Bible Translations

Bible Translations

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by galveston75
It would be the NWT for many reasons. One reason which is a very important one is that in most bibles the name of God which is Jehovah has been removed from them by almost 7K times. First why would the name of Almighty God be removed in most bibles and even completely removed in some? It actually helps in the formulation of the trinity doctrine, but that ...[text shortened]... if it really can be trusted to be truthful on all levels if it removes the name of Almighty God?
Galveston, What in bibles other than NWT represents the removal of the name Jehovah? What I mean is...
In translation is God = Jehovah, Does Lord = Jehovah, Almighty = Jehovah? Are there other names of God that are removed?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by MarshallPrice
I'm aware many people here are Christians, and I'm just curious as to what translation of The Bible you personally read and why.
It is a pointless a discussions as what colour paper would you rather your Bible to be printed on. Regardless of the colour of the paper, the words of Christ which give eternal life is in no way affected... same with translation variations.

F

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
What other Bible scholars have made an independent study as to the accuracy and bias of Bible translations, none that I know of.
So there is only just this one scholar who has declared the NWT to be the best, nobody else? Just this one man whose analysis of translation accuracy you think is partly incorrect? There is no one else? Just him?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by leunammi
Galveston, What in bibles other than NWT represents the removal of the name Jehovah? What I mean is...
In translation is God = Jehovah, Does Lord = Jehovah, Almighty = Jehovah? Are there other names of God that are removed?
Yes some of those titles are some of the examples of where his name, Jehovah was removed. Actually if you'd like to read this if you have the time it will shed more light on his name and the removal of it better then I can. I type really slow...Lol. Let me know what you think. Steve.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102002022?q=titles+of+jehovah&p=par

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
So there is only just this one scholar who has declared the NWT to be the best, nobody else? Just this one man whose analysis of translation accuracy you think is partly incorrect? There is no one else? Just him?
Uh,,,there is about 8 million of us that would agree but even on a higher scale. Most of us were raised with other bibles and by far this is the best.

l

Moves
22 Feb 17

Yes some of those titles are some of the examples of where his name, Jehovah was removed. Actually if you'd like to read this if you have the time it will shed more light on his name and the removal of it better then I can. I type really slow...Lol. Let me know what you think. Steve.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102002022?q=titles+of+jehovah&p=par
Is the name Jehovah replaced by the NWT mainly OT or NT as well?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Interesting, we have an independent recognised linguistic expert, an associate professor who has surveyed the most popular English translations of the Bible and made a comparative study for bias in translation stating that the New world translation is the most accurate and you say and I quote,' I would not give a moment's notice of serious attention' ...[text shortened]... leading to death, to the former ones a fragrance of life leading to life. -" 2 Corinthinas 2:16
"For to God we are a sweet fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the latter ones an odor of death leading to death, to the former ones a fragrance of life leading to life. -" 2 Corinthinas 2:16"

Perfect timing with the perfect scripture!!!!!!

F

Moves
22 Feb 17

Uh,,,there is about 8 million of us that would agree but even on a higher scale. Most of us were raised with other bibles and by far this is the best.
Isn't this just argumentum ad populam? And if this is the kind of point you choose to make, what if there are more than 8 million people who think another, different version of the Bible is the best "by far"?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Mainly the OT. Where titles are used it must be understood whether it is that of Jehovah or Jesus it is speaking of.
Again if your interested her is more info on the word "lord" and it's use in the bible.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002771

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Isn't this just argumentum ad populam? And if this is the kind of point you choose to make, what if there are more than 8 million people who think another, different version of the Bible is the best "by far"?
I'm sure there are......

F

Moves
22 Feb 17

I'm sure there are......
So what traction do you think your 'point' about "8 million" people actually has?

rc

Moves
22 Feb 17

There are to my knowledge about 260? occurrence of our having restored the divine name as manuscripts, codices come to light. The criticism that some have levelled against us for doing so is that we are taking liberties with the text. This is not the case. If the divine name is quoted either directly or in abbreviated form in the Hebrew scriptures we carry that over into the Greek portion of scripture.

For example Joel 2:32 - 'everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved'. Many translations render this as, 'everyone who calls on the name of the lord will be saved'. When you look however at the original Hebrew, the Divine name of God is present.

http://biblehub.com/text/joel/2-32.htm

Now when Paul quotes directly from Joel Chapter 2:32 in the Greek scriptures we also include the divine name because its a direct quotation from the original Hebrew. Thus the NWT reads, 'everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved' Romans 10:13. Most translations read, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord.'

There are some instances when there is no direct Hebrew text carrying the divine name and these are probably the most controversial, but even here we have references. If its rendered in another translation for example we have a tendency to include it in ours.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
22 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
So what traction do you think your 'point' about "8 million" people actually has?
Because of the respect I have of those 8 million to choose to use and follow Jehovah's guidance no matter what the rest of the world thinks of us. He said only those who "call on the name of Jehovah, will be saved". Our hope and goal by hard door to door teaching work is to help find as many humans who want to use his name and in turn themselves find more who are looking for that relationship with him.
How can anyone else have a close relationship with him when they don't even call him by his name?

rc

Moves
22 Feb 17

"For to God we are a sweet fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the latter ones an odor of death leading to death, to the former ones a fragrance of life leading to life. -" 2 Corinthinas 2:16"

Perfect timing with the perfect scripture!!!!!!
yes ol sonhsip cannot be saved it seems.

F

Moves
22 Feb 17

Because of the respect I have of those 8 million to choose to use and follow Jehovah's guidance no matter what the rest of the world thinks of us. He said only those who "call on the name of Jehovah, will be saved". Our hope and goal by hard door to door teaching work is to help find as many humans who want to use his name and in turn themselves find mor ...[text shortened]... ow can anyone else have a close relationship with him when they don't even call him by his name?
What do you think of Jason BeDuhn's criticism of the way the name "Jehovah" is used in the NWT?