1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 21:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes exactly, thank you. There is nothing in scripture whatsoever and yet some Christians will say the most horrible things about the fate and attitude of people who commit suicide. It disgusts me; it's another reason unbelievers are repelled by those who propagate a pseudo-gospel of their own making and reveals much about the spirit of those who preach it.
    I see. Of course the Christian should be careful not to add to God's words.

Do you ever get to a point where it becomes apparent that many unbelievers are repelled simply because they want to be repelled ?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 08:01
    Originally posted by sonship
    I see. Of course the Christian should be careful not to add to God's words.

Do you ever get to a point where it becomes apparent that many unbelievers are repelled simply because they want to be repelled ?
    I've never had that insight myself, no.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 08:151 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    This is why various emperors and kings would convert towards the end of their reign rather than at the start - they'd fight their battles as pagans and only convert when they thought their position was sufficiently secure that they wouldn't have to worry about things like "Thou shalt not kill." being a policy defect in a ruler.
    My own understanding is that baptism meant a more serious commitment to Christianity rather than a conversion as such. So the kings would have been Christian not pagan throughout their reign and battles. Sort of like the difference between a lay Christian and a Monk. The lay Christian can get married etc but is not a pagan.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 08:21
    From Wikipedia:
    Despite the fact that he seems to have considered himself to be a Christian during his lifetime, for reasons unknown, Constantine chose to wait until he was on his deathbed to be baptized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_late_ancient_Christianity
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 11:531 edit
    Grampy Bobby, I note with some interest that despite your strong views on suicide, that you have chosen not to comment...why is that?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 15:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My own understanding is that baptism meant a more serious commitment to Christianity rather than a conversion as such. So the kings would have been Christian not pagan throughout their reign and battles. Sort of like the difference between a lay Christian and a Monk. The lay Christian can get married etc but is not a pagan.
    Look up Penda, he clearly intended to be baptised, but lost his last battle badly and was treated as a Pagan by history (or at least Bede). The point is that baptism is a ritualized washing away of sin, so there is no point in doing it if one is then going to do the kinds of things that kings and emperors have to do to maintain their reigns. They would all fight their battles as Pagans and then be baptised.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree