1. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 02:31
    We have a Mormon among us, probably for the first time. He is Mr. Petty Talk, very vocal around here, so this should be an interesting discussion, comparing JWs and Mormons. This was extracted off Quora.

https://qr.ae/psFpO9

Q : What are the differences between what Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

A: I was once a baptized Mormon and active. I am now one of Jehovah's Witnesses and have been for many years . On a positive note, I want to share the commonalities of both teachings. Both faiths are very family focused. A strong clean, moral family is the emphasis of both faiths. Also both faiths encourage weekly worship and study. There is also the reaching out and helping fellow members and neighbors when there is a physical need. A strong bond is built among fellow believers. Both faiths are organized and have several levels of oversight.

Now I will share the differences:

The LDS church believe that the gift of prophecy is still being used through their earthly leader. Whereas, the Jehovah's witnesses do not believe they are prophets or can prophecy.

There is one main unresolved difference between Mormons and the other Bible based religions. And that is the LDS church base their religion on their prophet Joseph Smith’s inspired revelation from a angel, which is a book of new scriptures. Which is known today, as the Book of Mormon, also of great importance is another book called the Pearl of Great Price. Their religion revolves around these and other books. They use the Bible, but believe it is inferior because it is improperly translated and less trustworthy than The Book of Mormon. Often many Mormons are not as skilled in the use of the Bible as they are in the Book of Mormon.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all their major teachings on the Bible. None of them claim to be prophets or can prophecy. However, most are well trained in the scriptures and are very skilled and capable of using all translations of the Bible. So Witnesses do not base their reliance on only one translation. Jehovah's Witnesses use their translation because it puts back Jehovah's name in the Bible. Much effort has gone into making sure this is done correctly.

Another main difference is their view of paradise. Or in the Mormon's case? They believe in more than one paradise. Three worlds or heavens. The first world/ heaven is the greatest reward after death because God and Jesus dwells there. The second world/ heaven is not so great but there is a bridge between world/heaven one and two and Jesus visits. So if you are not a great dead Mormon you can become a greater one and at some point be allowed to pass over into the greater world/heaven. Then there is the last world/heaven where the Holy Spirit visits. No bridge there. And then there is a another place that is darkness. That is basically where really bad people go and they never can get off this world/heaven or the other dark place. All this was confusing to me because it was a heaven, but people had physical bodies.

There also a private sealing ceremony done in their Salt Lake temple of faithful Mormons. Once sealed. They then are to wear a white undergarment which must be worn at all times. Other than bathing or changing. This marks a Mormon as a special chosen one for special rewards after death. There is also other secret ceremonies that take place in their local places of worship.

The Witnesses teach of only one Paradise ruled by a heavenly organization in which Jesus is king and at his side are a 144,000 resurrected faithful loyal ones. They rule over perfect humans on the earth for a 1,000 years while all humans work to restore the earth to perfection. During this time all those asleep in death will be resurrected. At the end of the 1,000 years the earth will be restored to a paradise and all faithful perfect humans will be granted everlasting life Jehovah's Witnesses don't have secret ceremonies.

Mormon’s also teach that males can eventually become Gods ruling over their own universe with many wives or brides..(I corrected this from 144,000 to many wives)

Not a Jehovah's witnesses teaching

Mormon’s DO accept the trinity teaching however it varies from other teachings on the Trinity, but NOTE this fact; it still is the Trinity doctrine.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not. They teach that; God is almighty and called Jehovah, and his son is called Jesus, and they are separate spiritual beings. But unified in purpose. The holy Spirit is Gods active force. This is what they understand through deep research to be the truth. Witness are well researched on this subject.

2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 03:34
    @rajk999 said
    We have a Mormon among us, probably for the first time. He is Mr. Petty Talk, very vocal around here, so this should be an interesting discussion, comparing JWs and Mormons. This was extracted off Quora.

Q : What are the differences between what Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

A: I was once a ...[text shortened]... the truth. Witness are well researched on this subject.

So what exactly is your purpose with this 'exposé'?
  3. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 05:593 edits
    @rajk999 said

A: I was once a ...[text shortened]... the truth. Witness are well researched on this subject.

My Lutheran bible study classes seem pretty orthodox and boring compared to these two.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 08:17
    @suzianne said
    Well for one thing it outs the waffler who’s been too cowardly to state his beliefs previously.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 09:11
    @suzianne said
    I thought is was obvious that we get to discuss another sect, and expand our knowledge. PettyTalk is here to assist.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 09:13
    @mchill said
    My Lutheran bible study classes seem pretty orthodox and boring compared to these two.
    What do you find interesting? Personally their view of paradise is different, and the part about men having many wives in heaven / paradise seems weird and contrary to the bible.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 09:371 edit
    @rajk999 said
    What do you find interesting? Personally their view of paradise is different, and the part about men having many wives in heaven / paradise seems weird and contrary to the bible.
    I worked with a Mormon many years ago; she believed she was going to eventually get her own planet and that her God lived on a planet called Kobo, or something like that.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 11:121 edit
    @divegeester said
    I worked with a Mormon many years ago; she believed she was going to eventually get her own planet and that her God lived on a planet called Kobo, or something like that.
    Sounds similar to stuff I have read about peoples experiences with Mormons. Also it is in line with PettyTalk's idea of him having authority over people in hell, and his ability to torment others in hell. They are big on this hell business. When he said King David was in hell for his sins, that was the trigger in my mind that this was a Mormon.

Got this comment off Quora ... again people who have been Mormons:

Mormons do not believe they get their own planet. That’s small potatoes. Mormons believe they become Gods and create galaxies and universes as a God. They populate these galaxies with the spirit children they created with the massive amounts of celestial sex the worthy males have with their polygamous harem of wives. Anyone who says this isn’t true – never studied church history or is in denial.

Mormons lean heavily on plastic surgery because their teachings are all surface level about outside appearances, and prosperity = worthiness. There is pressure to look ideal because if your appearance is ideal – you must be pretty special and worthy. Always put your best foot forward. Never complain and make it appear that you are favored by God. We also have a lot of suicides in UT because of this attitude.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 11:47
    @rajk999 said
    I thought is was obvious that we get to discuss another sect, and expand our knowledge. PettyTalk is here to assist.
    Fringe groups that happen to have millions of adherents.

The rank and file of these two groups have some honest Christians who are hardworking upstanding Christians who are an asset to their community. I know and work with members of both groups who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it.

Your rather wide brush stains people who do not deserve it more than it exposes those who do.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 11:54
    @suzianne said
    Fringe groups that happen to have millions of adherents.

The rank and file of these two groups have some honest Christians who are hardworking upstanding Christians who are an asset to their community. I know and work with members of both groups who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it.

Your rather wide brush stains people who do not deserve it more than it exposes those who do.
    I suspect that is true of all religious groups; should we not discuss the beliefs of any religious groups?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 11:57
    @divegeester said
    I suspect that is true of all religious groups; should we not discuss the beliefs of any religious groups?
    I tell you that woman missing dozens of screws with that kind of comment. We cannot discuss anything and she gets offended.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 12:02
    @divegeester said
    It's Kolob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 12:11
    @divegeester said
    I never said that.

I have slammed the JWs myself for their "beliefs" they indoctrinate their followers with. Same with the LDS church.

But holding up the followers of these religions as whackos or dishonest or calculating is not entirely justified. The leaders that inculcate the followers with these beliefs, yeah, but not the victims of the church leadership.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 12:12
    @suzianne said
    It's Kolob.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob
    Are you ok to discuss this, or is it off limits?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 12:14
    @rajk999 said
    I tell you that woman missing dozens of screws with that kind of comment. We cannot discuss anything and she gets offended.
    You attacking me just proves to me that you are far worse than those you perpetually criticize.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree