1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 06:44
    What sorts of conditions or assurances would be necessary or sufficient to make it worthwhile to consume an elixir of immortality?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 06:57
    @fmf said
    What sorts of conditions or assurances would be necessary or sufficient to make it worthwhile to consume an elixir of immortality?
    You mean immortality in this life?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:081 edit
    1. I'd want my wife to have access to the elixir as well.

2. If I had to choose an unchanging age, I'd want to be, say, 40.

3. I'd want to be able to forget some things or some experiences so there'd always be something to get into, to learn or to do that seemed new.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:09
    @pb1022 said
    FWIW, I can’t imagine any Christian wanting to live his or her current life forever. Not only would they miss out on Heaven, meeting God and being reunited with loved ones, they’d likely experience a rapidly degenerating society and world if they remained on earth.

Not saying Christians should look forward to death, but I can’t imagine any who’d want to permanently avoid it.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:101 edit
    @pb1022 said
    Of course. Christians, for example, have no specific ideas about what their anticipated everlasting life is going to be like, and they certainly cannot demand conditions or assurances.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:12
    @pb1022 said
    FWIW, I can’t imagine any Christian wanting to live his or her current life forever. Not only would they miss out on Heaven, meeting God and being reunited with loved ones, they’d likely experience a rapidly degenerating society and world if they remained on earth.

Not saying Christians should look forward to death, but I can’t imagine any who’d want to permanently avoid it.
    I'd have thought this was not a thread for Christians really. Do you think it is?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:13
    @fmf said
    1. I'd want my wife to have access to elixir as well.

2. If I had to choose an unchanging age, I'd want to be, say, 40.

3. I'd want to be able to forget some things or some experiences so there'd always be something to get into, to learn or to do that seemed new.
    And the conditions of society?

All these people not dying and more and more babies being born?

The stress on resources?

Inequality likely getting even worse and people becoming violent in their anger and desperation?

Sounds like fun!
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:15
    @fmf said
    Of course. Christians, for example, have no specific ideas about what their anticipsted everlasting life is going to be like, and they certainly cannot demand conditions or assurances.
    “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.”

(Revelation 21:1-5)
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:15
    @pb1022 said
    And the conditions of society?
    Maintaining or improving the conditions of society would be something that could keep one busy.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:16
    @fmf said
    Maintaining or improving the conditions of society would be something that could keep one busy.
    And how many people are given the option of this elixir?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:17
    @pb1022 said
    All these people not dying and more and more babies being born?

The stress on resources?
    I would imagine the fertility rate would stabilize at replacement levels.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:17
    @fmf said
    Yeah, ‘cause mankind’s done such a bang-up job so far 🙄
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:18
    @pb1022 said
    And how many people are given the option of this elixir?
    I don't know. I haven't got that built into my conditions or assurances... aside from my wife, snd maybe my children.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:18
    @fmf said
    I would imagine the fertility rate would stabilize at replacement levels.
    By government fiat?

Ain’t gonna happen voluntarily particularly if the elixir is widely offered.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '22 07:19
    @fmf said
    I don't know. I haven't got that built into my conditions or assurances... aside from my wife, snd maybe my children.
    Oh, Ok.

I thought this was going to be widely available.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree