Scientific Skepticism

Scientific Skepticism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Nov 14
2 edits

Originally posted by C Hess
How so?
Kenneth Miller is in opposition to creation in the Holy Bible and that is obviously not Christian, because creation is not only part of the Old Testament Jewish understanding, but continued in the teachings of the New Testament Christian understanding. Kenneth Miller stands in direct conflict with Christ and the teachings of Christians that Christ is both God and Creator. Miller's claiming to be Roman Catholic is only a smoke screen. It is clear to me that he is not Christian and is untrustworthy and a liar.

Moves
07 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Kenneth Miller is in opposition to creation in the Holy Bible and that is obviously not Christian, because creation is not only part of the Old Testament Jewish understanding, but continued in the teachings of the New Testament Christian understanding. Kenneth Miller stands in direct conflict with Christ and the teachings of Christians that Christ is both G ...[text shortened]... nly a smoke screen. It is clear to me that he is not Christian and is untrustworthy and a liar.
It's interesting that you should mention how the genesis account has its origin in the jewish religion, in which they (and apparently also early christians) didn't take it to be understood literally.

http://tinyurl.com/lnfogbc

I would have to say that from my point of view it appears that Miller understand genesis pretty much as it was meant to be understood, as allegory.

F

Moves
07 Nov 14

I would have to say that from my point of view it appears that Miller understand genesis pretty much as it was meant to be understood, as allegory.
When I was a Christian I looked upon the Genesis creation story as being allegory.

Moves
07 Nov 14

Originally posted by FMF
When I was a Christian I looked upon the Genesis creation story as being allegory.
Well, it's the only way to make any sense of it, I suppose.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Nov 14

As does the Pope.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
07 Nov 14
1 edit

I believe it is what is referred to as microevolution that Suzianne probably believes. I would be surprised if she believed that monkeys or chimpanzees actually evolved into humans over millions of years. That clearly would be teaching that God is not needed to make man in His own image as the Holy Bible says.
We've had this conversation numerous times. Does the term 'theistic evolution' ring any bells Ron?

Mainline Protestants, Anglicans, United Methodists, Church of the Nazarene, the Eastern Orthodox Church are Christian denominations who accept the premise that all life on this planet evolved from a common ancestor. Creationist Christians are actually in the minority.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Nov 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Here at my present company we have 2 Phd's doing the job of a Phd and one of the last companies, also had several Phd's doing Phs work, at least 3. So that is MY experience with Phd's. Also, my son in law has a Phd in statistical physics and is doing Phd level research in his post. So 6 that I know personally with Phd's and doing Phd level work.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 14

It's interesting that you should mention how the genesis account has its origin in the jewish religion, in which they (and apparently also early christians) didn't take it to be understood literally.

http://tinyurl.com/lnfogbc

Miller had no understanding, because the Jews understood the six days of creation as literally meaning six 24-hour days, with the seventh day also meaning a lteral 24-hour day.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Nov 14

Forty Years a Public School teacher, came to believe in God through his studies in science.

Moves
08 Nov 14

...the Jews understood the six days of creation as literally meaning six 24-hour days, with the seventh day also meaning a lteral 24-hour day.
According to the link I gave you, jews and early christians thought of genesis as allegory. You fail.

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonship
Forty Years a Public School teacher, came to believe in God through his studies in science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3_RKfxPvk
He says that for some of us, unbelief has saturated life because there's so much evidence for it, so atheism has become our faith. He clearly wasn't an atheist by reason. Atheism is specifically about lack of faith. Like so many have pointed out (I honestly don't know who said it first), christians are atheists about all gods but yahweh. We just go one god further. Simple as that.

Cape Town

Moves
08 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3_RKfxPvk
On the other hand, there is very strong statistical evidence that education in science results in higher incidences of atheism. So if you are going to play the example game, you are guaranteed to loose.
For every person you point to who came to believe in God through his studies in science, I can point to two people who lost their belief in God through their studies in science.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
We've had this conversation numerous times. Does the term 'theistic evolution' ring any bells Ron?

Mainline Protestants, Anglicans, United Methodists, Church of the Nazarene, the Eastern Orthodox Church are Christian denominations who accept the premise that all life on this planet evolved from a common ancestor. Creationist Christians are actually in the minority.
The majority of the people belonging to these denominations do not believe in the theory of evolution, but instead believe in creation by God. It is a top down process as is proved by the second law of thermodynamics. Anything that is uncontrolled and left alone tends to decay, degenerate, or deteriorate from order to disorder. Evolution theory suggests an uncontrolled random bottom up process where things progress toward order.

Evolutionary Programming is Organized Top-Down, not Bottom-Up

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 Nov 14

The majority of the people belonging to these denominations do not believe in the theory of evolution, but instead believe in creation by God. It is a top down process as is proved by the second law of thermodynamics. Anything that is uncontrolled and left alone tends to decay, degenerate, or deteriorate from order to disorder. Evolution theory suggests a ...[text shortened]... Programming is Organized Top-Down, not Bottom-Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PFZxCC6-c
The majority of the people belonging to these denominations do not believe in evolution? That's a rather bold statement, do you have any evidence to back it up?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
On the other hand, there is very strong statistical evidence that education in science results in higher incidences of atheism. So if you are going to play the example game, you are guaranteed to loose.
For every person you point to who came to believe in God through his studies in science, I can point to two people who lost their belief in God through their studies in science.
This I believe -

For every person you point to who came to believe in God through his studies in science,

We could trade person's testimonies ad infinitum.
I do not believe your confidence that statistics are on your side.
And that would lead to an argument ad populum if it did.

So, be my guest. Put your interesting people up and I put up mine.
No problem.