1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Not being a resident of the UK, nor ever attending school in the UK, I would be interested in hearing what 'RE' is.
    RE in the UK is like PE in America: physical education (sports). Religious education = comparative religion, that is, not: "this is true" but rather, "this is what different people believe/worship".
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    I believe that almost every single atheist I have ever met found the ideologies of religionists either incoherent or repellent - or a mixture of both.

If an atheist "hates" female genital mutilation carried out by Christians in Niger, for example, then that "hate" is directed at the belief and practice of female genital mutilation, and not at some imagined s ...[text shortened]... the mutilators think they are subject to and that the atheists have no reason to believe exists.
    And yet you focus on the fact that these people are Christian (converts) instead of the fact that they belong to certain ethnic groups in Africa that have been carrying out these practices of FGM for untold generations, mainly because of the initial spread of Islam through Africa hundreds of years ago.

But go ahead, call "religionists" incoherent and repellent. I find your focus on the new Christianity of these peoples as a reason why they practice FGM quite incoherent and repellent as well.

Your bias is showing. You use these people for your argument merely because they happen to be Christian (now). You're purposefully painting Christians as the "bad guys" here. And yeah, that's repellent.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is nothing biased in that statement. It is an observation of your behaviour on this forum. Is it untrue in any way? Do tell.
    Of course it's untrue.

As I've said to FMF numerous times, the way I react to certain people on these forums is a direct result of the bias they show towards me and others, usually other Christians. You're just spouting what FMF and other equally biased people have said. That's the way bias works. It has zero relation to the truth.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:32
    Originally posted by moonbus
    RE in the UK is like PE in America: physical education (sports). Religious education = comparative religion, that is, not: "this is true" but rather, "this is what different people believe/worship".
    Moderates and liberals in the US have been battling the religious right, the fundamentalists, for years over this very issue. I don't want "creationism" taught in public schools either. School is for learning facts, like science and math and history and literature. School is not the place for religion. We have a choice of churches for that. Unfortunately, most school children in the US do not receive any comparative religion education (and are thus ignorant of most of the world) until they reach college. That's where I first encountered it.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:57
    Of course it's untrue.
    OK, can you name a thread that you did not think was a train wreck from the start and that you did not attempt to derail at the first opportunity?

As I've said to FMF numerous times, the way I react to certain people on these forums is a direct result of the bias they show towards me and others, usually other Christians.
    Yes, we can all play the 'I am acting this way because of how you treat me' card.

You're just spouting what FMF and other equally biased people have said.
    Just because we all agree about you doesn't automatically make us biased. You need to provide some actual evidence.

That's the way bias works. It has zero relation to the truth.
    Well go ahead and demonstrate that what I have said has zero relation to the truth.
    You yourself stated openly that you were biased about this thread from the start. Now you are claiming to be unbiased. It seems to me that you are the one who is having difficulty with the truth.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 13:59
    Of course it's untrue.
    Will you also please state whether or not you are the serial thumbs downer?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Will you also please state whether or not you are the serial thumbs downer?
    You presume that there is only one...
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:18
    Moderates and liberals in the US have been battling the religious right, the fundamentalists, for years over this very issue. I don't want "creationism" taught in public schools either. School is for learning facts, like science and math and history and literature. School is not the place for religion. We have a choice of churches for that. Unfortunate ...[text shortened]... s ignorant of most of the world) until they reach college. That's where I first encountered it.
    I'd have to disagree with you on that. I don't see any drawback with teaching comparative religious education in school, and can't see why anybody would object. Kids, after all, are already getting indoctrinated into their parents' faith or lack thereof, if school ain't gonna teach 'em the alternatives, how's it ever going to happen?
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:211 edit
    God hates trolls and copy paste spammers.

That's why He never goes to the General Forum.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'd have to disagree with you on that. I don't see any drawback with teaching comparative religious education in school, and can't see why anybody would object. Kids, after all, are already getting indoctrinated into their parents' faith or lack thereof, if school ain't gonna teach 'em the alternatives, how's it ever going to happen?
    I'm not convinced about teaching it as a separate subject however.

I would rather it be taught as part of history and politics/current affairs as those subjects
    make no sense without factoring peoples beliefs [of all kinds].
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:501 edit
    And yet you focus on the fact that these people are Christian (converts) instead of the fact that they belong to certain ethnic groups in Africa that have been carrying out these practices of FGM for untold generations, mainly because of the initial spread of Islam through Africa hundreds of years ago.

But go ahead, call "religionists" incoherent and rep ...[text shortened]... ). You're purposefully painting Christians as the "bad guys" here. And yeah, that's repellent.
    As I said, I do not think atheists would "hate" the God figure worshipped by the Christians in Niger that I mentioned ~ seeing as they don't believe He exists ~ but they may well "hate" their beliefs and their behaviour. That was my point.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:52
    As I've said to FMF numerous times, the way I react to certain people on these forums is a direct result of the bias they show towards me and others, usually other Christians. You're just spouting what FMF and other equally biased people have said. That's the way bias works. It has zero relation to the truth.
    People expressing different opinions on a debate and discussion board is par for the course.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:552 edits
    Do christians hate Odin?
    Do christians hate Odin?

avalanchethecat, your mention of the name "Odin" here reminded me of my own Scandinavian [Swedish] Ancestry. Specifically of tales my brothers and I were told of the ancient hatreds of Norwegians toward the Jewish People in Viking mythology [which had something to do with sources of energy though I haven't a clue as to what or why]. Direct answer to your interesting question as far I'm concerned is obviously a resounding "No" [I've never hated anyone on planet earth; nor do I know the points of view of other believers in Christ regarding "Odin"]. Your personal view of Odin? .
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 14:59
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]avalanchethecat, your mention of the name "Odin" here reminded me of my own Scandinavian [Swedish] Ancestry. Specifically of tales my brothers and I were told of the ancient hatreds of Norwegians toward the Jewish People in Viking mythology [which had something to do with sources of energy though I haven't a clue as to what or why]. Direct answer to your interesting question as far I'm concerned is obviously a resounding "No" [I've never hated anyone on planet earth; nor do I know the points of view of other believers in Christ regarding "Odin"]. Your personal view of Odin? .

Do you think you could decide ~ or choose ~ to stop believing in Jesus and start believing in Odin instead?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '15 15:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne to twhitehead
    ... you're another one like FMF who responds to those he doesn't agree with with disdain.
    I believe that I am more civil, less combative, and more focussed on what the topic is and what people are saying about it than you are. By a long chalk.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree