1. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 20:50
    There should be a bar showing average move time and sleep times from time zones
    Any other ideas?
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 21:112 edits
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Any other ideas?
    Have you tried Live chess here? The link is in the top right area of the page.
    The last time I tried it, the time controls were pretty short and fast.

EDIT: The "classical" option gives you up to 30 minutes per player on the clock.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Dec '23 10:22
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Any other ideas?
    The timing is set at the start of the game. If people use their time, they ahve all right to do so.
    When I was new here there was an option to indicate activity, but it won't help you probably.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Dec '23 10:33
    It's the nature of turn-based chess, which wasn't really intended for playing the way you prefer. You have options:
    >only play games with very short time controls
    >set up open invites with very short time controls
    >only play games with people who are located in your timezone
    >play on the "live" board. It's not used as much as it should be, but an opponent there is unlikely to leave the game during play.

Most of us here don't see ourselves as time wasters. We have lives which allow for short periods of relaxation at the chess board.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Dec '23 14:05
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Any other ideas?
    I am guessing that when you log in to play a bit of chess you are frustrated because non or few of your opponents have moved.
    As a non sub, you will be restricted to the number of concurrent games you are allowed.
    If you subscribe and set up more games, there should always be an opponent to respond to
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 01:59
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Any other ideas?
    This is a correspondence chess site, not a live chess site. Yes, concessions have been made for those wanting live chess, but experience has shown that is not why people play here. But some don't understand that a response is not, and is not designed to be, instant.

Games take days. If this isn't for you, try another site featuring live games.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 03:46
    @suzianne said
    This is a correspondence chess site, not a live chess site. Yes, concessions have been made for those wanting live chess, but experience has shown that is not why people play here. But some don't understand that a response is not, and is not designed to be, instant.

Games take days. If this isn't for you, try another site featuring live games.
    He's just 14 years old. I hope he hasn't made the mistake of using his real name as his username.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 05:36
    @kewpie said
    He's just 14 years old. I hope he hasn't made the mistake of using his real name as his username.
    Oh, thanks for that, I didn't bother checking his profile.
  9. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 08:15
    What I mean is people who don't move for days when they are losing and people who waste your time by playing a few moves and then losing by timeout I am here for playing chess and not claiming timeout
  10. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 08:16
    I don't mean that moves should be instant
  11. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 08:18
    I think that if you want faster games you should have things showing how long they will take per move
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 11:43
    @bobdaniel09 said
    What I mean is people who don't move for days when they are losing and people who waste your time by playing a few moves and then losing by timeout I am here for playing chess and not claiming timeout
    people who slow down when having a lost position will do so absolutely regardless what you do. (Read the chess novel "The Royal Game" by stefan Zweig or Schachnovelle if you read German)
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 12:03
    @bobdaniel09 said
    I think that if you want faster games you should have things showing how long they will take per move
    So how do you measure time per move?

If I open a game and play within the minute it can seem to you differently:

* fast mover (because you are online and see the fast response
    * slow mover, because I ahve been offline for 23 hours before opening the game.
  14. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    07 Dec '23 12:05
    @ponderable said
    people who slow down when having a lost position will do so absolutely regardless what you do. (Read the chess novel "The Royal Game" by stefan Zweig or Schachnovelle if you read German)
    I once played someone, can't remember who it was, who seemed to delight in waiting until the last day,or even less, before his timeout expired to move.
    Maybe he thought it bothered me.
    It didn't,I just treated the games like any other.
    Takes all sorts
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '23 16:43
    @bobdaniel09 said
    The game parameters tell you how long each move can take.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree