RHP Spirituality Forum Q & A / 2015

RHP Spirituality Forum Q & A / 2015

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
A: Both.

Q: The Hebrew God purportedly communicated this... "The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." ...via Deuteronomy 31:8 which is the Jewish Torah and it's in the Christian Bible too. Why does anyone of any religion place any store on it when one sees what happened to those to whom the promise in the verse was made?
Time for a convoluted (but hopefully fun in a quirky sort of way) answer.

A: There's this video game called Assassin's Creed in which a young man, Desmond Miles, is strapped into this machine that allows him to relive the lives of his ancestors, locked away in his own DNA (so the pseudo-science runs). By interacting with these memories and performing actions in the virtual world in close sync to what his ancestors actually did in the past, he is able to unlock even more ancient memories, thus allowing historians to garner valuable data about things that happened centuries ago.

So, in one game, Desmond is reliving the life of an ancestor in Italy about 1400 BCE, and a mystical person addresses HIM by name, instead of Ezio Auditore, the ancestor's name. He is naturally blown away, as every other person in the virtual world sees Ezio when they look at him. This even brings up a memory of Ezio himself saying "Desmond?! Who is Desmond?!" meaning that it was an historical event that this mystic spoke to Desmond through Ezio, not caring that Ezio had no way of understanding her meaning.

Christians who read these promises and see that the actual people who got them in the story didn't fare so well are undiscouraged because they see themselves as a person like Desmond, receiving a message passed by divine foreknowledge through the sands of history, spoken to people that could not understand it fully, because it wasn't even meant for them, but instead for the future reader of the Bible centuries later.

Q: Have any of you learned any good spiritual lessons from video games? What with the storylines being this detailed now, some really make one stop and think.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Apr 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

A: There's this video game called Assassin's Creed in which a young man, Desmond Miles, is strapped into this machine that allows him to relive the lives of his ancestors, locked away in his own DNA (so the pseudo-science runs). By interacting with these memories and p ...[text shortened]... eo games? What with the storylines being this detailed now, some really make one stop and think.
A. Have no opinion since I haven't played video games.

Q. Has there been a more hotly debated subject on this forum during the past year than "The Lake of Fire"?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Apr 15
1 edit

A: There's this video game called Assassin's Creed in which a young man, Desmond Miles, is strapped into this machine that allows him to relive the lives of his ancestors, locked away in his own DNA (so the pseudo-science runs). By interacting with these memories and p ...[text shortened]... eo games? What with the storylines being this detailed now, some really make one stop and think.
Seems like a stupid video game to me. Don't you think Call of Duty is better? You learn that one can kill the body and it can be resurrected.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Apr 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Seems like a stupid video game to me. Don't you think Call of Duty is better? You learn that one can kill the body and it can be resurrected.
Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
RHP Spirituality Forum Q & A / 2015 (Page 2)

"Please pose an honest question regarding topics in the spiritual realm after answering the last question previously asked.

Q. Most significant life altering decision I've made was to believe in the person and work of Jesus Christ: What was yours?"

A.

Addendum to Format: If you have additional answer related comments, please utilize a Footnote for the purpose. Thanks,"

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Apr 15

Those were just the cut-scenes. The game play is about assassinating people and climbing stuff.

I suffer from 'first person shooter overload.' Played Halo, Gears of War; several of them. By the time I got to Call of Duty it was just another exercise in maneuvering an enemy to the center of the screen and pressing a button lots of times.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

Q. Has there been a more hotly debated subject on this forum during the past year than "The Lake of Fire"?
______________________________________ (see this way this whole post is a footnote)

You were supposed to leave that answer for someone who DOES play video games. 😠

Deep spiritual insights have doubtless been lost. Oh well.

F

Moves
26 Apr 15

A: Perhaps creationism/YEC/intelligent design.

Q: How would the world be different now if its population had been predominantly Buddhists rather than followers of the Abrahamic God over the last 2,000 years?

