1. Subscriberhenjutsu
    InsectRightsAdvocate
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 19:18
    Hi all,

I have been struggling for a while to understand why veca has thousands of games and constantly times out in all of them. This results in having to play against him when he's rated 900 half the time. A possible solution that I believe would be an improvement to community would be to redirect all of veca's games to actually be set up against veca, while displaying the names of other players. This way veca can choose whether or not to time out any of the thousand other vecas, and other tournament players will not have to worry about volatile rating incidents.

Please let me know what you guys think, thanks.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Jul '16 12:30
    Originally posted by henjutsu
    Hi all,

I have been struggling for a while to understand why veca has thousands of games and constantly times out in all of them. This results in having to play against him when he's rated 900 half the time. A possible solution that I believe would be an improvement to community would be to redirect all of veca's games to actually be set up against ve ...[text shortened]... e to worry about volatile rating incidents.

Please let me know what you guys think, thanks.
    Veca tends to enter a lot of the same tournaments as I do(for all I know he enters every tournament going -I haven't checked)
    I've had several opportunities to time him out but don't usually bother but that is my personal choice(except in clan games where clan results are affected)
    Others obviously do time him out which is why his rating is so low.
    Almost invariably he will move against me before the automatic timeout feature kicks in.
    I don't think he's manipulating his rating deliberately.It's just the way he uses the site.
    I don't really care about my rating or anybody else's for that matter but just enjoy a challenging game of chess.Again, that's a personal choice.
    There's 2 ways to address the issue.Don't include timeout wins and losses in the rating calculation or restrict players to a maximum number of games
    Neither is really satisfactory
  3. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    27 Jul '16 14:05
    Originally posted by venda
    Veca tends to enter a lot of the same tournaments as I do(for all I know he enters every tournament going -I haven't checked)
    I've had several opportunities to time him out but don't usually bother but that is my personal choice(except in clan games where clan results are affected)
    Others obviously do time him out which is why his rating is so low.
    Almost ...[text shortened]... ing calculation or restrict players to a maximum number of games
    Veca does seem to enter every tournament that he can, so other players with a similar tournament rating to veca's may find themselves playing many games against him at the same time.
    We can't be sure of his 'true' rating, but based on his highest ratings let's say he's a 1600 player.
    Another 1600 player with ten games on the go against him could expect to win as many as they lose, and neither gain nor lose rating points.
    But when he's rated 800, they'll gain 0 points for every win against him, and lose 32 points for every loss.
    Over ten games that's a ratings drop of 160 points that they shouldn't have lost.
    Many people do care about their ratings, so I can understand people getting fed up with this.
    You have to put in a lot of hard work to get all those points back.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Jul '16 15:10
    Originally posted by Tommovich
    Veca does seem to enter every tournament that he can, so other players with a similar tournament rating to veca's may find themselves playing many games against him at the same time.
    We can't be sure of his 'true' rating, but based on his highest ratings let's say he's a 1600 player.
    Another 1600 player with ten games on the go against him could expect ...[text shortened]... getting fed up with this.
    You have to put in a lot of hard work to get all those points back.
    There's been many forum debates about ratings floors and other suggestions so it's not really relevant to go over them again here, but you make some good points and your analysis is spot on
  5. Subscriberhenjutsu
    InsectRightsAdvocate
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 00:39
    Originally posted by venda
    There's 2 ways to address the issue.Don't include timeout wins and losses in the rating calculation or restrict players to a maximum number of games
    What about something that's triggered by losing over 300 points by timeout, at which point all remaining games become unrated and the account becomes provisional for the next 20?

Ugh, I see the problem here, we are trying to come up with a law to deal with just one specific deviancy, but it would probably end up affecting someone else negatively.
  6. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 01:29
    How about using a player's tournament entry rating for calculations. That way, I won't lose a heap of points if I lose to a player with a current rating of 600 but with a TER of 1900. If someone can enter a particular banded tournament, then others should not be penalized by their artificially-low rating.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Aug '16 13:15
    Just noticed Veca's subs have expired.
    Unless it's an oversight he may be "running down" his current 1200+ games.
    In any case ,he can't enter anymore tournaments until they're renewed.
  8. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    04 Aug '16 08:26
    Originally posted by jertamev
    How about using a player's tournament entry rating for calculations. That way, I won't lose a heap of points if I lose to a player with a current rating of 600 but with a TER of 1900. If someone can enter a particular banded tournament, then others should not be penalized by their artificially-low rating.
    Agreed, or their highest average rating would do.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Aug '16 19:50
    Originally posted by Benjamin Barker
    Agreed, or their highest average rating would do.
    I believe this has been suggested by someone before and I think it is a good idea. Have one rating for Clans and another Rating for tournaments. I don't think it was accepted well at the time it was suggested.

Regards,
    -VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree