Just asking.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 00:29
    @josephw said
    Why would he?

Just asking.
    Are't there 100s of millions of devout Christians who reject much of what science has learned about the natural world? If so, the question is whether doing so is extra-Biblical.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 03:21
    @divegeester said
    Just saying.

Discuss if you want to…
    I'm not a history buff, but this is my impression.

Education wasn't so comprehensive. Some countries had strong science communities, and others didn't.

There was also no printing press yet invented.

Both of these things greatly limited the availability of scientific knowledge.

There was nothing much to rail against.

The earliest major religion vs. science feud I can think of is Galileo vs. Catholicism. Probably others can think of some earlier ones.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 08:47
    @josephw said
    Why would he?

Just asking.
    Do you as a biblical literalist accept all the scientific explanations of the natural world, such as the age of the earth and the universe for example?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 13:39
    @fmf said
    Are't there 100s of millions of devout Christians who reject much of what science has learned about the natural world? If so, the question is whether doing so is extra-Biblical.
    Being a Christian isn't about the rejection of science, but instead is about belief in the one that created science.

Other than that your question is pointless hyperbole.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 13:40
    @bigdogg said
    I'm not a history buff, but this is my impression.

Education wasn't so comprehensive. Some countries had strong science communities, and others didn't.

There was also no printing press yet invented.

Both of these things greatly limited the availability of scientific knowledge.

There was nothing much to rail against.

The earliest major religion vs. science feud I can think of is Galileo vs. Catholicism. Probably others can think of some earlier ones.
    I think that's true enough.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 13:41
    @divegeester said
    Do you as a biblical literalist accept all the scientific explanations of the natural world, such as the age of the earth and the universe for example?
    I do not.
  9. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 13:54
    Some here create threads by the sackful. Their creations are easy enough, being literally just a single short thread, enough for mending a sock, or a single loose button on a shirt. Literally an incomplete sentence without an ending mark, and it lacks specificity and context.

Posing my concerns and opinion for the sentence to a trusted friend, an accredited and worthy grammarian/logician, here is what I was told.

"The sentence could be interpreted differently depending on the context. For instance, it could mean that Jesus did not explicitly criticize scientific methods or theories. Alternatively, it could mean that Jesus did not specifically preach about science. Without additional context or clarification, the sentence could be ambiguous."

By saying "Just saying" what on earth is the creator of the thread saying?

"Jesus never preached against science" is only one side of the coin. If we want a complete and impartial coin, and which is not biased to any one side, we also need to include that, Jesus never preached in favor of science.

Still, even with a fair coin, are we to just flip the coin and see which side comes up?

Are we looking for the actual word, science, in the New Testament? By "science," are we to understand it as a reference to the systematic study of the natural world? Or are we looking for rocket science? For instance, would the act of ascending and then descending from heaven be considered as a reference to rocket science, and Jesus' takeaway on science?

And when the name of Jesus is referenced, are we to also look in the Old Testament, since the overwhelming majority of Christians believe that Jesus, through the trinity concept, is also understood by them to be the God of the Old Testament?

Can "Natural Philosophy" be substituted for "science," since it would be understood as the same idea. And because "science" involves knowledge, and wisdom to understand what exactly is knowledge, would the terms, knowledge and wisdom, suffice, if used in conjunction with the objects which science is concerned with?

Just saying that we are to be more specific in creating threads on, and of this nature.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 14:10
    Jesus preached against evolution (indirectly by his support of creationism) so it could be argued he preached against science.

Jesus said, “At the beginning the Creator made them male and female and said . . . the two shall become one flesh.” (Matthew 19:4-6)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 14:32
    @josephw said
    Being a Christian isn't about the rejection of science, but instead is about belief in the one that created science.

Other than that your question is pointless hyperbole.
    My question was not an example of "hyperbole" at all, and its point was to draw an answer from you: something that you didn't offer with your first post.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 15:39
    @pettytalk said
    Some here create threads by the sackful. Their creations are easy enough, being literally just a single short thread, enough for mending a sock, or a single loose button on a shirt. Literally an incomplete sentence without an ending mark, and it lacks specificity and context.

Posing my concerns and opinion for the sentence to a trusted friend, an accredited and worthy g ...[text shortened]... ed with?

Just saying that we are to be more specific in creating threads on, and of this nature.
    Well put.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 15:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Jesus preached against evolution (indirectly by his support of creationism) so it could be argued he preached against science.

Jesus said, “At the beginning the Creator made them male and female and said . . . the two shall become one flesh.” (Matthew 19:4-6)
    It could be argued that Jesus preached a message that excluded lies.

By quoting the Old Testament Jesus affirmed the truth concerning matrimony between a man and a woman. The context is in regard to divorce.

So you're reference to Matthew 19 does not support your assertion that "...he preached against science."
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 15:59
    @fmf said
    My question was not an example of "hyperbole" at all, and its point was to draw an answer from you: something that you didn't offer with your first post.
    "Are't there 100s of millions of devout Christians who reject much of what science has learned about the natural world? If so, the question is whether doing so is extra-Biblical."

Not getting drawn into your endless questionings.

Why don't you ask divegeester about his OP?

Like that will ever happen.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 16:28
    @josephw said
    It could be argued that Jesus preached a message that excluded lies.

By quoting the Old Testament Jesus affirmed the truth concerning matrimony between a man and a woman. The context is in regard to divorce.

So you're reference to Matthew 19 does not support your assertion that "...he preached against science."
    You don't think Jesus considered the Adam and Eve thing as a literal account of creation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree