Is consciousness an illusion?

Is consciousness an illusion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
322d

@mike69 said
This limits interactions with other systems and types of fish to what is seen and heard combined with each environment.
My interactions and exposure to "other systems" and other "types" of people are pretty good, I'd say.

F

Moves
322d

@mike69 said
How do we arise to a collective consciousness where we understand and appreciate one another as when we’re all in the same tank as we are?
What is your definition of "collective consciousness"?

F

Moves
322d

@mike69 said
Some tanks may be bigger and nicer but overall the things you mention between interactions and on are formed and nurtured in each of our little tanks comparably. Agree or disagree?
I don't think I agree. Instead, I think your "little tanks" metaphor is a bit dehumanizing, for want of a gentler word, as is - if I recall your use of the term a few months ago - your reference to a potentially diversity-annihilating "collective consciousness".

Could some people understand and appreciate one another more? Sure. And that would be a good thing. But I can't take exhortations to promote this too seriously when there's the rather fatuous "personal goldfish bowls" analogy sloshing around in the heart of a conversation that deserves better rhetoric.

Moves
322d

@moonbus said
As nomadic hunter gatherers, we evolved to focus on prey and predators; we notice things that move. Things that are every day the same, we tend not to notice.
I always notice the doughnuts.

(And they rarely move of their own volition).

รœber-Nerd

Moves
321d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I always notice the doughnuts.

(And they rarely move of their own volition).
If they stay in one place too long, they become inedible (to us, anyway). Not that any doughnuts in your vicinity ever stayed around that long ...

Just sayin'.

๐Ÿ˜†

K
within reason

Moves
321d

@moonbus said
If they stay in one place too long, they become inedible (to us, anyway). Not that any doughnuts in your vicinity ever stayed around that long ...

Just sayin'.

๐Ÿ˜†
Todays topic of discussion (or not)
Doughnuts: prey or predator ?

Always check to see if your doughnuts have teeth. No one wants to bite into a doughnut that bites back.

รœber-Nerd

Moves
321d

@kilroy70 said
Todays topic of discussion (or not)
Doughnuts: prey or predator ?

Always check to see if your doughnuts have teeth. No one wants to bite into a doughnut that bites back.
Camouflage is one of the best tricks.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
306d
2 edits

@kilroy70 said
Are we truly cognizant of the world around us, or do we just think we are.
Interesting question.

I would like to quote from Susan Blackmore’s excellent book: Zen and the Art of Consciousness.

“Am I conscious now?
Of course I am. Yes, I am conscious now.
Am I conscious now?
Of course I am. Yes, I am conscious now.
But something odd happened. When I asked myself the question it was as though I became conscious at that moment. Was I not conscious before? It felt as though I was waking up - coming to consciousness when I asked the question - because I asked the question.
What is going on? Am I conscious now?
I can remember what was going on just before I asked the question, so it seems someone must have been conscious. Was someone else conscious a moment before - as though the waking up is a change in who is conscious?
Another possibility is that I wasn’t really conscious before I asked the question. This is deeply troubling.”

There follow deeply perceptive tangents upon the meanings of the words “I”, “conscious”, “now”. Dr Susan Blackmore is a neuroscientist and philosopher whose perceptive take on consciousness is directly linked to Zen Buddhist. She is not a Zen Buddhist, or affiliated to any quasi religion, but her findings are riveting.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the ‘problem’ of what constitutes consciousness.

K
within reason

Moves
303d
1 edit

@Pianoman1
"Are we truly cognizant of the world around us, or do we just think we are"

Only a mind, aware of both itself and the world outside of itself, could ask this question.

So imo the question answers itself.

K
within reason

Moves
302d

@kellyjay said
Another thing to keep in mind we live and have our being in a little sliver of time, in the moment now. Now is so small it is unquantifiable we can’t cut it down into any fraction, our past grows with each moment while the future is always just beyond our reach.
I agree that "now" is infinitesimally small.
And our awareness of what is happening always lags behind. What we see (or hear) happening "now" is actually our perception of a past event.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
302d

@kilroy70 said
I agree that "now" is infinitesimally small.
And our awareness of what is happening always lags behind. What we see (or hear) happening "now" is actually our perception of a past event.
When we see things that are dependent upon each other existing, we know what made that possible had to transcend time. Since they can’t have come into being independently in some sequence of events without both being there simultaneously.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
302d

@kilroy70 said
@Pianoman1
"Are we truly cognizant of the world around us, or do we just think we are"

Only a mind, aware of both itself and the world outside of itself, could ask this question.

So imo the question answers itself.
๐Ÿ‘

Moves
302d

@kellyjay said
When we see things that are dependent upon each other existing, we know what made that possible had to transcend time. Since they can’t have come into being independently in some sequence of events without both being there simultaneously.
Unmitigated nonsense.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
300d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Unmitigated nonsense.
Another hit and run?

Moves
300d

@kellyjay said
Another hit and run?
You’re the one avoiding various posters comments, questions and even avoiding topics referring to yourself; not Ghost of a Duke.