1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '24 02:55
    Why don't Christians believe that the renowned NT scholar Bart D. Ehrman is divinely inspired?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '24 08:011 edit
    @fmf said
    Why don't Christians believe that the renowned NT scholar Bart D. Ehrman is divinely inspired?
    I’d never heard of him; probably most Christians haven’t. However having had a quick read up on him I’d say that Biblical literalists such as KellyJay, Josephw and millions of others would argue that as he has written 30 odd books examining and questioning the authenticity of the renowned collection of ancient texts called “The Holy Bible” … that he is inspired by Satan.

The root of the problem imo is that Christians are indoctrinated to believe that the Bible is the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God to man. And yet there is no actual evidence of this, even in the Bible itself; other than the conflation of “the word of God” and “in the beginning was the word”.

Of course occasionally some Christians do drop their guard and admit the bible is not the complete, exclusive and inerrant word of God, as kellyJay does here in this link to an RHP forum discussion on the topic

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/attributes-of-god.195809/page-10#post_4617123
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 03:34
    @fmf said
    I don't know the man, only took a cursory look at one video, but I think "divinely inspired", in this day and age, is a useless term, and the odds are, and I do not believe I'm going too far out on a limb here when I say, that he is not.

A greater question is why are you taking up the idea that he is?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 03:35
    @divegeester said
    I’d never heard of him; probably most Christians haven’t. However having had a quick read up on him I’d say that Biblical literalists such as KellyJay, Josephw and millions of others would argue that as he has written 30 odd books examining and questioning the authenticity of the renowned collection of ancient texts called “The Holy Bible” … that he is inspired by Satan. ...[text shortened]... opic

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/attributes-of-god.195809/page-10#post_4617123
    I believe they call this "damning with faint praise".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 03:55
    @suzianne said
    A greater question is why are you taking up the idea that he is?
    If Ehrman has made it possible for people to get closer to knowing the truth about the provenance, textual integrity, and internal logic of the New Testament, doesn't that mean his work ~ according to those who believe that the scriptures and their subsequent translations are divinely inspired ~ is part of the process?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '24 08:17
    @suzianne said
    I believe they call this "damning with faint praise".
    “They”?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree