Any update on conditional moves

Any update on conditional moves

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
04 Nov 08

Originally posted by Russ
Almost there....

This is the reason I normally avoid posting a schedule of any kind as I normally end up looking foolish! (as is the case here 😳 - twice over)

If I can offer any excuse, the main reason for the hold up is the nature of the changes I had to make. (Too risky to rush out.)
Better be safe than sorry. Take your time. We don't want any fatal bugs.

OAO
ParTizan

Philadelphia, USA

Moves
07 Nov 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Better be safe than sorry. Take your time. We don't want any fatal bugs.
yep, its ok Russ take your time we are not in a hurry

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
12 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by O Artem O
yep, its ok Russ take your time we are not in a hurry
A new build is now up for beta testers.

I will be broadcasting a message to all testers shortly.

Details of changes include :
- Rendering glitches should all be fixed. Pieces should no longer stack up on one square (a common glitch on previous beta).
- Navigate history in "deep mode", even after submission, to set up different lines.
- Improved piece selection behaviour on the "quick mode" interface. You can only select your opponents pieces on starting, and then only your own when responding.

And the links to access the conditional moves interface has been moved. Now located under the move submission button.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
12 Nov 08

- Rendering glitches should all be fixed. Pieces should no longer stack up on one square (a common glitch on previous beta).
- Navigate history in "deep mode", even after submission, to set up different lines.
- Improved piece ...[text shortened]... e conditional moves interface has been moved. Now located under the move submission button.
Thanks Russ,

Looks good so far - I'll let you know if I manage to break it.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
12 Nov 08

- Improved piece ...[text shortened]... e conditional moves interface has been moved. Now located under the move submission button.
Well I've made a few moves this evening, including one against Orangutan, and with the exception of whatever he's about to unleash upon me, I've not noticed any problems either. Mind you, I've never experienced a single glitch with the testing.

Not sure what you mean about the deep mode history navigation but considering that I only managed to work out how to use it a few weeks ago, that isn't surprising. I'll have a poke around next time I use the option.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by Lukerik
Not sure what you mean about the deep mode history navigation
You can now enter a series of moves, record a conditional move, then step back and follow another line.

Much like the analysis board.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Nov 08

You can now enter a series of moves, record a conditional move, then step back and follow another line.

Conditional move 1 didn't play in this game... Game 5535243

I think I'd prefer an interface, where I could click "Start Recording", make a number of moves, and then click "Stop Recording", so that conditional moves have been memorized for the whole line.

Having said that, it's a hell of an improvement on the last (first) release.

D

Moves
13 Nov 08

What if there's only one possible move your opponent can make, should that move be made automatically? It could stop people stalling for whatever reason.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
13 Nov 08

Right, I'm with you. Very useful. I spent ages the other week programming every line to mate only to find he'd resigned after the 1st cm.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
13 Nov 08

Originally posted by MilkyJoe
What if there's only one possible move your opponent can make, should that move be made automatically? It could stop people stalling for whatever reason.
Offer Draw, resign, claim draw are all things your opponent can do at a forced move.

D

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
13 Nov 08
2 edits

No.
You wouldn't reach over the board in a real* match and move an opponents piece for them. If you did (and they didn't punch you on the nose), what would you set the clock to?
There are always two [edit] three [/edit] options anyway - a player can move, resign or offer draw.

[/edit : I type so much slower than some people]

*real as in sitting within physical striking distance

Moves
14 Nov 08

Originally posted by orangutan
No.
You wouldn't reach over the board in a real* match and move an opponents piece for them. If you did (and they didn't punch you on the nose), what would you set the clock to?
There are always two [edit] three [/edit] options anyway - a player can move, resign or offer draw.

[/edit : I type so much slower than some people]

*real as in sitting within physical striking distance
This isn't OTB. And they can't punch you you the nose. 🙂 The clock would be set to your move again. If you have just moved then you're almost certainly there to take your next move. If it's a draw position then you can offer them the draw. Then the automatic move doesn't count. If you want to resign, then resign. If there's only one move possible, why wait?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Nov 08

This isn't OTB. And they can't punch you you the nose. 🙂 The clock would be set to your move again. If you have just moved then you're almost certainly there to take your next move. If it's a draw position then you can offer them the draw. Then the automatic move doesn't count. If you want to resign, then resign. If there's only one move possible, why wait?
Read the 2 posts above yours. It's really quite simple.

D

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
14 Nov 08
1 edit

But, if you want to claim a draw by repetition of position, you must do so at the proper time. If another move is played after the repeated position, it is too late to claim a draw.

Same goes for other claimable draws like the 50-move rule. If the 50th move is made automatically by the server, the opponent can reset the count with a quick pawn push, thus depriving the opponent of his rightful chance to claim the draw.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Nov 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Conditional move 1 didn't play in this game... Game 5535243

I think I'd prefer an interface, where I could click "Start Recording", make a number of moves, and then click "Stop Recording", so that conditional moves have been memorized for the whole line.

Having said that, it's a hell of an improvement on the last (first) release.

D
The next conditional move I recorded DID fire in the above mentioned game.

D