1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 10:31
    "You can decide to get into situations where you might fall in love. You can decide to do what it takes to nurture and preserve love. But you can't decide to be in love with someone. Something very similar applies to having faith."

Discuss
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Jan '24 10:43
    Love is an emotion centred on a tangible thing. Faith is an emotion/hope based on something intangible. Both though are not based on decision.
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:17
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Love is an emotion centred on a tangible thing. Faith is an emotion/hope based on something intangible. Both though are not based on decision.
    If I have faith in you, does my faith make you intangible? I hope not! I have faith that you will put FMF in his place on love, tangibly.

He must have been a lovable Christian, at one time.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:27
    @pettytalk said
    If I have faith in you, does my faith make you intangible? I hope not! I have faith that you will put FMF in his place on love, tangibly.

He must have been a lovable Christian, at one time.
    If I have faith in you, does my faith make you intangible?

A person, like a wife or a child, for example, is tangible: they constitute a physical presence [unless one is talking about a memory]. Jesus, for example - who has been dead for 2,000 years - is something intangible: a notion, a concept, or an idea that inspires the aspirations that comprise faith. This is the tangible-intangible contrast that Ghost of a Duke was alluding to. I say this just in case your wordplay is, indeed, the best you can do.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:41
    @fmf said
    "You can decide to get into situations where you might fall in love. You can decide to do what it takes to nurture and preserve love. But you can't decide to be in love with someone. Something very similar applies to having faith."

Discuss
    Who then decides for those that have "decided" to have faith?

I take it that you mean to say that there's no free will when it comes to love and faith?

Who makes us fall in love, if it's not our own decision? Cupid?
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:48
    @fmf said

A person, like a wife or a child, for example, is tangible: they constitute a physical This is the tangible-intangible contrast that Ghost of a Duke was alluding to. I say this just in case your wordplay is, indeed, the best you can do.
    I never do my best, since I'm lazy, by nature. I just do enough, as the occasion mandates. Perhaps enough is good enough for you, I hope.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:48
    @pettytalk said
    Who then decides for those that have "decided" to have faith?
    The way I see it, people don't decide to have faith.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:49
    @pettytalk said
    I take it that you mean to say that there's no free will when it comes to love and faith?
    This silly question makes it clear that you did not understand the exchanges we had on this a couple of weeks ago.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:50
    @pettytalk said
    Who makes us fall in love, if it's not our own decision? Cupid?
    I don't think it's a decision. I think both faith [in supernatural things] and love are things we realize we have and not things we decide to have.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 03:51
    @pettytalk said
    I never do my best, since I'm lazy, by nature. I just do enough, as the occasion mandates. Perhaps enough is good enough for you, I hope.
    I wish you were a better poster. The forum would benefit from it.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 05:00
    @fmf said
    I wish you were a better poster. The forum would benefit from it.
    The gaslighting continues.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 05:30
    @suzianne said
    The gaslighting continues.
    If you think PettyTalk has acquitted himself well in his exchanges with me, then so be it. It's a matter for you.
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 05:40
    @fmf said
    I don't think it's a decision. I think both faith [in supernatural things] and love are things we realize we have and not things we decide to have.
    Decide and decision are closely related. Have and decide are far apart, unless one decides to have, at which time, in having, one no longer decides to have, having it already.

Perhaps if you learned how to express yourself better, the forum would benefit from your worthy language skills. You don't say what you mean, and don't mean what you say. We can't help but love you, as we always have you.

We posses your attention, no matter what we say. Say it with love, and mean it, if you claim to have it. And for Christ's sake, get your faith back, if you say you had it.

Perhaps it's a matter of you never having it. As they say, you can't lose what you never had.

Checkout Obsessive-compulsive disorder, you may have it. Ask your physician if OCR is right for you.

Save the wedding bells for my returning,
    Keep my lover's arms outstretched and yearning,
    Please be sure the flame of love keeps burning.

That's enough, o worthy compulsive poster, it's time for us to part, because what you have can be highly contagious.

Good-bye!
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 05:48
    @pettytalk said
    Decide and decision are closely related. Have and decide are far apart, unless one decides to have, at which time, in having, one no longer decides to have, having it already.
    You either don't understand my point of view, or you are pretending not to.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '24 05:49
    @pettytalk said
    Perhaps if you learned how to express yourself better, the forum would benefit from your worthy language skills. You don't say what you mean, and don't mean what you say.
    This is nonsense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree