Immoral Laws

Immoral Laws

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
It would have, but it would have either got him killed, or at a minimum lost him most of his followers. Then as now, directly criticizing the scriptures was just not on.
It did get him killed. The Jewish priests denounced him to the Romans for infringing on their prerogatives.

Cape Town

Moves
11 Nov 14

Originally posted by moonbus
It did get him killed. The Jewish priests denounced him to the Romans for infringing on their prerogatives.
Yes, he clearly overstepped the bounds more than he intended.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Nov 14

Yes, he clearly overstepped the bounds more than he intended.
Or perhaps as intended.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Nov 14

Or perhaps as intended.
If that were the case, he should have taken the opportunity to state in no uncertain terms what his position was, instead of his traditional method of skirting around issues.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Nov 14

If that were the case, he should have taken the opportunity to state in no uncertain terms what his position was, instead of his traditional method of skirting around issues.
He tended to speak in parables, if that's what you mean by "skirting around issues".

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Nov 14

... but there is nothing 'parabolic' about his injunction 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone.' It is quite clear: we should not judge others.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Nov 14

He tended to speak in parables, if that's what you mean by "skirting around issues".
No, it isn't what I mean. He didn't directly speak out against Old Testament laws and practices even though he apparently disagreed with them. He skirted around them because he knew that speaking out directly against them would result in his death or other bad things. If you say that he expected to die anyway then there is no excuse for skirting around the issues, he could quite easily have said outright what was wrong about the Old Testament laws.

In that regard he was rather similar to you and your careful avoidance of openly saying anything meaningful about morality.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Nov 14

"...rather similar to you and your careful avoidance of openly saying anything meaningful about morality."

Reality is complicated and morality more so, since it adds a layer of evaluation on top of what is. Anyone who thinks it can be reduced to simple slogan is a simpleton.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Nov 14

"...rather similar to you and your careful avoidance of openly saying anything meaningful about morality."

Reality is complicated and morality more so, since it adds a layer of evaluation on top of what is. Anyone who thinks it can be reduced to simple slogan is a simpleton.
And yet more careful avoidance of openly saying anything meaningful about morality.

Über-Nerd

Moves
12 Nov 14
2 edits

And yet more careful avoidance of openly saying anything meaningful about morality.
If you would judge some other culture or civilization and pronounce what they do to be immoral--which was the premise of this thread--then you must accept that they, or others, may make the same pronouncement against you.

I take the position that this is not so; rather, that moral judgements apply only within a specific culture with its moral system, not to a culture. This is not to say that anything anyone thinks is moral is moral. This position is neither meaningless nor inconsistent, though I grant that it requires care and attention to implement.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
13 Nov 14

If you would judge some other culture or civilization and pronounce what they do to be immoral--which was the premise of this thread--then you must accept that they, or others, may make the same pronouncement against you.

I take the position that this is not so; rather, that moral judgements apply only within a specific culture with its moral system, not ...[text shortened]... r meaningless nor inconsistent, though I grant that it requires care and attention to implement.
So, when MLK Jr. criticized prevailing racist norms in the U.S. as immoral, was he making a conceptual error? When these prevailing norms changed, did it not constitute moral progress?

Cape Town

Moves
13 Nov 14
1 edit

I fully accept that they may make similar judgments about me, but that doesn't make them right, nor does it make my judgements meaningless.

I take the position that this is not so; rather, that moral judgements apply only within a specific culture with its moral system, not to a culture. This is not to say that anything anyone thinks is moral is moral. This position is neither meaningless nor inconsistent, though I grant that it requires care and attention to implement.
From what I can tell, what you call 'morality' is actually what most of us call 'a legal system'. I agree that in many cases a legal system codifies the prevailing understanding of morality, but it is not what most of us mean by the term.
You also do not seem to have any actual sense of morality yourself but rather prefer to rely entirely on the legal system to tell you what is right or wrong. I would put it to you that this doesn't just 'require care and attention to implement', but will tend to lead to difficult questions such as the one bbarr asks.

F

Moves
13 Nov 14

... but there is nothing 'parabolic' about his injunction 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone.' It is quite clear: we should not judge others.
What other laws were rendered unenforceable by the meaning behind this injunction of his?

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 Nov 14

Originally posted by bbarr
So, when MLK Jr. criticized prevailing racist norms in the U.S. as immoral, was he making a conceptual error? When these prevailing norms changed, did it not constitute moral progress?
It certainly did constitute moral progress, MLK was right to criticize the institutionalized racism of the society in which he lived, and I never maintained otherwise. What I maintain is that cross-cultural or cross-civilizational moral judgments are not valid. Claiming that some practice--such as execution for adultery-- was immoral within a civilization which has been dead for three thousand years, is like comparing apples and oranges. There is no ground for claiming that our morality, or our moral understanding, is superior to theirs.

Über-Nerd

Moves
13 Nov 14
1 edit

I fully accept that they may make similar judgments about me, but that doesn't make them right, nor does it make my judgements meaningless.

[b]From what I can tell, what you call 'morality' is actually what most of us call 'a legal system'. I agree that in many cases a legal system codifies the prevailing understanding of morality, but it is not what m ...[text shortened]... ttention to implement', but will tend to lead to difficult questions such as the one bbarr asks.
Let me ask you this: do you believe that there is only one right morality, and that anything which diverges from that is either wrong (false, satanic) morality or no morality at all?