Is being an agnostic playing it safe?

Is being an agnostic playing it safe?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
"Speak for" whom?

And in what way?
Allah, through Mohammed.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
Revealed religions have religious texts which they view as divinely or supernaturally revealed or inspired. For instance, Orthodox Jews, Christians and Muslims believe that the Torah was received from God on biblical Mount Sinai. ~ wiki
So?

F

Moves
157d
1 edit

@suzianne said
That does not change the fact that Islam claims that Allah is unrevealed.
Muslims believe that their Holy scripture is divinely revealed and inspired. No Muslim I have ever met has claimed otherwise.

F

Moves
157d

@suzianne said
A cornerstone of Islam is that Allah has not revealed himself.
You are mistaken. Islam is very much a "revealed religion". Just look at the definition I quoted.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
He said: "I once knew an Anglican priest who claimed he did not know whether God exists. I guess that’s fairly typical of Anglicanism, they’re sort of fence sitters on all kinds of dogmatic issues."
So fence-sitting Anglicans was his description and I took issue with it. What is twisting you up about it?

F

Moves
157d

@suzianne said
A cornerstone of Islam is that Allah has not revealed himself.

Convenient. It opens the door for others to step in and speak for him.
It opens the door for others to step in and speak for him.

But don't you have the same thing with the Hebrew prophets that Christians revere?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
You are mistaken. Islam is very much a "revealed religion". Just look at the definition I quoted.
Scripture may be revealed, but Allah is not. Muslims feel Allah has not revealed himself.

F

Moves
157d

@suzianne said
So fence-sitting Anglicans was his description and I took issue with it. What is twisting you up about it?
I am not "twisted up" at all. How is the agnostic Anglican priest that moonbus mentioned a "crowd pleaser"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
It opens the door for others to step in and speak for him.

But don't you have the same thing with the Hebrew prophets that Christians revere?
God has spoken for himself. It is you who takes issue with that.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
I am not "twisted up" at all. How is the agnostic Anglican priest that moonbus mentioned a "crowd pleaser"?
The priest is not my issue, and I was not speaking of, or about, him.

F

Moves
157d
1 edit

@suzianne said
Scripture may be revealed, but Allah is not. Muslims feel Allah has not revealed himself.
I am agnostic about all "revealed Gods". That means that I am agnostic about all manifestations of the Abrahamic God. There is no way around it: Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are all "revealed religions".

F

Moves
157d

@suzianne said
The priest is not my issue, and I was not speaking of, or about, him.
So, for you, ALL Anglican priests are "crowd pleasers" etc. whether they believe in God or not?

F

Moves
157d

@suzianne said
God has spoken for himself. It is you who takes issue with that.
But didn't God reveal himself through the Hebrew prophets?

Do you really not know what the terms "revealed religions" and "revealed Gods" mean?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
I am agnostic about all "revealed Gods". That means that I am agnostic about all manifestations of the Abrahamic God. There is no way around it: Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are all "revealed religions".
"Revealed" by whom? Islam maintains that Allah has not revealed himself. Judaism and Christianity maintain that God has revealed himself to man and made himself known.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
157d

@fmf said
So, for you, ALL Anglican priests are "crowd pleasers" etc. whether they believe in God or not?
Of course not, and I resent your attempt to simplify and hijack my beliefs.