1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '16 23:46
    What do non-Catholic Christians think of Mother Teresa being declared a "saint"?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 00:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do non-Catholic Christians think of Mother Teresa being declared a "saint"?
    What does a non-Christian think?

Me personally, she is an example of selflessness and put others fitst.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 00:43
    Originally posted by leunammi
    What does a non-Christian think?
    If my thoughts are anything to go by, I would doubt the concept of canonization would mean much to non-believers. But I am curious about whether Christians generally, as opposed to just Catholics, will be inclined to believe the claims about the two miracles that are attributed to her.
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 09:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    If my thoughts are anything to go by, I would doubt the concept of canonization would mean much to non-believers. But I am curious about whether Christians generally, as opposed to just Catholics, will be inclined to believe the claims about the two miracles that are attributed to her.
    I don't really know what the miracles are that are attributed to her, or why it is important. I will say that to elevate someone to some status because there was a miracle is like taking credit for something that has nothing to do with you, the power comes from God.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:02
    Me personally, she is an example of selflessness and put others fitst.
    You might want to do a bit more research:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa
    She actually put promoting Catholicism first.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think it's decent piece of PR by the Vatican.
  7. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What I know of mother Theresa is that she worked in orphanages and with the sick and dedicated her life to that, fairly selfless especially by today's standard.

I will neither take away or add anything to her life, it's not my place. Thanks for the comments.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:36
    That page is under dispute.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:37
    What I know of mother Theresa is that she worked in orphanages and with the sick and dedicated her life to that, fairly selfless especially by today's standard.

I will neither take away or add anything to her life, it's not my place. Thanks for the comments.
    Are you or were you a Catholic yourself?
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you or were you a Catholic yourself?
    Negative.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 10:59
    Selfless yes. But it has been claimed (by herself no less) that she did so not for the sake of others, but for the promotion of Catholicism.

But you did exactly that. You made a judgement about her life and have refused to consider that you may be wrong. If you are wrong, then you have added something to her life.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 11:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That page is under dispute.
    The page, or its contents? The page lists claims by third parties about her life. Are you saying the third parties may not have made those claims and that is under dispute, or are you saying the claims themselves are under dispute?
  13. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 11:17
    Selfless yes. But it has been claimed (by herself no less) that she did so not for the sake of others, but for the promotion of Catholicism.

[b]I will neither take away or add anything to her life, it's not my place. Thanks for the comments.

But you did exactly that. You made a judgement about her life and have refused to consider that you may be wrong. If you are wrong, then you have added something to her life.[/b]
    Sigh...

Not playing, again thanks for your comments.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 11:23
    Sigh...

Not playing, again thanks for your comments.
    I am not playing either. I was serious. Your claim to neutrality is bogus.
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 11:37
    I am not playing either. I was serious. Your claim to neutrality is bogus.
    Please review my comments 7 posts up.

What I know of mother Theresa is that she worked in orphanages and with the sick and dedicated her life to that, fairly selfless especially by today's standard. "

It's what I know, and quite frankly all I care to know about Mother Theresa... no disrespect to her.

If you know additional information about Mother Theresa which causes you to have a different opinion, then good for you. For me, from what I know , she was as I stated, I am sorry that my knowledge is limited with regards to her but it is... it is not a fault.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree