Bible Translations

Bible Translations

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
27 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
That's because you're doing it wrong.
I am thinking of getting myself a pilgrims hat for preaching from house to house. A tall one with a shiny silver buckle. I feel it will add a little authentic touch. If I carry a Kings James Bible and quote passages with thee and thy in it, this will also have the desired effect.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Feb 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I am thinking of getting myself a pilgrims hat for preaching from house to house. A tall one with a shiny silver buckle. I feel it will add a little authentic touch. If I carry a Kings James Bible and quote passages with thee and thy in it, this will also have the desired effect.
Then how will they know you're a JW?

But wear the hat. It might effect your preaching in a positive way.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Feb 17

That's because you're doing it wrong.
You mean I'm supposed to want to be bored?

rc

Moves
27 Feb 17

Originally posted by josephw
Then how will they know you're a JW?

But wear the hat. It might effect your preaching in a positive way.
I tell them, its the first thing I usually say. With a pilgrim hat though I will be able to gently tip it as I introduce myself.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
27 Feb 17

I thought it was mandatory for all JWs to wear silly hats? (Might be confusing you with Morris Dancers).

rc

Moves
27 Feb 17

I thought it was mandatory for all JWs to wear silly hats? (Might be confusing you with Morris Dancers).
Silly hats? its the art of style me ol son.

M

Moves
27 Feb 17

Not really sure about what you're driving at.

According to the scriptures God inspired and preserves His Word. Man is only the instrument.
I apologize. I misread your post and replied accordingly.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by MarshallPrice
I apologize. I misread your post and replied accordingly.
No big deal Marshall. I do that a lot. It's not the easiest thing communicating in these forums sometimes, but it's a big plus you saw my post and replied. I thought you might have missed it in the fray or just got bored with the topic. That's ok too.

Sometimes we just don't get each other. We're only human after all. 😉

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Feb 17

I tell them, its the first thing I usually say. With a pilgrim hat though I will be able to gently tip it as I introduce myself.
Well, to tell the truth, I see you dressed as a leprechaun. 😉

rc

Moves
27 Feb 17

Well, to tell the truth, I see you dressed as a leprechaun. 😉
and to tell you the truth back I see you as busted and taking the fifth, feigning boredom and wearing a Davy Crockett hat.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Feb 17

and to tell you the truth back I see you as busted and taking the fifth, feigning boredom and wearing a Davy Crockett hat.
Deny, deny, deny. 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Mar 17
5 edits

Now when Paul quotes directly from Joel Chapter 2:32 in the Greek scriptures we also include the divine name because its a direct quotation from the original Hebrew. Thus the NWT reads, 'everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved' Romans 10:13. Most translations read, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord.'

There is an unbroken chain of logic in verses 9 -13. The name JESUS is to be confessed, and the heart is to believe in His resurrection in order to be saved.

Verse 9

"That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

The next verse 10 begins with 'For" to indicate a continuation of thought -

"FOR with the heart there is believing unto righteousness, and with the mouth there is confession unto salvation."

The thought of the next verse 11 is logically tied to the previous verses 9 and 10 also with the word "For"

"FOR the Scripture says, 'Everyone who believes on Him shall not be put to shame.' "

The only "Scripture" to Paul then was the Hebrew Bible, the Old Testament. There is no possibility of escaping the Apostle's intention to make the name "JESUS " the "HIM" upon man will believes in and will not be put to shame.

Jesus is in Paul's teaching IS the Jehovah God incarnate to whom the quotation from Isaiah 28:16 now refers to -

Isaiah 28:16

"Therefore thus says the Lord Jehovah: Indeed I lay a stone in Zion as a foundation, A tested stone, A precious cornerstone as a foundation firmly established;

He who believes will not hasten away."

In Romans 9:9-13 an unbroken logical sequence definitely applies this Old Testament Scripture AND the following one in verse 13 to Jesus as Lord.

"For" again connects verse 12 and 13 to this "train" of explanation about calling on the name of Jesus to be saved, confessing His name, believing in His resurrection.

"FOR there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, (v.12a)
FOR the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him. (v.12b)

FOR 'whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.' " (v.13)

It is a direct quote from Joel. Both I and Robbie said so. I did not say it was a direct translation so that Paul jumps from Greek to Hebrew on that quotation.

Robbie wants to make "confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord" separated from "whoever calls upon the name of [YHWH] or Jehovah" . If you read the passage with the connecting "For"s you better grasp what is Paul's revelation and teaching.

It amounts to Jesus being the God, Jehovah of the Scripture, incarnated.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 Mar 17

Originally posted by sonship

There is an unbroken chain of logic in verses 9 -13. Verse 9
mmm

I think you will first have to prove that you understand Logic.

P

Moves
02 Mar 17

No.

Change the words and the meanings change. It's a copyright issue. Modern translations require that they contain a percentage of difference to obtain a copyright. It's about the money.

Flexibility not dogmatism is key to understanding this issue. I personally adhere to the concept that the KJV is inerrant, but I also reference as many sources as ne ...[text shortened]... flawed understanding will allow.

In the end I am true to my faith. As yet I am not perfected.
This is exactly why we read in the scripture, 'if you believe in eating anything, then don't condemn those who only believe in eating veggie's.' . In other words, if you are true to your faith, and love the K J V. Then do so. And if you read the Jerusalem Bible, and are true to your faith, do that. The bottom line is still the same, God loves us! And we are brothers in Him. "Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

P

Moves
02 Mar 17

Originally posted by sonship
What is crazy ?

Is it crazy to confess Jesus as Lord and believe in our hearts that God has raised Him from the dead ?

Is it crazy to tell the Lord Jesus that we love Him?
Is it crazy to live day by day reminding ourselves in praise that He loves us?

Didn't the word of God say to love Him with the [b]"all your heart"
?
The "all y ...[text shortened]... not?

Oh, I don't hunt for poison snakes to dance around with dangling them from my mouth.
Often I find your posts "long winded" , read about the first two or three paragraphs then skip to the end. (Don't feel bad about that, you are in good company- Paul the Apostle is the same way - LLLLong winded) (you don't know that yet, but when you meet him you will know what i mean)

This post is just beautiful. In reading it, the Spirit of God leap in my heart!