Wierd--Brain Eating Amoeba in USA

Wierd--Brain Eating Amoeba in USA

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
26 Jul 22

This is right out of a sci-fi movie
https://news.yahoo.com/teenager-fighting-life-contracting-brain-204926472.html

Misfit King

Moves
26 Jul 22

That explains the leftist wannabes 🤔

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
26 Jul 22

@jimm619 said
If you post in this Forum you can gain points by doing a bit of research and stating some facts...

So we talk about [i]Naegleria fowleri[/]. The micro-organism is found all over the world and there are about two cases/year of infections in the USA.

And yes every other year we read such an article. It is bad for those affected, but it is not a real problem for the general population.

Moves
26 Jul 22

@ponderable said
If you post in this Forum you can gain points by doing a bit of research and stating some facts...

So we talk about [i]Naegleria fowleri[/]. The micro-organism is found all over the world and there are about two cases/year of infections in the USA.

And yes every other year we read such an article. It is bad for those affected, but it is not a real problem for the general population.
And we all know that there's only two cases in the USA per year because they can only find two brains worth eating in the USA per year.

*Rimshot* I'll be here all evening, yallyall!

Moves
26 Jul 22
2 edits

@ponderable said

I had never heard of it, but sure is spooky....
Can you imagine, a fun day at the beach,
5 days later you're dead....It would be considered
a far fetched plot in a Sci-Fi Flick.
....................Spooky like Ebola, but that doesn't (to my knowledge,)
happen in North America

Moves
26 Jul 22

@shallow-blue said
And we all know that there's only two cases in the USA per year because they can only find two brains worth eating in the USA per year.

*Rimshot* I'll be here all evening, yallyall!
Think they look around for MAGA HATS,
or avoid them? I mean they want an actual brain, right?

rain

Moves
28 Jul 22

@jimm619 said
I heard about someone getting this from an amusement, I think it was in Texas or somewhere around there, young guy around 20 yrs old. He died. If I remember correctly, the amount of chlorine wasn't enough.

The article said the amoeba is found in warm waters, so it's less likely that someone up north may contract the amoeba; but then again, there are plenty of amusement parks up north with warm water.

Moves
28 Jul 22

@ponderable said

Did I somehow, misrepresent?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
28 Jul 22

@Ponderable
Is there a vaccine or some such? I guess you don't get vaccines for amoeba's. So I guess next best thing is testing water, air, whatever the transmission comes from to see the prevalence in any given area and avoid whatever is contaminated.

Misfit King

Moves
28 Jul 22
1 edit

Their was like 10 or 12 cases of this in New Brunswick Canada last year.
I don't think they found out the cause.
(or something similar)

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
29 Jul 22

@beowulf said
Their was like 10 or 12 cases of this in New Brunswick Canada last year.
I don't think they found out the cause.
(or something similar)
If they didn't find out the cause how can you attribute that to the amoeba?

Any source? (That would greatly enhance discussion)

Moves
01 Aug 22

@jimm619

"Internet -- the drug of a nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation"

😉

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 Aug 22

@jimm619 said
Did I somehow, misrepresent?
No. You just posted a link without framing. In this case an alarmist one. With the framing, the fact is still interesting, but it is a nice problem (not for the very few who are affected).

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 Aug 22

@sonhouse said
@Ponderable
Is there a vaccine or some such? I guess you don't get vaccines for amoeba's. So I guess next best thing is testing water, air, whatever the transmission comes from to see the prevalence in any given area and avoid whatever is contaminated.
A vaccination against a excavate? Hardly imaginable. How would that work? And would any vaccination be suggested for such a seldom occurence? (People had difficulties to wrap their head around SARS-CoV-2, which is far more abundant.