1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 01:53
    "Created to Hear God: Four Unique and Proven Ways to Confidently Discern His Voice"

I am soon going to listen to the audiobook version of this.

What evidence do you predict the book will offer to support the notion that we were "created to hear God" and that we can discern His voice?

As a note, to be clear about where I am coming from: I'd say that our consciousness and our evolution as social beings may well have created ingredients/capacities conducive to being receptive to ancient narratives and dreams that shape our instincts.

So I am quite open-minded on this.

I undertake to get back to you as I work my way through it.
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 14:072 edits
    @fmf said
    "Created to Hear God: Four Unique and Proven Ways to Confidently Discern His Voice"

What evidence do you predict the book will offer to support the notion that we were "created to hear God" and that we can discern His voice?

As a note, to be clear about where I am coming from: I'd say that our cons ...[text shortened]...

Were I to guess, I would think the author would suggest we were created to hear God if we are listening for not to a loud and thunderous proclamation, but rather to a soft and quiet voice. Scripture gives several examples of this, such as the one below.

God does not shout. He speaks quietly and softly, in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:11-12).
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 14:56
    @fmf said

As a note, to be clear about where I am coming from: I'd say that our cons ...[text shortened]...

You are ever creating but never finishing what you create.

As a Christian converted into atheism, can you really believe that we can hear non-existence?

I don't have the book to read which you want to discuss. Are you going to provide a free copy to anyone wanting to participate in this newly created thread?
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 15:07
    @mchill said

Were I to guess, I would think the author would suggest we were created to hear God if we are listening for not to a loud and thunderous proclamation, but rather to a soft and quiet voice. Scripture gives several examples of this, ...[text shortened]... w.

God does not shout. He speaks quietly and softly, in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:11-12).
    God can also speak loudly, and shouts too. "Hey You" with your ear against the wall, waiting for someone to call out....can you hear me?

Amos said, ‘The Lord speaks loudly from Zion. Yes, he shouts from Jerusalem. As a result, the green fields will become dry and the grass will die. There will be nothing for the sheep to eat. Even the grass on Mount Carmel mountain will die.’
  5. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 15:43
    @pettytalk said
    God can also speak loudly, and shouts too. "Hey You" with your ear against the wall, waiting for someone to call out....can you hear me?

Amos said, ‘The Lord speaks loudly from Zion. Yes, he shouts from Jerusalem. As a result, the green fields will become dry and the grass will die. There will be nothing for the sheep to eat. Even the grass on Mount Carmel mountain will die.’
    That's nice, but why are you telling me his?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 16:13
    @mchill said
    His posting is a bit randomised, isn’t it.
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 16:30
    @mchill said
    "God does not shout. He speaks quietly and softly, in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:11-12)."

My oh my, some people have very, very short memories! Can I say this any louder?
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 16:402 edits
    @pettytalk said
    "God does not shout. He speaks quietly and softly, in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:11-12)."

My oh my, some people have very, very short memories! Can I say this any louder?
    If you would please go back and read what FMF said it was this:

What evidence do you predict the book will offer to support the notion that we were "created to hear God."

What I wrote was my prediction, nothing more. If you want to debate, please go to the debates forum. 🙂
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 17:42
    @mchill said

What I wrote was my prediction, nothing more. If you want to debate, please go to the debates forum. 🙂
    Your quote actually provided a contradiction to the Amos quote provided by PettyTalk, not a prediction.

"God does not shout. He speaks quietly and softly, in a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:11-12).

‘The Lord roars from Zion and thunders from Jerusalem" (Amos 1:2).

The Bible is full of such contradictions. Thanks for highlighting one.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 22:04
    @pettytalk said
    You are ever creating but never finishing what you create.

As a Christian converted into atheism, can you really believe that we can hear non-existence?

I don't have the book to read which you want to discuss. Are you going to provide a free copy to anyone wanting to participate in this newly created thread?
    You seem to have misunderstood the OP.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 22:06
    @mchill said
    Were I to guess, I would think the author would suggest we were created to hear God if we are listening for not to a loud and thunderous proclamation, but rather to a soft and quiet voice. Scripture gives several examples of this, such as the one below.

Thank you. Your predition is noted.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 22:10
    @pettytalk said
    I am curious about what claims the book will make.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 00:571 edit
    @fmf said
    Thank you. Your predition is noted.
    I thought “predition” was a real word and I didn’t know what it meant. I thought for a moment before googling it and predicted it would mean something similar to a cross between perdition and blandness. Disappointingly my Google search revealed that “predition” was mearly a typo.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 01:43
    @divegeester said
    I thought “predition” was a real word and I didn’t know what it meant. I though for a moment before googling it and predicted it would mean something similar to a cross between perdition and blandness. Disappointingly my Google search revealed that “predition” was mearly a typo.
    Yep. I meant to type prediction.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '23 01:50
    @fmf said

I shan't be proceeding any further into this book. Too much competition for access to my ears and my time.

It is a disappointment. I thought it might be a contemplation on psychology and anthropology and make an interesting case.

Alas, it is instead an exercise in channeling dasa, so to speak.

It's this kind of prose:

As a teenager, I didn't think I could hear God's voice, thinking it was like trying to tune into a radio station and never finding the correct frequency. But one night at a conference, I had an encounter with God that changed everything. I realized He had been speaking to me the whole time. I just hadn't learned to recognize His voice.

Interesting to hear her testimony, yes, but it's not thought-provoking.

Call off the predictive dogs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree