The Death of Darwinism

The Death of Darwinism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
But Darwinism has never shown the evidence for the origin of species as it is supposed to do. 😏
Why don't you give us the scientific definition of 'species'?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Why don't you give us the scientific definition of 'species'?
a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding. The species is the principal natural taxonomic unit, ranking below a genus and denoted by a Latin binomial, e.g., Homo sapiens.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Nov 14

a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding. The species is the principal natural taxonomic unit, ranking below a genus and denoted by a Latin binomial, e.g., Homo sapiens.
So if similar species cannot reproduce, they are not the same species?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Nov 14

So if similar species cannot reproduce, they are not the same species?
Read the definition again and put on your thinking cap, as Judge Judy says. 😏

Moves
09 Nov 14

Sounds about right. By that definition speciation has been directly observed in ring species. Look it up.

YEC again, you fail.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by C Hess
Sounds about right. By that definition speciation has been directly observed in ring species. Look it up.

YEC again, you fail.
There is still no origin of species there.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2012/04/sorry_ring_spec058261.html

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Nov 14

Read the definition again and put on your thinking cap, as Judge Judy says. 😏
I just want to see if you know what it is. Go on, you can say it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14

I just want to see if you know what it is. Go on, you can say it.
You know I have no idea what it means because I got the definition on Google. 😏

Moves
10 Nov 14

There is still no origin of species there.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2012/04/sorry_ring_spec058261.html
😲

Thank you. I think this is the very first time I've seen you link to something honest. It is true that all the examples of ring species (with the possible exception of a plant*), have been proven wrong through genetic analysis. Good catch.

So, it is wrong of me to keep referring to these as ring species. Recently, the last bastion held by the green warblers in asia were proven to not fit the classical example of a ring species, as well.

However, they are still good examples of observed speciation. It's just that they haven't speciated through a steady gene flow, but exhibit evidence of reproductive isolation in the past. That is, there are leaps (if you will) in genetic material between some of the groups, that tells us they were isolated for larger periods of time in the past than the classical model of ring species would predict, disqualifying them for the title of ring species.

But this was your best attempt at arguing your case yet. You used actual scientific discoveries to make your case (or the author of that article did). I almost got knocked out of my chair here.

I have hopes for you again.

🙂

* http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v486/n7404/full/486442c.html

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14
1 edit

😲

Thank you. I think this is the very first time I've seen you link to something honest. It is true that all the examples of ring species (with the possible exception of a plant*), have been proven wrong through genetic analysis. Good catch.

So, it is wrong of me to keep referring to these as ring species. Recently, the last bastion held by the ...[text shortened]... opes for you again.

🙂

* http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v486/n7404/full/486442c.html
It should tell us that God made them to be able to reproduce that way. 😏

Moves
10 Nov 14

It should tell us that God made them to be able to reproduce that way. 😏
You don't even understand what I'm talking about, do you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14

You don't even understand what I'm talking about, do you?
Maybe not. Can you explain what you are talking about in simple terms?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Nov 14

Maybe not. Can you explain what you are talking about in simple terms?
Very simple terms so even RJ can figure out a way to rationalize it all away.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 14

Very simple terms so even RJ can figure out a way to rationalize it all away.
That's right, I need it very simple due to my Dementia problem. 😏

Moves
10 Nov 14

That's right, I need it very simple due to my Dementia problem. 😏
Imagine a chain, where every link is slightly different from every other. Now the first and last link in the chain don't match at all, but every other link in the chain still matches the links it's connected to.

Now, think of each link as a population of a given species (like the famous salamander in california). Every population can interbreed with the neighbouring population, and thereby exchange genetic material (gene flow). But the first and last population in the "chain" can't or won't reproduce with each other.

That's the classical definition of a ring species, where you have a continuous gene flow between neighbouring populations, but where the end populations doesn't interbreed - essentially behaving like two different species.

We used to think we had four or five examples of observed ring species, but genetic analysis has revealed that "links" in the chain are broken, i.e. there are such genetic differences between more than just two populations to call it a "chain".