1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 01:461 edit
    # 4 Knowing God is the God of the living.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:07
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    # 4 Knowing God is the God of the living.
    It's a bit of a pity that you seem content to reduce this to a parade of fridge magnet slogans. Never mind. Would you, then, concede that (conversely) one of The top 10 benefits of atheism is 'Knowing that there is no God that is the God of the living'?
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:23
    Originally posted by roigam
    #1 reason to be a theist is to stand on Jehovah's side and declare the excellencies of that One who called us out of darkness,
    (1 Peter 2:9) But you are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies” of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
    (Matt ...[text shortened]... ctified.
    The sanctifying of God's Name Jehovah is the most important reason to be a Christian!
    Good post brother....
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by roigam
    The sanctifying of God's Name Jehovah is the most important reason to be a Christian!
    What a decidedly odd supernatural being it'd be that would create people and then deem "sanctifying" its name to be "the most important" thing for them to do. Sounds like the mentality of character in a fairy story for children.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:50
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Oops sorry guys. Was going to create a thread about the benefits of theism, just as a sarcastic ploy to list a load of ridiculous stereo types and misconceptions about what it means to be a theist.

Then I remembered, I'm not a forum newbie, or Fetchmyjunk.
    What a strange thread.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 02:56
    Originally posted by josephw
    What a strange thread.
    I think there are benefits of theism that some people and communities derive.

Take Christianity for example, assuming that it's the predominant religious faith in the community in which one lives, it would perhaps make professing the same faith easy, convenient and even socially enabling/empowering.

Other benefits from being a theist/Christian - if you held the beliefs sincerely - would perhaps include comfort and solace at certain times, community spirit and solidarity, a sense of purpose and meaning.

It might also provide you with a set of perceived rules or values which might help to make you live your life in a morally sound way, and your belief in an afterlife might help you to come to terms with the inevitability of your own death (and the deaths of people dear to you).
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think there are benefits of theism that some people and communities derive.

Take Christianity for example, assuming that it's the predominant religious faith in the community in which one lives, it would perhaps make professing the same faith easy, convenient and even socially enabling/empowering.

Other benefits from being a theist/Christian - if you h ...[text shortened]... o come to terms with the inevitability of your own death (and the deaths of people dear to you).
    What're you talking about?

I'm not at all worried about dying.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:22
    What're you talking about?

I'm not at all worried about dying.
    Well, then, perhaps you are proving my point.

The ideas I shared are general benefits I am aware of. There is no pretense that they all apply to everybody. Nor is there any pretense that the list of ideas is exhaustive.

In your case, your religious beliefs may well be the reason you can honestly state "I'm not at all worried about dying" and really mean it (assuming you do). Most religions teach their adherents that they need not be worried about dying. Christianity does it too.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, then, perhaps you are proving my point.

The ideas I shared are general benefits I am aware of. There is no pretense that they all apply to everybody. Nor is there any pretense that the list of ideas is exhaustive.

In your case, your religious beliefs may well be the reason you can honestly state "I'm not at all worried about dying" and really mean i ...[text shortened]... gions teach their adherents that they need not be worried about dying. Christianity does it too.
    "Most religions teach their adherents that they need not be worried about dying. Christianity does it too."

Death has no power over the one that has faith in Christ. There's no worry. We have eternal life as a present possession.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 03:43
    Death has no power over the one that has faith in Christ. There's no worry. We have eternal life as a present possession.
    My point exactly. So that absence of "worry" can be said to be a benefit of your faith.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 04:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    My point exactly. So that absence of "worry" can be said to be a benefit of your faith.
    The benefit is they have a life long crutch meant to prop up weak minds. God forbid they should use their supposed god give mental abilities to actually think critically about it all.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 05:232 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The benefit is they have a life long crutch meant to prop up weak minds.
    Nonsense. There are all manner of 'minds' among theists: smart, weak, maverick, conformist, remarkable, unremarkable, "evil", admirable, and everything along a spectrum from'repulsive/warning to others' to exemplary/inspirational. I don't believe your life experience has actually led you to believe that belief in the hereafter is the stuff of "weak minds", so I assume you are just trying to be your usual big mouth bovver boy atheist self trampling over the diverse realities of the human condition. 😉
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    So then, what keeps you from worrying about death?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 07:44
    So then, what keeps you from worrying about death?
    I suppose it's my happy, busy, interesting life. I will probably have some regrets - that it's drawing to a close - when I get closer to death and maybe some anxiety about being a burden on my family.

But we live and we die; I have come to terms with it. If you believe you live here first and then you live forever 'elsewhere' (so to speak) and that is, in effect, how you come to terms with death (i.e. by telling yourself death is not the end), then good for you if it makes you happy.

By contrast, I find myself simply recognizing that death is the end and that it serves me no purpose to spend my time wishing otherwise.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Feb '17 08:14
    #5 Knowing that God is here for us through good times and the bad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree