Thought experiment

Thought experiment

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planet Rain

Moves
08 Sep 22

@moonbus said
It's hard to think about infinity. One easily gets into a mind cramp. Regarding numbers, there are countable infinities and non-countable infinities. You know this already, but for the benefit of other readers here: the integers are countable, and any set which can be put into 1:1 correspondence with the integers is also countable. The even numbers, for example, are a countab ...[text shortened]... of physical space with nothing in it)? But now we really do have old Zeno breathing down our necks.
It's very late for me, but a quick drive-by: the rationals are countable. Cantor used a "diagonalization argument" to prove it. It is the real numbers that are uncountably infinite.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
09 Sep 22

@Soothfast

Oh yes, right you are. Substitute’real’ for ‘ rational’ in my post.

Moves
09 Sep 22

@soothfast said
It's very late for me, but a quick drive-by: the rationals are countable. Cantor used a "diagonalization argument" to prove it. It is the real numbers that are uncountably infinite.
Hm, almost right. The diagonal argument didn't prove that the rationals are countable, but that the reals are not. The conclusion remains the same, though. (And I don't know who proved that the rationals are countable, although I do know how.)

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Sep 22
1 edit

@shallow-blue said
Hm, almost right. The diagonal argument didn't prove that the rationals are countable, but that the reals are not. The conclusion remains the same, though. (And I don't know who proved that the rationals are countable, although I do know how.)
A "diagonal argument" is a proof technique that can prove a lot of different things in set theory.

Here's a diagonal argument that the reals are uncountable:

http://mathonline.wikidot.com/the-set-of-real-numbers-is-uncountable

Here's a diagonal argument that the rationals are countable, and also another presentation of the diagonal argument that the reals are uncountable:

https://aminsaied.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/diagonal-arguments/

In the latter link note that the word "diagonal" is apt in two senses: by zig-zagging through an infinite array of fractions along diagonal pathways, or creating a vertical list of numbers aligned by their decimal points and looking at the nth decimal place of the nth item on the list.

I believe Cantor did both of these proofs originally, though the history of mathematics is not my specialty. Maybe he didn't do the zig-zagging along an array approach.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Sep 22

@shallow-blue said
It occurs to me that it is curious how the word "diagonal" arises in two different ways: from working with a list of decimal expansions of reals in the interval [0,1], and from working with an array of fractions.

I'm not sure Georg Cantor, over 120 years ago, ever diddled with an array of fractions to prove the rationals are countable. Maybe he devised an explicit bijection. Four different proofs are here:

https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Rational_Numbers_are_Countably_Infinite

And if you think the proof that the rationals are countable found at the top of the page at
https://aminsaied.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/diagonal-arguments/
is kind of hand-wavey or heuristic, I would tend to agree. I much prefer explicit bijection approaches.

Fun stuff.

Planet Rain

Moves
09 Sep 22
1 edit

@moonbus said
@Soothfast

Oh yes, right you are. Substitute’real’ for ‘ rational’ in my post.
I figured you meant to say real. It's easy to slip up with these things. ๐Ÿ˜‰

รœber-Nerd

Moves
10 Sep 22

@Soothfast

Personally, my favorites are imaginary numbers. ๐Ÿ˜†

Moves
10 Sep 22

@moonbus said
@Soothfast

Personally, my favorites are imaginary numbers. ๐Ÿ˜†
I'd love to get a handle on the surreal ones.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
11 Sep 22

@Shallow-Blue

Oh, those are the ones with limp clocks draped over them. Wouldn't touch 'em with a ten-foot barge pole.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Sep 22

@moonbus
I notice you took pains not to upset Poles.๐Ÿ™‚

รœber-Nerd

Moves
11 Sep 22

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
I notice you took pains not to upset Poles.๐Ÿ™‚
Well, I'm not one to Greece up a Turkey; it might break some China.