False Science Exposed

False Science Exposed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
2 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
That's a real low blow. I might be old like sonhouse, but when it comes to trying to get the true meaning from scripture, we are far apart. Please say you didn't really mean it.
I used to feel the same as Suzianne, but it occurred to me if I'm more concerned with meaning than with what is being said, I could be setting myself up for not seeing the actual message in front of me. That's why I've switched over to using the English Standard Version, because it uses a direct word for word rather than thought to word method of translating.

I got the idea for switching translations because of how annoyed I get whenever someone consistently paraphrases what I'm saying, and then gets the meaning wrong... then they'll expect me to respond to their response, even though they aren't actually responding to anything I've said. Anyway, even though a correct word for word method* of translation might make me feel uncomfortable or seem strange, I would still prefer to know what is actually being said.

* I say method of translation, because after the initial translation it would still take a bit of tweaking to get it into a readable (English) form for publication.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
Well, I watched the whole thing today. The first one that is, the second one runs for nearly 3 hours so I won't bother with that one. Anywho... here is my not so kind review of that (for lack of a better word) strange video.

There's plenty of evidence we can see in the sky to at least confirm the earths axis tilting at a consistent angle. One pi ...[text shortened]... s, because it defeats its own purpose and gives critics of Christianity something to hoot about.
I thought someone might look at the shorter video. Very few people are willing to look at a video that is nearly 3 hours long. As I said before, I know very little about astronomy, but I thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss, since some say the Holy Bible declares that the earth does not move.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

[b]I don't see why the earth has to be spinning like a top. It certainly doesn't look or feel like it is...

It's a good thing that it does spin... can you imagine what the weather might be like if it didn't?

When I was 12 years old my parents took me to the Space Needle in Seattle Washington. We went to the restaurant at the top of the Needle, a ...[text shortened]... servations like this helped to pass the time... until I got home and could do kid stuff again.😀[/b]
In the Geocentric model the sun and the moon go around the earth, so wouldn't that cause a change in the weather if the orbit of the sun is not a perfect circle? The moon does not appear to be spinning because no one at any location of the earth ever sees the other side of the moon. However, the moon must turn in exact sync one rotation as it goes around the earth to keep the same side always pointing toward the earth.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
2 edits

I thought someone might look at the shorter video. Very few people are willing to look at a video that is nearly 3 hours long. As I said before, I know very little about astronomy, but I thought this might be an interesting topic to discuss, since some say the Holy Bible declares that the earth does not move.
I don't recall running into a passage that says the earth does not move, at least not from an astronomical perspective. This could be an example of what I was talking about though, maybe someone saw a passage about the earths permanence and took that to mean it doesn't move.

There are prophecies that refer to things and circumstances that didn't exist then but do now, but other than that most passages in the Bible talk about things anyone back then could understand and relate to.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

In the Geocentric model the sun and the moon go around the earth, so wouldn't that cause a change in the weather if the orbit of the sun is not a perfect circle? The moon does not appear to be spinning because no one at any location of the earth ever sees the other side of the moon. However, the moon must turn in exact sync one rotation as it goes around the earth to keep the same side always pointing toward the earth.
The moon always facing the same side to earth is a bit of an oddity. What is even odder though is the moon also just happens to perfectly cover up the sun during an eclipse... from our perspective here on earth, the diameter of the sun appears to be exactly the same as the moons diameter.

A geocentric model could work if everything revolved around the earth (everything doesn't). We would need to assume some new previously unknown force able to cause everything in the sky to remain fixed in one position, and we would have to toss out almost everything we know about gravity and start all over again... something as massive as the sun revolving around the earth is difficult for me to imagine. And what would prevent black holes from wreaking havoc on galaxies (like ours for example) we presently assume are revolving around those massive gravity hubs?

But more importantly than all of that, I just now as I was writing this devised an IQ test that consists of only one question...

I call it the 7 second IQ test, because it shouldn't take more than 7 seconds to come up with the correct answer.

1. How many sides would a hexagon have if you added one more side to it?

By the way, this is not a timed test... so if it takes anyone longer than 7 seconds then no sweat, just take your time, give it some thought, and hurry it up and answer fast!!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

I don't recall running into a passage that says the earth does not move, at least not from an astronomical perspective. This could be an example of what I was talking about though, maybe someone saw a passage about the earths permanence and took that to mean it doesn't move.

There are prophecies that refer to things and circumstances that didn't ...[text shortened]... at most passages in the Bible talk about things anyone back then could understand and relate to.
I believe it comes from Psalm 96.

Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns;
The world also is firmly established,
It shall not be moved;
He shall judge the peoples righteously.”

(Psalm 96:10 NKJV)

This is repeated in a psalm of thanksgiving in 1 Chronicles 16:8-36 which is a composite of parts of three psalms. That is Psalms 105:1-15; 96:1-13; 106:1, 47-48. So since this is known to be in Hebrew poetry form, it may or may not literally mean the earth is stationary. But what other meaning makes sense?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

The moon always facing the same side to earth is a bit of an oddity. What is even odder though is the moon also just happens to perfectly cover up the sun during an eclipse... from our perspective here on earth, the diameter of the sun appears to be exactly the same as the moons diameter.

A geocentric model could work if everything revolved arou ...[text shortened]... onds then no sweat, just take your time, give it some thought, and hurry it up and answer fast!!
Well, the way I see it if you added another side to a hexagon which has six sides then it becomes a heptagon which has seven sides. Correct?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

I believe it comes from Psalm 96.

Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns;
The world also is firmly established,
It shall not be moved;
He shall judge the peoples righteously.”

(Psalm 96:10 NKJV)

This is repeated in a psalm of thanksgiving in 1 Chronicles 16:8-36 which is a composite of parts of three psalms. That is Psalms 105:1- ...[text shortened]... m, it may or may not literally mean the earth is stationary. But what other meaning makes sense?
At first glance it does appear to say "It" (the earth) shall not be moved. My first thought was to assume it literally means the earth is not moving or in motion, but then I looked at it again in context along with the previous line...

"The world also is firmly established,
It shall not be moved;"

It seems clear to me that the "it" in "It shall not be moved" refers to the previous line, "The world... is firmly established". Both lines appear to be referring to the same idea (firmly established; permanence, or permanent; etc) If I say to someone, "My mind is made up, my thoughts on this are firmly established and I shall not be moved" then what would "I shall not be moved" mean? See what I mean?

And consider what it might mean to someone reading that passage a few thousand years ago... it makes no sense for anyone today to assume anyone back then had an opinion one way or the other about heliocentric or geocentric motion.

Anyway, I'll check out those other verses as well as other translations when I have more time. It's an interesting topic and I'm sure I've run into those passages before, but it never occurred to me that it might have anything to do with astronoomy... astro astrology.. (pffft, I must getting tired) cosmology... (cosmetology?)

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

Well, the way I see it if you added another side to a hexagon which has six sides then it becomes a heptagon which has seven sides. Correct?
Well, yeah, I suppose... but it was actually meant to be a trick question.

A hexagon always has six sides. You can't add another side to a hexagon and still have a hexagon.😉

"How many sides would a hexagon have if you added one more side to it?"

Cape Town

Moves
06 Feb 15

In the Geocentric model the sun and the moon go around the earth, so wouldn't that cause a change in the weather if the orbit of the sun is not a perfect circle?
I don't know about where you live, but here in Cape Town, it gets colder at night (surely that's a change in the weather?).
We also have Winter and Summer. How would you explain that?

Cape Town

Moves
06 Feb 15

What is even odder though is the moon also just happens to perfectly cover up the sun during an eclipse... from our perspective here on earth, the diameter of the sun appears to be exactly the same as the moons diameter.
It would be odd if it were true. It isn't.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
3 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
It would be odd if it were true. It isn't.
Do you mean odd if they were the same diameter, or odd that from earth they appear to have the same diameter? If they didn't appear (from our vantage point here on earth) to have the same diameter, then how would nearly picture perfect eclipses of the sun be possible?

Edit: If you mean the corona is visible that's to be expected. Measurement of the earths diameter doesn't include its atmosphere, so there's no reason to include the suns atmosphere in its diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#mediaviewer/File:
Solar_eclipse_1999_4_NR.jpg

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I don't know about where you live, but here in Cape Town, it gets colder at night (surely that's a change in the weather?).
We also have Winter and Summer. How would you explain that?
I believe the earth gets its warmth from the sun, so it must have something to do with the position of the sun in relation to earth. Therefore, I believe the sun must be at a greater distance from your location when it is cold compared to when it is hot. The moon could also block some of the heat coming from the sun. Water and wind can also cool things off. Does that make any sense to you?

Moves
06 Feb 15

Do you mean odd if they were the same diameter, or odd that from earth they appear to have the same diameter? If they didn't appear (from our vantage point here on earth) to have the same diameter, then how would nearly picture perfect eclipses of the sun be possible?

[b]Edit:
If you mean the corona is visible that's to be expected. M ...[text shortened]... its diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#mediaviewer/File:
Solar_eclipse_1999_4_NR.jpg[/b]
The moons orbit is elliptical.

At it's closest point it's apparent size is larger than the Sun.
At it's farthest point it's apparent size is smaller than the Sun and Eclipses
that occur at such a time can never be total.
The moon is not exactly the same apparent size as the sun and there is nothing
perfect about it. And the moon has been able to cause eclipses of the sun for
it's entire history to date, and will continue to be able to do so for millions of
years to come.

And it's not at all odd that the moon rotates once per orbit and thus has one
side permanently facing us. It's due to a process called tidal locking, which
predicts that small objects orbiting close to large objects will tend to get
locked with one side always facing the larger object.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
The moons orbit is elliptical.

At it's closest point it's apparent size is larger than the Sun.
At it's farthest point it's apparent size is smaller than the Sun and Eclipses
that occur at such a time can never be total.
The moon is not exactly the same apparent size as the sun and there is nothing
perfect about it. And the moon has been able to ...[text shortened]... ked with one side always facing the larger object.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_locking
I know about tidal locking, I was agreeing that it appears odd. And I think the apparent similarity in size of moon and sun (from earth) is close enough to warrant my saying a "nearly picture perfect eclipse".

I've been here long enough to anticipate nit picky counter arguments, so when I said "nearly picture perfect" it was no accident.