Spirituality: Quotations

Spirituality: Quotations

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
18 Feb 14

Even after
all this time
the Sun never says to the earth,

“You owe me.”

Look what happens
with a love like that—

It lights the whole sky.

—Hafiz

Green Boots Cave

Moves
18 Feb 14

''It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil — which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.''

Richard Feynman from Wikiquote

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by biffo konker
''It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil — which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.''

Richard Feynman from Wikiquote
Are you familiar with Satan's prehistoric revolt against God in heaven?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
18 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (page thirteen)
[b]"The fool is one of the leading themes in the Book of Proverbs."

Proverbs 12:23, “A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims folly.” Conceals” means, “to cover or conceal... not to reveal / gossip about other people’s sins, secrets or even your own anger. The word “knowledge”, is contrasted with folly. So the prudent man conceals what he knows about sin and folly in general and that of other people. He does not gossip, malign, slander or lie, and does not reveal the temptations of sin in his own soul. He keeps them all to himself. The prudent man conceals this evil knowledge because he is not driven neurotically by pride to parade his knowledge around in front of others, nor does he allow his rage and angry to escape and wreak harm. He has the self-control to wait for the right situation and the prudence to know when to speak up,

Prov 11:13, “He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy conceals a matter.” As such, he maintains inscrutability where he has control over his situation. Eccl 3:7, “A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; a time to be silent and a time to speak.” Amos 5:12-13, “12 For I know your transgressions are many and your sins are great, you who distress the righteous and accept bribes and turn aside the poor in the gate. 13. Therefore at such a time the prudent person keeps silent, for it is an evil time.” In addition, the prudent man knows when to speak doctrine and when to hold it back. Mat 7:6, “Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.”

“He keeps it to himself without bringing it forth until an occasion presents itself for setting it forth at the right place, at the right time, and to the right man. The right motive also regulates such silence as well as modesty.” (Keil and Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament) “Folly in the wisdom literature is primarily imprudency, but at times definitely includes the concept of moral degeneracy. It is characterized as something that is evident to all. Whereas the prudent person is characterized by silent reflection, the fool blurts out his folly to everyone.” (Complete Biblical Library Hebrew-English Dictionary) So once again, we see what comes from the heart of the fool; folly, evil, moral and immoral degeneracy, etc. They are what they think, as Prov 23:7 tells us, “For as he thinks within himself, so he is. He says to you, “Eat and drink!” But his heart is not with you.” “Because the wise understand the value of words, they use them carefully. Because they know that wisdom comes by listening and learning, they speak sparingly and well (10:19; 17:27). Fools, ignorant of words’ value, are so busy demonstrating their “wisdom” that they speak without thought (18:2).” (Fredric Clarke Putnam, Complete Biblical Library Commentary – Proverbs.)

Principles: The fool is one of the leading themes in the Book of Proverbs. In Scripture the fool is willfully and obstinately walking down the wrong path. It portrays the fool as a self-confident (arrogant), self-deceived person. Godlessness in Israelite society was equated with foolishness, and wisdom was equated with righteousness and godliness. 1. He does not seek wisdom (Bible Doctrine) seriously, but rejects its advice, Prov 23:9. 2. He assumes that he can get wisdom as easily as purchasing something, but there is an inner deficiency that keeps him from actually gaining wisdom; he lacks the heart or inner being to receive it, Prov 17:16. 3. He thinks that he can find the secrets of success in faraway places, ignoring the true wisdom that is right before him, Prov 17:24. 4. He does not want to listen and learn, Prov 26:9, but merely talks to display his own ideas, Prov 18:2. 5. In reality, the fool has none of the knowledge of which he boasts, Psa 92:6. 6. His problem is his heart, the Hebrew term for the whole inward being of humans, which we also call the right lobe of your soul. He has inner rebellion against God that produces outward foolishness, Prov 12:23. It flows out in his words, Prov 15:2. Even a proverb is meaningless when he says it, Prov 26:7. 7. His downfall is complacency, Prov 1:32." (Notes/Rickard)

“Therefore, the wise know how to speak so that their words strengthen, heal and calm others, as we have noted in Prov 12:18; and will see in Prov 15:2, or to rebuke them appropriately and at the right time, Prov 25:11f; 28:23. The wise man’s speech is a source of great blessing to their hearers, and reflects well on them as well. When we are guided by God’s Word in our speech it has the result of producing Divine Good, and we will receive God’s blessings for both time and eternity.

Therefore, as the righteous positively affect those around them and reap the reward of their righteous speech, the wicked are filled with a desire to do evil and cause harm to others with the result of causing harm to themselves too, Prov 10:6; 11:27b, 26:6. Recognizing treachery and wisdom, and therefore avoiding the one and seeking out the other characterize the wise believer.”

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Feb 14

"He's a blockhead who wants a proof of what he can't perceive and he's
a fool who tries to make such a blockhead believe." -William Blake

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Feb 14
1 edit

"Are you a Climate Believer or a Climate Denier [one who denies global warming]?"
February 21, 2014 Evening News -Daryl Hannah, Climate Change Activist

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Feb 14

An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a
church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of
prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not
escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty
vanished, war eliminated.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Über-Nerd

Moves
22 Feb 14

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
H. L. Mencken

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
22 Feb 14

Originally posted by moonbus
"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
H. L. Mencken
"Except for the ones that get the jokes"

The Moron Instructor

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Feb 14
1 edit

"I was at this time of living, like so many Atheists or Anti-theists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing. I was equally angry with Him for creating a world." C.S. Lewis

Infidel

Moves
28 Feb 14
1 edit

On the basis of all these quotes that you've posted I don't think C.S. was ever an atheist, GB.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Feb 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
On the basis of all these quotes that you've posted I don't think C.S. was ever an atheist, GB.
Amazed me too to learn how he fought changing his mind every bit of the way.
There's a quote I must find. Meanwhile, here's another raw confession:

"God has not been trying an experiment on my faith or love in order to find out their quality. He knew it already. It was I who didn't. In this trial He makes us occupy the dock, the witness box, and the bench all at once. He always knew that my temple was a house of cards. His only way of making me realize the fact was to knock it down." -C.S. Lewis

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Feb 14

Here it is, Great King Rat:

“You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodigal Son at least walked home on his own feet. But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words “compelle intrare,” compel them to come in, have been so abused be wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.” - C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy

Infidel

Moves
28 Feb 14

Never an atheist then. At best a critical theist who became less critical over time.

Clearly never an atheist.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
28 Feb 14

Never an atheist then. At best a critical theist who became less critical over time.

Clearly never an atheist.
"Lewis from theism to Christianity" Thread 158163