Absurd Escapism

Absurd Escapism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So you think that our choices don't determine where we will spend eternity? If not what does?
How can someone choose to be in a place they don't believe exists?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by divegeester
How can someone choose to be in a place they don't believe exists?
By choosing to suppress the truth I guess.

Moves
04 Sep 16

'Proven' according to what and whose criteria?
Exactly. How can we speak of universal truths when we each have our own criteria.

The best you can muster is that 'God's existence is a universal truth',....for you.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Exactly. How can we speak of universal truths when we each have our own criteria.

The best you can muster is that 'God's existence is a universal truth',....for you.
Without God the existence of universal truth doesn't make sense. And to cagtegorically say that there is no universal truth is self defeating, because for it to be true it would have to be a universal statement of truth.

Moves
04 Sep 16

Without God the existence of universal truth doesn't make sense. And to cagtegorically say that there is no universal truth is self defeating, because for it to be true it would have to be a universal statement of truth.
You misunderstand. There may indeed be universal truths. You just can't talk about them due to your finite and limited existence. (I'm in the same boat).

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Sep 16

Without God the existence of universal truth doesn't make sense.

“There are no gods.”

If there are, in fact, no gods, then that statement is universally true. If it turns out that there is, in fact, at least one god, then the statement is false.

The universal truth of this statement depends precisely on there not being a god. Thus, we have at least one logical case in which there can be a universal truth without any god. That is sufficient to refute your claim that universal truth requires a god in order to make sense.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Sep 16
1 edit

By choosing to suppress the truth I guess.
But how is that possible? How can you seriously believe that a person gets told about eternal hell, rejects it, surpresses it, and subsequently therefore chooses to spend eternity there?

You are already coming across to me as being an unthinking callous Christian ideologue who will stubbornly stand on the head of a pin and claim to hold the ground.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
04 Sep 16

Originally posted by vistesd
[b] Without God the existence of universal truth doesn't make sense.

“There are no gods.”

If there are, in fact, no gods, then that statement is universally true. If it turns out that there is, in fact, at least one god, then the statement is false.

The universal truth of this statement depends precisely on there not being a god. ...[text shortened]... t is sufficient to refute your claim that universal truth requires a god in order to make sense.[/b]
If there were no gods how would you logically be able to know that with absolute certainty?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Sep 16

If there were no gods how would you logically be able to know that with absolute certainty?
How do you know with absolute certainty that there is one?

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Sep 16

Why would you think that there can be no truths that we don't know--or even cannot know? I was only refuting your claim about universal truth being necessarily god-dependent.

F

Moves
04 Sep 16

It is my stance on 'divine justice' as depicted by the Bible.
This question remains unanswered: What practical moral lessons can humanity draw from your concepts [i.e. 'all wrongdoing = equally evil' and 'real justice/fairness = same punishment for everything'] as it tries to formulate and implement justice here 'on earth'?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
05 Sep 16

What do you mean by "universally true"? You see, the sentence: "I wrote this sentence yesterday.". Will be false for another twenty hours or so, it will then be true for twenty four hours and start being false again in 44 hours. So do you mean for all time, or just within a forward light cone? I think that it is possible to produce propositions which are in accordance with fact and have always and will always be in accordance with fact, in other words universally true. "This sentence was written by DeepThought." is entirely true. It is as true on Mars as it is here, in fact it is true throughout the entire universe and for its entire history, it is a universal, if unimportant, truth. I don't think that the word "universal" adds anything to the word "truth". You do seem to like adding qualifiers like "universal" and "absolute" in front of things, possibly to make them sound more profound, or did you mean something specific when you used the qualifier "universal"?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Sep 16

[b] Without God the existence of universal truth doesn't make sense.

“There are no gods.”

The universal truth of this statement depends precisely on there not being a god. ...[text shortened]... t is sufficient to refute your claim that universal truth requires a god in order to make sense.[/b]
There is a God.
There are gods.
There are no gods or God.
One of these would be universally true depending on the correct answer true?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Sep 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You misunderstand. There may indeed be universal truths. You just can't talk about them due to your finite and limited existence. (I'm in the same boat).
If the following statement were true: "There is a red mustang parked in my driveway and it belongs to me". Can this statement ever be a universal truth? If so why can't I talk about it?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
05 Sep 16
1 edit

Why would you think that there can be no truths that we don't know--or even cannot know? I was only refuting your claim about universal truth being necessarily god-dependent.
Ok I should have said it this way: The existence of universal moral truth makes more sense to me if there is a God. If there is no God, what would the 'lawgiver' of universal moral truths be?