F

Moves
26 Apr 15

Why not leave questions you don't want to answer or can't answer to people who want to answer them or can answer them?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by FMF
A: Perhaps creationism/YEC/intelligent design.

Q: How would the world be different now if its population had been predominantly Buddhists rather than followers of the Abrahamic God over the last 2,000 years?
A: You could get a hint by looking at countries that are predominantly Buddhist, such as Malaysia.

Q: How would the world be different if the Christians really followed the teachings of Christ?

F

Moves
26 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by CalJust
A: You could get a hint by looking at countries that are predominantly Buddhist, such as Malaysia.
Er... or maybe Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Laos and Mongolia. Only 1% of Malaysians are Buddhist.

Q: How would the world be different if the Christians really followed the teachings of Christ?

There would be a trend towards more focus on community development as opposed to commercial development at the expense of those with limited or no economic power, maybe.

I don't think the economic model of 'pay workers as little as is mathematically possible ~ and pay those who arrange to pay workers [as little as is mathematically possible] as much as is mathematically possible' would survive a proper Jesusification of our economic life.

I have heard the arguments by those who favour extreme concentrations of economic power and dramatic inequality of wealth in which they use Jesus' teaching to support their political outlook, so I am familiar with that.

Q: Many Muslims believe that the very notion that "God" actually came down to Earth Himself as a human being is both ludicrous and disrespectful [of God]. Do any Christians, ever, in moments of reflection and contemplation, think that Jesus as an inspired human [a strand of Christian thinking ~ and literature ~ that was mostly stamped out in the early centuries of Christendom] makes more sense than Jesus-as-God-incarnate?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Apr 15

______________________________________ (see this way this whole post is a footnote)

You were supposed to leave that answer for someone who DOES play video games. 😠

Deep spiritual insights have doubtless been lost. Oh well.
Q. Your question for the next poster to answer? Omitting it serves to break the Q & A Daisy Chain, so to speak. Thank you.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
26 Apr 15
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Do any Christians, ever, in moments of reflection and contemplation, think that Jesus as an inspired human [a strand of Christian thinking ~ and literature ~ that was mostly stamped out in the early centuries of Christendom] makes more sense than Jesus-as-God-incarnate?
NO

Q: Does anyone believe that belief in the theory of evilution and billions of years challenges the truth of the Holy Bible?

Moves
26 Apr 15

NO

Q: Does anyone believe that belief in the theory of evilution and billions of years challenges the truth of the Holy Bible?
A. Yes.

Q. Intellect seems to have little bearing on whether or not someone is a theist or atheist. (I know very clever people who are one or the other). What then, in your opinion, is the main factor some people find God and some people refute his existence?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Apr 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
A. Yes.

Q. Intellect seems to have little bearing on whether or not someone is a theist or atheist. (I know very clever people who are one or the other). What then, in your opinion, is the main factor some people find God and some people refute his existence?
A. At the point of God Consciousness, curiosity may trigger human volition [which resides in the mentality of the soul] to seek further information in order to discover more; if there's no curiosity, human volition chooses to ignore the possibility that God exists and resists further information..

Q. What if you've chosen to ignore the possibility that God does exist and your determination was totally incorrect?

Moves
26 Apr 15

Q. What if you've chosen to ignore the possibility that God does exist and your determination was totally incorrect?
A. Can't speak for all atheists, but i have not chosen to 'ignore the possibility that God exists' nor have i lacked 'curiosity' about his existence.- Indeed, the fact that i chose to read Theology as my Degree is evidence enough that i have considered the possibility of his existence and been curious enough to study the topic and look for answers. - Alas, answers were not forthcoming (just perhaps more questions).
That said, if my determination was incorrect then i would have to 'suffer' the consequences. I will not allow fear to govern what i do and do not believe.

Q. Are the gospels 'not' included in the bible any less important, bearing in mind it was man who excluded them?