1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 13:271 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/sep/11/charliue-brooker-computer-predicts-future

They have built a computer than has been successful at predicting future events, like the Arab Spring. Essentially they just feed it with any information they can and let it process the information to try and predict the future.

Thinking about this, if one were to know everything, there is nothing you should not be able to predict.

Of course, a computer, like ourselves, are not all knowing and never will be, so there will always be room for error. However, the more information that is gathered, the less error there will be.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 13:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/sep/11/charliue-brooker-computer-predicts-future

They have built a computer than has been successful at predicting future events, like the Arab Spring. Essentially they just feed it with any information they can and let it process the information to try and predict the future.

Thinking about this, if one w ...[text shortened]... e room for error. However, the more information that is gathered, the less error there will be.
    Take it to the 'Predicting the future' forum spanky.

😲
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 14:255 edits
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Take it to the 'Predicting the future' forum spanky.

😲
    No, this belong here.

I posit that the more information you have about things, the more you are able to predict the future.

Naturally, no one, or no computer, will be all knowing like God is, so there will always be room for error. However, the more information a computer has, the better able it is to predict the future.

I further posit that this is how God knows the future. He knows all and sees where things will lead based upon the calculations of all knowledge and information.

Artificial intelligence is in its infancy stages, but I predict it will explode here shortly. Currently, the government and corporations are collecting vast amounts of information on you and keeping record of it. This will be used to predict the future.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 14:55
    I posit that the more information you have about things, the more you are able to predict the future.
    Reality is against you. Science has not yet determined whether or not the universe is deterministic, but it has more or less ruled out us every being able to predict everything.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 16:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Reality is against you. Science has not yet determined whether or not the universe is deterministic, but it has more or less ruled out us every being able to predict everything.
    Really? So there are things in science that do not have a cause?

Do tell.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 19:16
    Really? So there are things in science that do not have a cause?

Do tell.
    There are things in science that are not known to have a cause. Most things actually. It would appear that all quantum events are either random or as good as random, ie we cannot predict them.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 19:51
    There are things in science that are not known to have a cause. Most things actually. It would appear that all quantum events are either random or as good as random, ie we cannot predict them.
    But we have been able to predict trends in the past.

As opposed to whodey, despite more info in the future, I think it will be more difficult to predict.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 21:19
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    But we have been able to predict trends in the past.
    We can predict a lot of things. The sun will rise tomorrow for example. But no amount of information will tell you the exact weather a few weeks from now (although trends do exist).
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 21:57
    We can predict a lot of things. The sun will rise tomorrow for example. But no amount of information will tell you the exact weather a few weeks from now (although trends do exist).
    I'm slightly confused here.
    Are we predicting 'everything' or natural events (weather etc. ) or peoples behaviours?
    I was thinking in terms of people,groups, politics, (peoples) movements,etc.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 00:47
    I'm slightly confused here.
    Are we predicting 'everything' or natural events (weather etc. ) or peoples behaviours?
    Social media has become a good way to predict behavior of the masses.

For example had you polled the social media instead of the antiquated polling method to see who would win the election, Trump would have been shown to be the winner.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 00:511 edit

For example had you polled the social media instead of the antiquated polling method to see who would win the election, Trump would have been shown to be the winner.
    Yeah , so did Michael Moore.

So you're not talking about weather,right?

edit: Twhitehead, you see that. You failed again to get into the spirit of the thread instead pointing out that the "sun will rise tomorrow" . Are you AI?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 04:10
    edit: Twhitehead, you see that. You failed again to get into the spirit of the thread instead pointing out that the "sun will rise tomorrow" . Are you AI?
    Still upset I see that you got called out for lying.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 04:12

Or so claims someone who managed to 'predict' it after the election was over and the result was known. Postdiction is always easier than prediction.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 04:15
    There is not a lot of difference. Some behaviors are easily predictable, some are impossible to predict. It would be impossible to predict who the president of the US will be in 2025, but one might be able to give a reasonable estimate as to which party they will belong to.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 10:20

Thinking about this, if one w ...[text shortened]... e room for error. However, the more information that is gathered, the less error there will be.
    Maybe it will predict when Jesus will finally return to earth 😲

Wouldn't that be swell?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree