1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 19:455 edits
    People are different. Some have higher sex drives than others. Religion does humanity a disservice by insisting that we all behave as if we are the same.

That was clear enough. No misunderstanding on my part. And I responded.

I responded -

This is a very wide generalization BigDoggProblem.
    And it is a bit self refuting one. You are doing much the same thing by insisting everyone agree with your opinion here.

etc. etc.

Oddly, it also promotes an extreme skepticism of the human race. "You cannot be trusted to manage your own sexuality responsibly!"

I don't know who else is being expected to manage your self control besides yourself.

You seem to be implying a kind of anarchy (in a good sense perhaps)? I mean, something suggesting no laws are needed because everyone, left alone, will do just fine.

Did you get your daily newspaper yet?

There was a time in history where pure anarchy without human government was in place. That period ended with the Flood in Noah's time. Before that flood God gave space for EVERYONE to just go by their own conscience.

That was a true totally libertarian society. That was a true anarchy.
    It did not end well. It ended in the need for divine judgment.
    Sin infested Man mistakes himself for the person he wishes to be.

Fallen Man (from the sin of Adam) too often mistakes himself for what he ought to be. What he knows and what he ends up DOING are not the same because of the sin nature enslaving men.

But I agree that mere OUTWARD coercion of government is not a solution.
    But to abolish all laws and jails is not the solution. Everyone WILL NOT, in fact, simply manage themselves.

There is some ground for you to say "Encourage people to manage THEMSELVES." There is some ground for that. But there is no total ground because some will not do so. Harm is inflicted on others. So detention, punishment, reform, imprisonment, and in some cases even death, is needed to control the abuses of those who WILL NOT simply nobly manage themselves.

- it chides. "You might make a hash of it - so the best thing to do is repress your sexuality or at least limit it to a single method of practice that is the least likely to cause harm!"

I am not doubting that many people can find happiness in a committed, monogamous relationship. I know many people who do [or at least, if they are cheating, they have fooled everyone]. But, what a great loss to people who can responsibly enjoy sex outside of marriage that the stony-faced rule-makers feel compelled to take that away from them.

Well, I honestly don't think I misunderstood you in the first place.
    I think I got it the first time.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 20:036 edits
    It is also something of common sense.

If you don't want the burden of bringing up a child you produce, then don't burden some child by bringing him or her into the world irresponsibly.

If you disdain the burden of responsibility for that human being you created having sex, don't burden that human being by creating them, leaving them without a united dad and mom to love and raise them.

Put it another "non-religious way". The 1960s was a time of a lot of "Free Love". We found out that it was not that "Free". How "free" were the millions of kids with missing dads or missing moms?

How "free" in many ways, was the millions of terminated babies human beings from "abortion on demand"? I don't think all the "Free Love" turned out to be without a price to the subsequent generations.

I'm not a social or political activist. I preach that sinners need the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to be really free.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 21:07
    Originally posted by sonship
    It is also something of common sense.

If you don't want the[b] burden
    of bringing up a child you produce, then don't burden some child by bringing him or her into the world irresponsibly.

If you disdain the burden of responsibility for that human being you created having sex, don't burden that human being by creating them, leavin ...[text shortened]... litical activist. I preach that sinners need the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to be really free.[/b]
    We are discussing the acts of fornication and adultery.
    It is not productive to introduce red-herrings of fatherless
    children and abortions ... they are separate issues.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 21:301 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    We are discussing the acts of fornication and adultery.
    It is not productive to introduce red-herrings of fatherless
    children and abortions ... they are separate issues.
    OK.

Discuss. I'm out. Not needed on "Which is better Fornication or Adultery...".
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 22:38
    OK.

Discuss. I'm out. Not needed on "Which is better Fornication or Adultery...".
    I hope none of those toys broke on their way out of the pram!
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '14 22:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I hope none of those toys broke on their way out of the pram!
    You lost me. I'm sure there is some wit there of some kind.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Dec '14 06:58
    You lost me. I'm sure there is some wit there of some kind.
    It is a British saying that I only partially understand. Pram is some sort of child's play place. Throwing the toys out happens when the child has a tantrum.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Dec '14 07:05
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It is a British saying that I only partially understand. Pram is some sort of child's play place. Throwing the toys out happens when the child has a tantrum.
    "Pram" is short for "perambulator," I think. That is, a baby buggy or stroller. It's a British term.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Dec '14 07:06
    People are different. Some have higher sex drives than others. Religion does humanity a disservice by insisting that we all behave as if we are the same.

That was clear enough. No misunderstanding on my part. And I responded.

I responded -

[quote]
    This is a very wide generalization BigDoggProblem.
    And it is a bit self ...[text shortened]... y don't think I [b]misunderstood
    you in the first place.
    I think I got it the first time.[/b]
    I'm not at all 'insistent' that others agree with my opinion. I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

I'm not suggesting anarchy. I suggest a balanced approach to human sexuality. Not the hysterical, hand-waving "OMG! Some people got pregnant and got diseases! Let's ban all fornication entirely!"

It is much like banning slides on a playground because a kid falls off one and breaks an ankle. Never mind the fact that most kids have fun playing on slides and never get hurt.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    30 Dec '14 08:35
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It is much like banning slides on a playground because a kid falls off one and breaks an ankle. Never mind the fact that most kids have fun playing on slides and never get hurt.
    I had lots of fun fornicating .... and never got hurt. 😉
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 15:152 edits
    This foolish man writes -

I had lots of fun fornicating .... and never got hurt.

Don't listen to this kind of wicked boasting. Rather heed the Bible that a slow postponing of final judgment should not be mistaken as a failure for us to be judged, and an encouragement to keep sinning without seeking God's forgiveness.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 - "Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the children of men is fully within them to do evil."

Rather we should pray "God have mercy on me. Because lightning didn't strike me down yesterday when I committed fornication, I am emboldened to boast and sin more. Lord Jesus save me from myself. Lord Jesus come into my heart to replace my enjoyment of sin with the enjoyment of righteous, clean, beautiful human living with You."

We should ask that we do not be deceived because the resultant crop of the evil seed we sowed does not speedily come up.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '14
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 15:21
    neither is better than the other. I am a sinner of both in the past and it made me feel depressed. But if an unmarried man has sex with an unmarried woman, is it bad?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by Captain J
    neither is better than the other. I am a sinner of both in the past and it made me feel depressed. But if an unmarried man has sex with an unmarried woman, is it bad?
    What do you think?

God created sex. Why not trust Him for your legitimate need for intimacy in the God ordained manner of the married life?

Hebrews 14:4 in a few good translations -

English Standard Version
    Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

New American Standard Bible
    Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

King James Bible
    Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
    Marriage must be respected by all, and the marriage bed kept undefiled, because God will judge immoral people and adulterers.

The concern should give us incentive to want to be close to the Overcomer, the Victor, the Lord Jesus Who cares for our legitimate human need. And He can flow the overcoming grace into our being to escape corruption.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 19:37
    This foolish man writes -

I had lots of fun fornicating .... and never got hurt.

Don't listen to this kind of wicked boasting. Rather heed the Bible that a slow postponing of final judgment should not be mistaken as a failure for us to be judged, and an encouragement to keep sinning without seeking God's forgiveness.

[b]Ecclesi ...[text shortened]... not be deceived because the resultant crop of the evil seed we sowed does not speedily come up.
    I love posts like this. Faced with another human's experience of fun with no downside - no one getting hurt - the response is that - it's wicked and evil.

Is it any wonder than Christianity is looked on as backward and archaic? This is really simple stuff. If people have a good time and no one gets hurt, that is a good thing. Duh!
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Dec '14 19:391 edit

What gives you the right to call me wicked?
    What gives you the right to tell others what to do?

Live your life according to some ancient desert code but
    leave others to live their lives according to how they wish.

You think quoting from your story book gives your opinion weight?
    You are deluded - totally deluded, but I'm happy for you to live in delusion
    talking to your imaginary friend in the sky and his son whom he punished
    so that he could forgive your sins. Your forgiven - big deal.

Now shut up unless you have something interesting to say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree