1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 20:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You also know Fischer was a nut case of the first order.
    Don't you think all very brainy people are at least a little odd. I bet most of the high rated chess players are socially awkward at least.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 20:321 edit
    All the genius in the world will not will a god to be if there is none. You also know Fischer was a nut case of the first order. It turned out he was 100% Jewish yet he was a frothing at the mouth anti-Semitic. Newton was pretty neurotic also.

Humans believing in some god or other won't bring one about if there is none in the first place.

Neither Ath ...[text shortened]... an insane being or can say I don't know and I don't really give a rats ass one way or the other.
    Fischer wasn't even circumcised and was a professed Christian, in fact he was a rather devout Christian and loved to read the Bible. He was no more Jewish than a pork chops with apple sauce. How on earth you get the idea that he was Jewish is ludicrous. Put your dim-o-meter on Bobby and he'll blow it up for you and you can take your theory back to the drawing board.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 21:16
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    It doesn't matter that people who believe in Jesus as their Savior are seemingly more "dumb" than others who are atheists and seem "smart." Also, the judgement of whether someone is "dumb" or "smart" is in the context of the judge's intent. It is subjective rather than objective.

Personally, I do not understand why atheists think they "know" that th ...[text shortened]... hich are not, to bring to nought things that are:

That no flesh should glory in his presence.
    Proving that there is no God is quite simple.
    Proving that there is no god on the other hand is a little bit more tricky.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 21:571 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It should be noted that some exceptional minds were theists, Issac Newton and Robert Fischer just by way of example. The idea that a belief in theism must be accompanied by low intelligence is difficult to source. I suspect that there are slapheads in both camps, however the idea that theism or atheism contributes to or causes low intelligence is unfounded in my mind.
    As mentioned by sonhouse, religion or lack thereof is not a cause for intelligence but the correlation is rather easy to explain.

Consider a stupid person wants to make sense of his life, wants some sort of understanding of why things happen as they do in the world. He has three choices really:

1) do nothing
    2) learn something about science
    3) Attribute everything to magic.

Acknowledging that a small proportion of the stupid but curious choose (1) (they don't get any questions answered), it is easy to see that (2) is not really an option (since science is too hard for stupid people). And so if a stupid person really wants to make some sort of sense of the world around him he has to opt for (3) - namely that goddidit!
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 22:06
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Proving that there is no god on the other hand is a little bit more tricky.
    Do tell.
  6. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 22:06
    Agerg,
    Science does not answer God. If you think that it does, then you are blinded.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 22:351 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Proving that there is no God is quite simple.
    Do tell.[/b]
    Well firstly, given that you didn't comment that the second of my statements looks suspiciously contradictory to the first, may I assume you acknowledge that my reference to capitalised 'g' God in the first statement is also a reference to a specific notion of one of the infinite possible gods (the one KingOnPoint believes exists)?
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '14 23:331 edit
    Agerg and Others,
    Furthermore, science does not even try to disprove the existence of God. It has no structure to prove, and thus disprove, God.

The bottom line is that we cannot depend on science for our belief system in a Creator, God, who cannot be experienced with our 5 senses unless He makes Himself experienced by humans.

Science, then, has a failing that does not serve mankind. Also, even science with all its resultant knowledge, fails in all the things it does not answer intermixed and intertwined among what it does answer. Science can only take mankind so far.

King James Version
    ==============
    Proverbs 9: 10
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Hebrews 11: 1-3
    Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

For by it the elders obtained a good report.

Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 00:431 edit
    Fischer wasn't even circumcised and was a professed Christian, in fact he was a rather devout Christian and loved to read the Bible. He was no more Jewish than a pork chops with apple sauce. How on earth you get the idea that he was Jewish is ludicrous. Put your dim-o-meter on Bobby and he'll blow it up for you and you can take your theory back to the drawing board.
    I was speaking of his heritage, he thought only his mom was Jewish. He thought his dad was German I think. Then it was shown his biological father was also Jewish. That makes him Jewish, even if he is a professed Christian. If he wanted to get circumcised and go to Israel, he could make aliya and become an Israeli citizen.

Obviously, being anti-semitic, he would have been unlikely to have been an observant Jew.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 05:57
    It doesn't matter that people who believe in Jesus as their Savior are seemingly more "dumb" than others who are atheists and seem "smart." Also, the judgement of whether someone is "dumb" or "smart" is in the context of the judge's intent. It is subjective rather than objective.

Believing intelligence is subjective shows how dumb you are!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 07:22
    I was speaking of his heritage, he thought only his mom was Jewish. He thought his dad was German I think. Then it was shown his biological father was also Jewish. That makes him Jewish, even if he is a professed Christian. If he wanted to get circumcised and go to Israel, he could make aliya and become an Israeli citizen.

Obviously, being anti-semitic, he would have been unlikely to have been an observant Jew.
    My fathers a technician, my mother is a trained chef, does that make me a technician or a chef? according to your logic, if we shall call it logic? If you do not profess the tenets of Judaism, how are you a Jew? Clearly Fischer was not and in fact he despised Judaism making the assertion that he was Jewish, ludicrous.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 07:232 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Believing intelligence is subjective shows how dumb you are!
    really? and how will you measure intelligence on your dim-o-meter?

I had a friend, Gavin McNay, he had a first class honours degree from Glasgow University in mathematics (number theory) yet he failed his ordinary English exam 'o' grade at the time, was he dim or brainy?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 07:271 edit
    The bottom line is that we cannot depend on science for our belief system in a Creator, God, who cannot be experienced with our 5 senses unless He makes Himself experienced by humans.
    May I ask how you do experience God, if not via your 5 senses?
    Is it your claim that God has no physical effect on the universe?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 07:592 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    As mentioned by sonhouse, religion or lack thereof is not a cause for intelligence but the correlation is rather easy to explain.

Consider a stupid person wants to make sense of his life, wants some sort of understanding of why things happen as they do in the world. He has three choices really:

1) do nothing
    2) learn something about science
    3) Attribut ...[text shortened]... to make some sort of sense of the world around him he has to opt for (3) - namely that goddidit!
    yes because lets all hail the God of science, it can tell us everything we need to know, so lets conduct an experiment, lets ask,

1. Why am I here?
    2. Is there a purpose to life?
    3. How can i find happiness?
    4. What is art?

Lets ask the God of science so that it may answer. . . . . .and what we find is that there is an eerie silence, it has ears but cannot listen, a mouth but it does not speak, eyes yet it cannot see and who are all those streaming to its houses of worship? The so called intelligentsia????

I mock your simplistic scenario Agers and if you don't go away 'I shall taunt you a second time!', science cannot make sense of anything but that which is material, to make sense of life we need metaphysics.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jul '14 08:24
    yes because lets all hail the God of science, it can tell us everything we need to know, so lets conduct an experiment, lets ask,

1. Why am I here?
    2. Is there a purpose to life?
    3. How can i find happiness?
    4. What is art?

Lets ask the God of science so that it may answer. . . . . .and what we find is that there is an eerie silence, it ...[text shortened]... ot make sense of anything but that which is material, to make sense of life we need metaphysics.
    Don't you mean science falsely so-called, like evolution? Such as Paul warned Timothy about in the letter below:

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

(1Timothy 6:10 KJV)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree