split into separate species.
    Doesn't seem like rocket science🙂
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Aug '23 10:301 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @vivify
    Where at that earlier time the animals were the same on both parts but after the split they would have evolutionarily split into separate species.
    Doesn't seem like rocket science🙂
    It's not just that the animals evolved into different species; the issue is that a mere 35 miles separates a vastly different array of animals.

Imagine if on one side of the Mississippi river had snakes, spiders and scorpions, and on the side are Kangaroos, lions and penguins. That would be a wild difference.

I'm exaggerating a bit just to illustrate the point that different evolutionary paths alone, according to the video, don't explain the full story.

Scientists believe the the difference is due to the fact that the land areas, despite their close proximity to each other, originated from different areas of earth. They are only close together now (35 miles apart) due to plate tectonics but in the past were hundreds of miles apart. The movement of plates brought these vastly different animals close together.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    11 Aug '23 01:05
    @vivify said
    [youtube]QTK_bC00ilg[/youtube]

The video discusses an area of Indonesia where a narrow strait sharply divides the type of animals on either sides.

This divide helps gives clues about the history of the earth's movement by plate tectonics and how the surface was shaped in the past. The reason for the biological divide is likely due to where the two land areas originated from eons ago.
    Thanks for putting this on; I live in Sulawesi, on the eastern side of the great divide with Borneo, and am currently in Bali, where the line divides Bali and Lombok. I've watched a few of the programmes so far, and will watch the rest!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Aug '23 07:06
    @vivify
    I guess that movement of plate tectonics is not over and they will get closer still in the far future, wonder how long that will take? More than a thousand years I bet.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Aug '23 14:21
    @indonesia-phil said
    Thanks for putting this on; I live in Sulawesi, on the eastern side of the great divide with Borneo, and am currently in Bali, where the line divides Bali and Lombok. I've watched a few of the programmes so far, and will watch the rest!
    You're quite welcome.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Aug '23 14:39
    @sonhouse said
    @vivify
    I guess that movement of plate tectonics is not over and they will get closer still in the far future, wonder how long that will take? More than a thousand years I bet.
    Who knows; millions of years from now plate movements could in result in bears living near giraffes.

Plate movements, like evolution, never ends, it's a continuous process.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '23 05:09
    @vivify
    Lets hope the movements don't stop!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree