1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 17:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and yet the words of Christ contain many references to the Hebrew scriptures as does the New Testament and the Book of Revelation yet you never thought it prudent to look at their import except within the confines of the New testament itself? How were you supposed to evaluate it in the context of which it is set if you are determined to only look at it within the relatively small parameters of the New testament.
    I lost my belief in Christ, robbie. If you want to somehow blame the Old Testament for it, go ahead. Cite the books by all means. I welcome your analysis.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 17:41
    One aspect of Revelation not to be overlooked is that it announced itself to be God’s final revelation about his son and the son’s final revelation [Rev.22:16]. Anyone who adds to this final revelation will come under the judgment of God [Rev.22:18,19]

"18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

So the book of Revelation serves as a convenient self-proclaimed stopping point for the evolution of the Bible, with the power of a curse.

One must wonder at the stage of development of the Bible at that time. Who had an inerrant idea of the exact composition of the Bible?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 18:003 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I lost my belief in Christ, robbie. If you want to somehow blame the Old Testament for it, go ahead. Cite the books by all means. I welcome your analysis.
    I am not blaming anything FMF i am simply curious as to why someone would evaluate a chapter of a book by looking at the last quarter rather than the entire book.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 18:042 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    One aspect of Revelation not to be overlooked is that it announced itself to be God’s final revelation about his son and the son’s final revelation [Rev.22:16]. Anyone who adds to this final revelation will come under the judgment of God [Rev.22:18,19]

"18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add ...[text shortened]... pment of the Bible at that time. Who had an inerrant idea of the exact composition of the Bible?
    Its a common assumption that the author was making reference to the entire Biblical cannon rather than the scroll or book of revelation when he states 'the words of this book', the implications of this and any significant conclusions that can be drawn from 'knowing the inerrant composition of the Bible', is quite profound.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 18:11

"18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add ...[text shortened]... pment of the Bible at that time. Who had an inerrant idea of the exact composition of the Bible?
    No, it says that you shall not add or subtract from the book of Revelation. It says nothing about any new revelations.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 19:431 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    No, it says that you shall not add or subtract from the book of Revelation. It says nothing about any new revelations.
    I see a lot of Christian web sites saying that the Bible is complete. They generally say this so because Christ's work is complete and has been completely communicated in the Bible, not just because some Bible verse says so. I don't know what this has to do with there being further revelations.

But this is a little OT from the thread. Sorry about that.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '14 20:01
    I see a lot of Christian web sites saying that the Bible is complete. They generally say this so because Christ's work is complete and has been completely communicated in the Bible, not just because some Bible verse says so. I don't know what this has to do with there being further revelations.

And you can probably find a lot of Christian web sites that show pictures of Adam walking with the dinosaurs as well.

Read what it says in Revelation. It says nothing should be added to THIS Revelation or subtraced from it.

It says what it says, you can interpret that any way you like.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 00:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am not blaming anything FMF i am simply curious as to why someone would evaluate a chapter of a book by looking at the last quarter rather than the entire book.
    As I said to sonship on another thread, I realized that Book Of Revelation was too much for me to swallow ~ for the reasons I gave on page 1. Then, once the credibility of the canon was dealt that fatal blow, my faith in its authenticity ~ "the entire book" ~ crumbled and disappeared. You need not feel "curious" any more. 🙂
  9. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 01:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I wonder if any other NT book has contributed as much to Christians questioning and then abandoning their faith as the Book of Revelation has.

Or perhaps it was only me amongst the ex-Christians here.

Over the years, there have been a few Christians here on this Forum who have expressed some reservations about it, but I cannot remember who exactly.

I've ...[text shortened]... on my travels who cited Revelation as a factor in their loss of Christian beliefs.

Thoughts?
    What exactly caused you to lose faith in Rev.?
  10. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 01:45

The bible is not complete. It can never be complete. It is a living book, and something that is living is always growing. If we think of the bible as the Word of God, as John states, then we know God never ends.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 01:56
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    What exactly caused you to lose faith in Rev.?
    You expect me to type it all again? 🙂
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 01:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    You expect me to type it all again? 🙂
    If you have it typed, i'll read it. give me a few minutes.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 02:001 edit
    The bible is not complete. It can never be complete. It is a living book, and something that is living is always growing. If we think of the bible as the Word of God, as John states, then we know God never ends.
    If I had a vision in which Jesus told me that he wanted to add some information to the existing bible, how would I go about getting the text that I wrote canonized? What would be the procedure?

edit: might be worth a thread in its own right
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 02:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    If we accept that a loss of Christian faith goes hand in hand with a loss of belief in the credibility of the NT [and the claims made about its content], what other NT book would you think would contribute to Christians losing their belief in the NT more than the Book of Revelation does [in my humble and as yet not corroborated opinion, at least on this thread] ...[text shortened]... s here, or perhaps empathize with someone going through a process of a loss of belief in the NT.
    In response to this post. The one thing, in my opinion, that would cause a loss of faith by many Christians. When they realize their great escape theory doesn't happen the way they preach it. The "rapture".

Many Christians have more faith in the rapture taking place before the anti-Christ comes, than they have faith in God.

What, you think I'm kidding? Ask nearly any Protestant Christian if they are going in the rapture before all "H" breaks loose.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Apr '14 02:16
    In response to this post. The one thing, in my opinion, that would cause a loss of faith by many Christians. When they realize their great escape theory doesn't happen the way they preach it. The "rapture".
    Well in my case, the claims made by the literature were no longer credible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree