An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

An idea for improving the “thumbs” feature

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Mar 23

@woofwoof said
Player bannings; post and thread removals are one thing: But the possibility of having anonymous feedback removed would be a placation too far.
I agree, thumbs should be for subscribers only the same as alerts are.

Moves
08 Mar 23

@fmf said
I am lobbying to get rid of the feature.
Your conjugation is rather off, there.

You are not lobbying; you have been lobbying for years and years on end, as has your partner in tenupelosity, divvy-goose. Also, you will lobby, continually, until both of you give yourselves a heart attack over the numbers in red and green.

Über-Nerd

Moves
08 Mar 23

@fmf said
"Reaping" what?
Negative feedback.

Über-Nerd

Moves
08 Mar 23

@fmf said
The fact that you like the feature doesn't mean anything to me. It does not alter the fact that it is an infantile blight on this website.
I don’t agree that it is either infantile or a blight, but even if I did, I wouldn’t agree with you that it should be removed.

Just ignore it.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Mar 23

@shallow-blue said

You are not lobbying; you have been lobbying for years and years on end, as has your partner in tenupelosity, divvy-goose. Also, you will lobby, continually, until both of you give yourselves a heart attack over the numbers in red and green.
So much bitterness.

F

Moves
08 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Negative feedback.
From whom?

F

Moves
08 Mar 23

@moonbus said
I don’t agree that it is either infantile or a blight, but even if I did, I wouldn’t agree with you that it should be removed.
In other words... we disagree?

F

Moves
08 Mar 23

@shallow-blue said

If you think the thumbs are a good site feature that should be kept, then I accept that that is your view.

IP

Moves
08 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Negative feedback.
It isn't 'feedback' though, is it. By all means provide a counter - argument to anything which is said, but the point is that very often there is no counter argument to be made, and a red thumb is simply and only a direct attack on the writer, which is spiteful, nasty, and cowardly. I get a fair few red thumbs myself, and no doubt will get some for this, which doesn't bother me in the least, but as a generic thing I still take the view that the feature should be removed. With the odd exception we don't know each other well enough to make definitive judgement on one another, so let's stop making judgements, shall we? Attack the writing, but don't attack the writer, it just isn't cricket, dear people.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
The anonymous thumbs feature neither enables nor disables anyone, regardless of whether some see the targets as "obnoxious posters" or not. The people giving red thumbs are just as likely to be "obnoxious posters" themselves. Who knows, as long as they are anonymous? The feature is just infantile and should be got rid of.
What is infantile is your continual bleating about being criticized for your behavior.

Moves
09 Mar 23

@indonesia-phil said
It isn't 'feedback' though, is it. By all means provide a counter - argument to anything which is said, but the point is that very often there is no counter argument to be made, and a red thumb is simply and only a direct attack on the writer, which is spiteful, nasty, and cowardly. I get a fair few red thumbs myself, and no doubt will get some for this, which doesn't ...[text shortened]... ents, shall we? Attack the writing, but don't attack the writer, it just isn't cricket, dear people.
I respectfully disagree Phil.

Thumbs are indeed feedback: Especially for those whom fear being abused in retribution.

People are not equally strong. Some may even suffer an inability to write confidently. Such do not deserve to be excised from conversations which find them offended or in disagreement.

Saying that all thumbs are personal attacks or born of cowardly malice is like saying that all clouds are white and all water is blue.

It ignores the reality of the spectrum: A spectrum which includes "50 shades of grey".
🙂

Moves
09 Mar 23

@fmf said
If you think the thumbs are a good site feature that should be kept, then I accept that that is your view.
Why worry with the low numbers, no one even uses it except this group from reading and noticing continuous low counts😉. So basically no random forum readers out there ever use it or read anything of interest worth thumbing about🤔.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@suzianne said
What is infantile is your continual bleating about being criticized for your behavior.
My "bleating" is that of a grown-up pushing back against a feature that lets the site down. I have no objection to being openly criticized on the forums. It may have escaped your notice but I rather relish it, especially when it is hypocritical. Anonymous thumbs are just about the most adolescent and craven way possible of expressing criticism.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@woofwoof said
Thumbs are indeed feedback: Especially for those whom fear being abused in retribution.
fear [of] being abused in retribution

You have an infantile mindmap in this matter.

F

Moves
09 Mar 23

@mike69 said
Why worry with the low numbers, no one even uses it except this group from reading and noticing continuous low counts. So basically no random forum readers out there ever use it or read anything of interest worth thumbing about.
I think it is a blight on this excellent website. Let social media platforms for young teenagers use it if they want.