Spirituality

Spirituality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have shared them. I have been sharing them for nearly 10 years here. I am not asking or expecting anyone to adopt them as their own.
So then if your views are true why don't you want anyone to share your beliefs and believe the truth?

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So then if your views are true why don't you want anyone to share your beliefs and believe the truth?
I said I am not asking or expecting them to. If they find themselves believing the same things as me, it's up to them. There's nothing riding on it. I believe that you and me and whoever might agree with or disagree with me on what to believe, we all end up dead, buried, finished and gone. [Why would I believe anything else?] So if they want to spend their lives dreaming about "heaven" and "hell" and "sin" ~ that's fine by me.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
I said I am not asking or expecting them to. If they find themselves believing the same things as me, it's up to them. There's nothing riding on it. I believe that you and me and whoever might agree with or disagree with me on what to believe, we all end up dead, buried, finished and gone. [Why would I believe anything else?] So if they want to spend their lives dreaming about "heaven" and "hell" and "sin" ~ that's fine by me.
So do you have any confidence that your beliefs are any more true than anyone else's beliefs?

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

So do you have any confidence that your beliefs are any more true than anyone else's beliefs?
Yes. Sure. I am thoughtful. Analytical. Intellectually curious. Educated. Well read. Experienced. Well travelled. I have good cross-cultural skills. And I'm not beholden to any particular ideology, which is something that seeks to extinguish healthy doubt, dissent and independent thinking. Do I have any confidence that my beliefs are true? Yes, of course I do. To be candid with you, it sounds like yet another one of your piss take questions.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
Yes. Sure. I am thoughtful. Analytical. Intellectually curious. Educated. Well read. Experienced. Well travelled. I have good cross-cultural skills. And I'm not beholden to any particular ideology, which is something that seeks to extinguish healthy doubt, dissent and independent thinking. Do I have any confidence that my beliefs are true? Yes, of course I do. To be candid with you, it sounds like yet another one of your piss take questions.
If it doesn't matter to you what other people believe, why do you spend so much time trying to convince other people that they are wrong?

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

If it doesn't matter to you what other people believe, why do you spend so much time trying to convince other people that they are wrong?
I don't think I am trying to convince other people that they are wrong. I just think it's interesting to confront people who make highly elaborate claims about real life based on their superstitious beliefs in supernatural and mystical things. Added to that is my interest in the impact that extreme ideologies have on the intellectual and interpersonal behaviour (and often integrity) of their adherents. Also, in a more nuts and bolts way, I post here because I often work 12-18 hour days at the computer and participating in a discussion and debate forum is enjoyable and breaks up the bit-by-bit work I do nicely, as does playing poor quality chess with a small gaggle of longstanding friends that I've accumulated over the years.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
I don't think I am trying to convince other people that they are wrong. I just think it's interesting to confront people who make highly elaborate claims about real life based on their superstitious beliefs in supernatural and mystical things. Added to that is my interest in the impact that extreme ideologies have on the intellectual and interpersonal behaviour ...[text shortened]... quality chess with a small gaggle of longstanding friends that I've accumulated over the years.
So you have never tried to convince anyone that they are wrong? If you say so.

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

So you have never tried to convince anyone that they are wrong? If you say so.
It's a debate and discussion forum. Make of it what you will. It doesn't much matter whether I convince anyone of anything here. It's just a hobby type pursuit. As for the Christians here, for what it's worth - and I've lived among Christians my whole life long - this bunch have got to be some of the ugliest, most hopeless, alienating, dysfunctional, integrity-challenged, unable-to-process-disagreement Christians I have ever been in a confined space with! ...with some exceptions. That alone makes debate and discussion here interesting. Trying to "convince" them they are wrong? Ha. I think your question says more about your own mind map than you realize. I wish there were people from a wider variety of religions.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
It's a debate and discussion forum. Make of it what you will. It doesn't much matter whether I convince anyone of anything here. It's just a hobby type pursuit. As for the Christians here, for what it's worth - and I've lived among Christians my whole life long - this bunch have got to be some of the ugliest, most hopeless, alienating, dysfunctional, integrity-c ...[text shortened]... your own mind map than you realize. I wish there were people from a wider variety of religions.
So you have tried and failed to convince Christians that they are wrong and now you wish there were more people from other religions for you to pry on because maybe they would be easier to convince? 😵

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

So you have tried and failed to convince Christians that they are wrong and now you wish there were more people from other religions for you to pry on because maybe they would be easier to convince? 😵
More people from other religions would make this debate and discussion forum more diverse and interesting.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
More people from other religions would make this debate and discussion forum more diverse and interesting.
Sure, if you are only here to have fun.

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

Sure, if you are only here to have fun.
This is a hobby/leisure web site, surely.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
This is a hobby/leisure web site, surely.
FMFs hobby: attempt to destroy the faith of Christians. Just for fun.

F

Moves
21 Nov 16

FMFs hobby: attempt to destroy the faith of Christians. Just for fun.
It's a debate and discussion forum. If you think your faith might be so brittle that it could be "destroyed" by talking to someone who has different beliefs from you, and tells you so, then you'd do well to reflect thoroughly on that faith of yours.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Nov 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
It's a debate and discussion forum. If you think your faith might be so brittle that it could be "destroyed" by talking to someone who has different beliefs from you, and tells you so, then you'd do well to reflect thoroughly on that faith of yours.
Well my faith is doing great. It seems your Christian faith was of the brittle variety. 😛