Jesus: Rejected

Jesus: Rejected

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
87d

MARK 6:1-6. Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren’t his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him.

Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. He was amazed at their lack of faith.

Moves
87d

@PettyTalk

Is your point here that Jesus therefore should have known better than to go to his home town?

Or that his family were bad people?

Or that the families of prophets are lacking in faith?

Or that Jesus was amazed at a group of people’s lack of faith?

Or something else which we have to guess?

Moves
87d

Don't we have any mind readers in this neck of the woods? 'A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives, and in his own home.'

What was on Jesus' mind when he was, apparently, letting us know that his own family had no clue as to his claimed divinity? The whole time Jesus lived, worked, and socialized in Nazareth from his birth, and onward for about 30 years, there must not have been any prior discussions and gossip about Jesus' divine birth from a virgin, nor any stories about his divine potential, etc., etc., etc.

Moves
87d

@pettytalk said
What was on Jesus' mind when he was, apparently, letting us know that his own family had no clue as to his claimed divinity?
Is it a quiz?

F

Moves
86d
1 edit

How is "rejecting" Jesus any different from "rejecting" the $10 000,000 the widow of the murdered Nigerian Finance Minister offers me from time to time?

Moves
86d

@fmf said
How is "rejecting" Jesus any different from "rejecting" the $10 000,000 the widow of the murdered Nigerian Finance Minister offers me from time to time?
Jesus doesn’t spam your email.

F

Moves
86d

@divegeester said
Jesus doesn’t spam your email.
There has been a definite whiff of spam from some of the 'you have rejected Jesus' rhetoric on this forum over the years.

Moves
86d

@fmf said
Differences? Well, in your case, according to you, there was no rejection for 30 years.

The Parable of the Persistent Widow.

Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’ ”

Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

The thing I find is that the twins never miss an opportunity to show their faces on any thread. Reliability needs to be rewarded. To adjust for inflation, how about $20,000,000?

F

Moves
86d

@pettytalk said
The thing I find is that the twins never miss an opportunity to show their faces on any thread.
What on Earth is the matter with you?

F

Moves
86d

@pettytalk said
Differences? Well, in your case, according to you, there was no rejection for 30 years.
This does not address my question which was:

If I don't believe the $10 million exists, am I "rejecting" it when the widow of the murdered Nigerian Finance Minister offers it to me?

F

Moves
86d

@fmf said
What on Earth is the matter with you?
@pettytalk said

... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ...

On no. Is Ghost of a Duke now going to stalk me, like dj2becker, for days, across multiple threads, suggesting I am "obsessed" with PettyTalk for posting this?

Moves
86d

@pettytalk said

The thing I find is that the twins never miss an opportunity to show their faces on any thread.
Perhaps you should post in a private club where you can feel more comfortable listening to the echos.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
85d

@pettytalk said
MARK 6:1-6. Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? Isn’t this the carpenter? Isn’t this Mary’s ...[text shortened]... here, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. He was amazed at their lack of faith.
The Jews were expecting their messiah to look and sound like an ultra-powerful figure who would rescue them from foreign occupation and oppression, solve all their problems, and transform the earth into a much better place. What they got was a lower middle-class carpenter in a robe his mother made for him, who preached primarily to the poor and the sick. His most fiery and stern words were directed at the arrogant and hypnotical, while offering his message of encouragement and promise of salvation to the modest, the poor, and those who were genuinely aware of their faults. It's no big surprise that he was rejected by the local townspeople at the time.

Moves
85d

@mchill said
The Jews were expecting their messiah to look and sound like an ultra-powerful figure who would rescue them from foreign occupation and oppression, solve all their problems, and transform the earth into a much better place. What they got was a lower middle-class carpenter in a robe his mother made for him, who preached primarily to the poor and the sick. His most fiery and ste ...[text shortened]... are of their faults. It's no big surprise that he was rejected by the local townspeople at the time.
The main arguments posited for the Jews' rejection of Jesus as the messiah are well known and documented. Some argue that even the general rejection was prophesied, referencing Isaiah 53.

That point of rejection was directed at Jesus' complaint that even his own immediate family did not believe or acknowledge him as the promised messiah. I imagine Jesus never performed miracles such as turning water into wine or multiplying bread and fish at his family's dining table. Growing up in the house with his mother, brothers, and sisters, he never gave any hint or word that he was the messiah. That's what is implied, and it also seriously questions the occurrence of all those stories about Jesus before he began his ministry as a roaming itinerant preacher of the coming of the kingdom of God.

Additionally, in his hometown of Nazareth, and in the local synagogue where Jesus must have attended many times before, he never displayed his wisdom or miraculous skills up to that point.

The fact that Jesus primarily preached to the poor does not negate his rejection by his own poor family, his own poor hometown people, or those worshipping in his local synagogue, who were likely to be poor as well.

Jesus did not preach to those who were aware of their faults, but rather to those who were not. And being poor does not make someone automatically aware of their faults. "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." The poor have brothers too.

Moves
85d

@fmf said
@pettytalk said

... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ... the twins ...

On no. Is Ghost of a Duke now going to stalk me, like dj2becker, for days, across multiple threads, suggesting I am "obsessed" with PettyTalk for posting this?
You are obsessed with your own petty talk. You seem to think too much of yourself and your words. I wouldn't describe it as stalking—it's essentially giving you what you crave: attention. You should be grateful to those who give it to you.