1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 16:13
    Is believing that He really existed over 2,000 years ago enough? Or do we need to believe that He is the Son of God? Or do we need to believe that He is God?

Once we decide which 'belief' is necessary, what then do we do next? Is the belief alone satisfactory? Or do we need to follow up with Christ like works? And if along the way, we have doubts about Him, are we back at square one?

For believers, we need to make sure that we get this 'right' so that we obtain eternal life, but I have been having much doubt personally about it all and am surprised to see so many conflicting opinions about this subject.

Mark 9:24 Lord I believe, but help my unbelief
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 16:47
    Originally posted by chaney3
    What does Jesus want from us?

For believers, we need to make sure that we get this 'right' so that we obtain eternal life,
    My reading of the Gospels is that Jesus wants you to act compassionately towards your fellow man because you love them, not because you desperately want to obtain eternal life. Jesus supplies a catch 22. You get eternal life if you are a nice human being. Acting nice just so you can get into heaven doesn't cut it.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 17:40
    Is believing that He really existed over 2,000 years ago enough? Or do we need to believe that He is the Son of God? Or do we need to believe that He is God?

Once we decide which 'belief' is necessary, what then do we do next? Is the belief alone satisfactory? Or do we need to follow up with Christ like works? And if along the way, we have doubts ab ...[text shortened]... ny conflicting opinions about this subject.

You are probably confused because you dont listen to the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus wants his followers to obey his commandments chief of which is to love your neighbour as yourself.

There are too many references. All of the teachings of Christ are centered around this core doctrine.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 17:59
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You are probably confused because you dont listen to the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus wants his followers to obey his commandments chief of which is to love your neighbour as yourself.

There are too many references. All of the teachings of Christ are centered around this core doctrine.
    To avoid all doubt, Christ said it the other way... ie what he does NOT want from us.

He does NOT want talkers, mouth worshipers and hypocrites.

Mat_7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Luk_6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Yet despite these clear warnings you will find that many Christians will tell you that all you have to do is to proclaim your faith with your mouth and you will get eternal life.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:221 edit
    For believers, we need to make sure that we get this 'right' so that we obtain eternal life, but I have been having much doubt personally about it all and am surprised to see so many conflicting opinions about this subject.
    Have you decided whether or not you are a Christian yet?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Have you decided whether or not you are a Christian yet?
    I'm not exactly sure anymore what a 'Christian' is. So, I don't know.

Is a Christian someone who posts 'good riddance' when news of Prince's death is reported? Like Rakj999 said in his post above, can someone SAY they are a Christian and then their actions and words prove otherwise?

I cited the verse from Mark because I have belief.....but also unbelief, and am willing to try to learn.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:441 edit

Once we decide which 'belief' is necessary, what then do we do next? Is the belief alone satisfactory? Or do we need to follow up with Christ like works? And if along the way, we have doubts ab ...[text shortened]... ny conflicting opinions about this subject.

The devil believes it does him no good what so ever. Believing for us just opens the door
    for something more. Anyone can believe and be no different than the day before they
    started believing.

Philippians 3:8
    What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:483 edits
    What Jesus wants us to do is to do what He did - live in unity with the living God.
    And it cannot be done apart from Jesus - Who is God and man mingled.

Here's a sample:

" As the living Father has sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me." (John 6:57)

Jesus is God and man mingled as one.
    As a man Jesus lived by the Father who sent Him.

Jesus wants us to "eat" him so that we may live because of Him.

Do not be put off by the phrase " ... he who eats Me ".
    To "eat" Him is to take Him into our being.
    To "eat" Jesus precludes that Jesus is in a form in which He can get into our very being.
    To "eat" Jesus is to internalize the living and available Son of God.

Note - nothing in this passage is about "going" anywhere; to heaven or anywhere else.
    The passage is about taking in the One who lived by the Father and correspondingly live by this One.

That's enough for this post.

"As the living Father has sent Me ...

and I live because of the Father ...

SO ... he who eats Me ...

he also shall live because of Me. "

Did you eat Jesus today ?
    God wants us to absorb into our innermost being the crucified, resurrected and available Jesus Christ in His form as the life giving Holy Spirit.

I may go on to explain how we can eat Him, from that very same 6th chapter of John.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:50

There's a reason the Lord Jesus Christ warned that man cannot serve two masters.
    There's a reason it's said that money makes the world go 'round (even though it's flat, amirite?)
    There's a reason He also said that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
    Planet Earth is a trading post.
    In this spiritual trading post, man is given the opportunity to exchange his works for His work.
    Those who make the right trade get the showcase prize.
    Those who sit on the crap they came with, well...
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:526 edits

If you want to understand what Jesus wants from his followers, you need to look to on what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth - not on what others taught. One needs to understand His words - not just understand His words, but believe His words - not just believe His words, but follow his words - not just follow His words, but KEEP His words - KEEP His words as He kept His father's words.

Jesus wants his followers to become a son of God as He is a son of God, i.e., Jesus wants his followers to become one with God as He is one with God, i. e., one with the will of God, i. e. one who does not go against the will of God, i. e. one who does not commit sin.

Ultimately, it's about transformation. Transformation from a "bad tree" to a "good tree". Transformation from one "born of the flesh" to one "born of the spirit". Transformation from a "slave" of committing sin to one "free" from committing sin.

One does not have "eternal life" / cannot "live in the kingdom" until this transformation is complete.

Read the words of Jesus while He walked the Earth and you will see all of the above. Read the words of others and you will see something very different. From what I can tell, the vast majority of Christians follow the words of others - not the words of Jesus. Yet inexplicably they call themselves "followers of Jesus". No wonder that you're confused.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 19:581 edit
    Well you have claimed your are a Christian, then claimed you are not a Christian and never gave been, then lied about your first claim...so I was just wondering if you had decided what you actually are this current point in time?
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 20:04

Is a Christian someone who posts 'good riddance' when news of Prince's death is reported? Like Rakj999 said in his post above, can someone SAY they are a Christian and then their actions and words prove otherwise?

I cited the verse from Mark because I have belief.....but also unbelief, and am willing to try to learn.
    I like what twhitehead said in his post above...

"My reading of the Gospels is that Jesus wants you to act compassionately towards your fellow man because you love them, not because you desperately want to obtain eternal life."

From scripture we find this regarding love...

Mark 12:29-31English Standard Version (ESV)

29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

At the heart of being a Christian is love, John puts it this way...

John 13:35English Standard Version (ESV)

35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

We should not desire the end of another person, even a guy like Prince (as in your example), that is in God's hands.

It's all about love.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 20:07
    Is a Christian someone who posts 'good] riddance' when news of Prince's death is reported?
    You'll have to excuse him. He just found out Prince was a JW...
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 20:111 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    We should not desire the end of another person, even a guy like Prince (as in your example), that is in God's hands.
    I'm so pleased Prince is dead. I hated him with a psychotic hate because he was, well a short person actually. I hated him so much that when I heard he was dead I did nothing, absolutely nothing at all. And even worse than that, when someone posted about it in the general forum, I posted the RHP ubiquitous "good riddance". I am evil, a son of satan, worse than satan, an actual sadist.

🙄
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Apr '16 20:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You'll have to excuse him. He just found out Prince was a JW...
    Now, he is just like Bob Dylan:
    Knock-knock-knockin' on heaven's door...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree