The Webb Telescope

The Webb Telescope

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Jan 22

@bunnyknight said
@Liljo
When it reaches the target at L2, won't it be in Earth's shadow, sort of like a perpetual solar eclipse? Seems to me that Earth should block almost the entire solar disc at that distance.
That's what they're saying! That is some awesome engineering.

Moves
13 Jan 22

@sonhouse
Great time in human history to be alive, isn't it!

Moves
13 Jan 22

Just saw this from two days ago. Things are going so well with this project that they are now estimating there will be plenty of fuel for the Webb to operate as long as 20 years!

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space-telescope-fuel-20-years

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Jan 22

@Liljo
I wonder if there will be a scope even bigger running 20 years from now?

Moves
13 Jan 22

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
I wonder if there will be a scope even bigger running 20 years from now?
The way NASA goes at it, I'd be surprised if there isn't. Man...they have so many projects in the works. There are currently at least 35 telescopes in Earth's orbit, although most are not telescopes in the sense that most of us mere humans think about them. There are many more scheduled for launch between this year and 2037.

I am almost at retirement age, and this will give me something to "track" for the rest of my life.

Currently: 758,000 miles out. Traveling 698.4mph.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Jan 22
1 edit

@Liljo
There are at least 4 scopes in orbit the size of Hubble. Only thing is they are not pointed UP.....

The latest on Webb:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/science/nasa-begins-process-bringing-new-space-telescope-into-focus-2022-01-13/

Moves
14 Jan 22

Currently:
Miles traveled: 768,325
To go: 130,385

Percent traveled to L2: 85.5
Speed: 678.6mph

Moves
14 Jan 22

I was happy to read that everything unfolded as intended.

I never worked in any area related to space exploration -- just a kid of the late 50s with his head in the stars.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Jan 22

@Kevin-Eleven
I was lucky to have fallen into working on Apollo. But I have worked in other facilities involved with space, l also worked on TDRSS weather sats.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
16 Jan 22

@liljo said
Currently:

Speed: 678.6mph
So by now this speedy little demon is probably tearing through space at about 600 mph. Better hope that no aliens see it or they might die laughing, which could spark an interstellar war.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Jan 22

@bunnyknight
Especially if there WERE aliens in this neck of the woods....
It's looking now like maybe we only get one scientific civilization per galaxy at any one time. That would also explain why we don't see aliens outside of UFO nuts.

Moves
17 Jan 22

Update:

598.32mph
811,700 with under 87,000 miles to go. All is well!
One week until L2 placement.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
17 Jan 22

@sonhouse said
@bunnyknight
Especially if there WERE aliens in this neck of the woods....
It's looking now like maybe we only get one scientific civilization per galaxy at any one time. That would also explain why we don't see aliens outside of UFO nuts.
I wouldn't be so sure. Once this Webb scope becomes operational and the lens cap comes off, you might start seeing so many aliens that it will make you dizzy.

Moves
17 Jan 22

I dunno. Maybe it’s da weed, but…I am in the camp with people who believe there is life all over the universe. It’s just that there is so much distance between galaxies/stars/exoplanets, etc., that we’ll never come in contact.

I mean, the closest known solar system to ours is about 4.5 light years. And if there isn’t life there, well, it is truly staggering how far away it may be. And I’m not even talking about intelligent life. We may find life on a Galilean moon near Jupiter. But alien civilizations? Rare if any, and far, far away.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jan 22

@Liljo
But for a first place to visit once we get propulsion near light speed, would be Alpha Centauri system, you get three for the price of one, three stars in that system so it will be a great place to visit, life or no life.
It is amazing they can figure out just where that L2 spot is, it is not like there are big moons to peg it. I think they figured that one out by analyzing the gravitational fields of the planets and the sun and just figured it out mathematically.