Bigotry and Human Evolution

Bigotry and Human Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

This is an interesting article. Apparently, denial of human evolution is positively correlated with bigotry.

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2022-32126-001

Who'da thunk it?

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat

I read the abstract, not the full text. I would be interested to know what correlation if any there is with levels of higher education and adherence to a dogmatic/literalist religion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
This is an interesting article. Apparently, denial of human evolution is positively correlated with bigotry.

Who'da thunk it?
So in your opinion, evolution didn't produce lesser races?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
So in your opinion, evolution didn't produce lesser races?
In my opinion, there are no 'lesser' races.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
In my opinion, there are no 'lesser' races.
If we are products of evolution, doesn't that by definition mean some are better, and some are worse since we are all evolving? What would keep everything on par with everyone else if we were not the same? Being different races means that we are not the same by definition. If we were one race, that would be one thing, but that would mean that we all had to come from the same source, not different paths. The same could come from a single source, but different evolutionary paths would never produce equal races. You will have to explain your point of view how evolution could produce equal races with different paths unless, of course, you think they are equally no different than trees, ants, horses, goldfish, and alike. If there is nothing special about humans, they could be used as lab rats like we do rats?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
If we are products of evolution, doesn't that by definition mean some are better, and some are worse since we are all evolving? What would keep everything on par with everyone else if we were not the same? Being different races means that we are not the same by definition. If we were one race, that would be one thing, but that would mean that we all had to come from the same ...[text shortened]... and alike. If there is nothing special about humans, they could be used as lab rats like we do rats?
Some organisms are better suited to the niche in which they find themselves. Those organisms proliferate to the detriment of their competitors. Their competitors are not 'lesser', they're just not as successful.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
Some organisms are better suited to the niche in which they find themselves. Those organisms proliferate to the detriment of their competitors. Their competitors are not 'lesser', they're just not as successful.
Do you think some races are just not successful by the race they are?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Do you think some races are just not successful by the race they are?
What do you mean by 'race'?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
Are we something more than lab rats? What makes a distinction between humans and everything else by evolutionary theory?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
What do you mean by 'race'?
As a Christian, I believe there is one human race; do you believe the same as an evolutionist?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
As a Christian, I believe there is one human race; do you believe the same as an evolutionist?
Of course. Homo sapiens sapiens.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Are we something more than lab rats? What makes a distinction between humans and everything else by evolutionary theory?
We're smarter than rats, but one could argue that rats are the more successful species.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Feb 22
3 edits

@avalanchethecat

I think Charles Darwin must not have gotten the memo.
The original title of his book in full was:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

"Favoured Races" Mr. Darwin ?

Adolf Hitler also must not have gotten that memo and all the quack doctors there and other countries preaching and practicing Eugenics.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Feb 22
1 edit

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

I think Charles Darwin must not have gotten the memo.
The original title of his book in full was:

On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

"Favoured Races" Mr. Darwin ?

Adolf Hitler also must ...[text shortened]... en that memo and all the quack doctors there and other countries preaching and practicing Eugenics.
Sure, and I guess Tomás de Torquemada didn't get the memo from Jesus, eh? Hmm, come to think of it, I wonder if maybe you missed that one too...

rain

Moves
21 Feb 22
2 edits

@avalanchethecat said

Who'da thunk it?
The article says the study was conducted using religious people, who tend to have lower belief in evolution.

This study provides evidence that the more religious one is, the more racist, bigoted, etc. they are. It just so happens that religious people tend to have lower belief in evolution; I don't think there's any direct correlation believe evolution and bigotry, other than that more educated people tend to believe in evolution, and more educated people tend to be less biased.

So really, this article shows a correlation with higher education and a lack of religious views resulting in less bias than uneducated, more religious people.