Is it my job

Is it my job

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

Originally posted by yoctobyte
An accounting professor one told me, a business is in business for no other reason than to make money.
Your accounting professor was wrong.

y

Moves
17 Apr 16
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Your accounting professor was wrong.
How so? He was speaking from an American prospective I am sure.

edit: Why are businesses in business where you reside? Some other reason?

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

How so? He was speaking from an American prospective I am sure.

edit: Why are businesses in business where you reside? Some other reason?
Businesses are started and run for many different reasons. Making money is often one of them but it is rarely the only one. And this applies even to american businesses. I realise that american accountants and economists have tried to spread the myth of pure capitalism, but it just ain't true.

y

Moves
17 Apr 16

Businesses are started and run for many different reasons. Making money is often one of them but it is rarely the only one. And this applies even to american businesses. I realise that american accountants and economists have tried to spread the myth of pure capitalism, but it just ain't true.
I accept that.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Apr 16

I personally have never heard of "infra-human" wages. My assumption is that you are referring to a sort of subsidy maybe? forced on a 'Christian' employer to make up the difference set by an authority like the government, state or community? (Of what it costs to live). Am I right?

If so I would ask that question not only of Christuan employers but al ...[text shortened]... . If you are in a union, raises are generally automatic every year regardless of anything else.
You misunderstand that parable as it has nothing to do with paying workers.

In any case, the Christian has an obligation to follow the doctrine of Christ and the Apostles ie brotherly love, charity and good works. .. makes no difference whether he is a fortune 500 listed businessman or a school teacher. The more of this worlds goods that you are given, the more you will be required to demonstrate these Christian principles.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

I accept that.
Elon Musk, the founder of SpaceX and Tesla claims that he didn't start either company to make money. He does want them to be profitable, but that is not the primary reason he started them, nor the primary reason he continues to run them. He is far from unique in this regard.

y

Moves
17 Apr 16

Elon Musk, the founder of SpaceX and Tesla claims that he didn't start either company to make money. He does want them to be profitable, but that is not the primary reason he started them, nor the primary reason he continues to run them. He is far from unique in this regard.
Why did he start them then?

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

Why did he start them then?
For the benefit of mankind.

y

Moves
17 Apr 16

For the benefit of mankind.
I think money plays more of a role than you are willing to admit.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

I think money plays more of a role than you are willing to admit.
I think you are so selfish that you simply cannot imagine other people being nice.

y

Moves
17 Apr 16
1 edit

I think you are so selfish that you simply cannot imagine other people being nice.
It's just my opinion just like you have one, perhaps I am wrong. It would certainly be refreshing if the motivation of Elon Musk was selfless.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16
1 edit

It's just my opinion just like you have one, perhaps I am wrong. It would certainly be refreshing if the motivation of Elon Musk was selfless.
I know it is 'just your opinion' but it is not based on evidence, so it has to be based on your own pessimism and a belief in the general selfishness of people. This leads me to the conclusion that you are selfish.
I on the other hand take him at his word until I see evidence to the contrary. If course I do allow for the fact that he could be lying, but that is not my default view.
I have personally known a number of employers who did a significant amount of work for reasons other than money. I have also known a lot of people who take jobs for reasons other than money. For example I know people involved in the Rotary club who use their own money, time and effort to support an orphanage and old peoples home.
Not everyone in the world is a money grubbing glutton.

w

Moves
17 Apr 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Is it my job to take care of myself or....
the government
my boss
everyone else?
Those you don't have to worry about include

1. The unborn
2. Veterans in the VA
3. Conservatives
4. Christians

y

Moves
17 Apr 16

I know it is 'just your opinion' but it is not based on evidence, so it has to be based on your own pessimism and a belief in the general selfishness of people. This leads me to the conclusion that you are selfish.
I on the other hand take him at his word until I see evidence to the contrary. If course I do allow for the fact that he could be lying, but ...[text shortened]... pport an orphanage and old peoples home.
Not everyone in the world is a money grubbing glutton.
People involved in charitable organizations who volunteer of their own resources (i.e. time, money, services) is not equivalent to businesses who exist for the purpose of making money and cannot be used. Although I conceded that businesses exist for perhaps more nobler reasons than making a profit (in the US they are generally called not for profits) making money is a means to an end, without it you hard pressed to accomplish anything. In the end, for the most part, money needs to be made! As for SpaceX and Tesla (Elon Musk), they are companies involved in the business of making money and are not 'not-for-profits', as far as I know.

Please don't take this to mean that I think Elon does not have grand ideas of the betterment of society, perhaps he does, but money I am certain is a major factor in his decision making processes.

My observation of you in these here forums, is that you just like to argue regardless of the discussion, that's your choice. Your characterization of me is erroneous, you don't know me. Again, that is your choice.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Apr 16

People involved in charitable organizations who volunteer of their own resources (i.e. time, money, services) is not equivalent to businesses who exist for the purpose of making money and cannot be used.
What do you mean 'cannot be used'? I am merely demonstrating that generous people exist. And I still dispute your contention that businesses necessarily exist for the purpose of making money, so that certainly 'cannot be used'.

Although I conceded that businesses exist for perhaps more nobler reasons than making a profit (in the US they are generally called not for profits)
Not for profits are not the only businesses that exist for nobler reasons. For profits can also have a nobler reason as their primary objective.

making money is a means to an end, without it you hard pressed to accomplish anything.
I agree.

As for SpaceX and Tesla (Elon Musk), they are companies involved in the business of making money and are not 'not-for-profits', as far as I know.
Correct. But according to Elon Musk, that was not the reason he started them and profit is only, as you say, a necessary means of keeping them running.

Please don't take this to mean that I think Elon does not have grand ideas of the betterment of society, perhaps he does, but money I am certain is a major factor in his decision making processes.
I am sure it is a major factor in his decision making process. That does not mean he started the companies in order to make money or that the businesses exist in order to make money.

My observation of you in these here forums, is that you just like to argue regardless of the discussion, that's your choice. Your characterization of me is erroneous, you don't know me. Again, that is your choice.
My characterization of you is based solely on what you have said. I fully recognize it may not reflect who you are and may be incorrect just as you characterization of me is incorrect.
In this case it is not that I 'just like to argue'. I genuinely believe that the claim that a business' primary goal is to make money is a dangerous meme and a false one. I believe it should be challenged whenever it rears its ugly head.