Why are you are an atheist

Why are you are an atheist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
So you changed your mind with a realisation that the whole Christianity thing didn't make sense but you can't seem to remember which parts exactly didn't make sense because it was too long ago? I guess then there is no point in pursuing this discussion any further. Thanks for your time.
I know which parts don't make sense now. I don't recall the details of what I thought at age 12. Would it matter what I thought at age 12?

Moves
26 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."

That is one of the most gorgeous thoughts ever penned; if you can neuter it unclunkily, kudos.

If one does not keep pace with one's companions, perhaps it is because they hear a differ ...[text shortened]... abominable.

Oh fuggito: if ya doesn't keep up wid ya buddies, mebee ya gots da wrong buddies!
Not sure I would qualify it as one of the most gorgeous thoughts ever penned, but it's not a bad thought.

"If someone does not keep pace with their companions, perhaps it is because they hear a different drummer.
Let them step to the music they hear, however measured or far away".

There are all sorts of different ways one could degender it, but that is probably what I would plump with having
thought about it for a moment. To my ear speaking it out loud it looses none of the poetry, keeps the same rhythm
and now doesn't exclude everyone who doesn't identify as male.

The they does work because they can be used as a singular, and has been so used since the 14th century including
by Shakespeare. And who are you or I, to argue with Shakespeare. 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Singular they
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they, or its inflected or derivative forms, such as them, their, themself, or themselves, as a gender-neutral pronoun to refer to a single person or an antecedent that is grammatically singular. It typically occurs with an antecedent of indeterminate gender, as in sentences such as:

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"[1]
"The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
"But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."[2]

The singular they had emerged by the 14th century and is common in everyday spoken English, but its use has been the target of criticism since the late nineteenth century. Its use in formal English has increased with the trend toward gender-inclusive language.

EDIT:
If a man or woman does not keep pace with his or her companions ... is clunky.

Yep, that is where the singular they, or in this case the word someone, comes in.

If s/he does not keep pace with her or his companions ... is abominable.

Agreed, but now you're deliberately choosing sucky ways of doing it... Straw man much.

Oh fuggito: if ya doesn't keep up wid ya buddies, mebee ya gots da wrong buddies!

Mine's better than that. 😛

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
26 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
I know which parts don't make sense now. I don't recall the details of what I thought at age 12. Would it matter what I thought at age 12?
I know which parts don't make sense now.

Would you care to share them? Also why atheism? Which parts of atheism made more sense? What evidence are you referring to?

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 16

Would you care to share them?
Almost all of them.
Some of the big ones:
1. My understanding of the way the brain works leave no room for an rational afterlife (which is fairly central to Christianity).
2. The problem of evil, ie if there is a good, loving God, then why the &%*# do people suffer?
3. The Bible is so obviously made up in parts, there is no good reason to think that the important parts aren't too.

Also why atheism? Which parts of atheism made more sense?
Once again, atheism isn't a religion. You question doesn't make sense.

What evidence are you referring to?
See 1. 2. and 3. above for starters. But there is mountains of evidence overall.

Moves
26 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Originally posted by googlefudge
"The person you're quoting seems to know what they are talking about rather than "they"?

Singular/Plural Addendum: "The person you're quoting seems to know what" [he and/or she is] "talking about"?
No, they is correct.

"he and/or she" is a horrible clunky mess that doesn't deal with the fact that there are
those that don't identify as either.

Cape Town

Moves
26 May 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Again with the "realization".
Again with the total lack of meaningful comment from Suzianne. Get back to me when you have something worth saying.

Moves
26 May 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast
I've said this before and likely [knowing you] will have to say it again.

Truth is far from the only thing that pisses people off, and truth doesn't always piss people off.

Which makes that quote both trite and inaccurate. Not that it is at all applicable to the current
circumstances even if that were not the case.

If you are trying to use other peoples quotes to make yourself appear smart, then your strategy
is backfiring horribly.

rc

Moves
26 May 16
1 edit

I've said this before and likely [knowing you] will have to say it again.

Truth is far from the only thing that pisses people off, and truth doesn't always piss people off.

Which makes that quote both trite and inaccurate. Not that it is at all applicable to the current
circumstances even if that were not the case.

If you are trying to use other peoples quotes to make yourself appear smart, then your strategy
is backfiring horribly.
Hey Googlelord when are you planning on springing Duchess64 from jail, anytime soon? 😵

Moves
26 May 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Hey Googlelord when are you planning on springing Duchess64 from jail, anytime soon? 😵
I don't know, given that that is a fiction entirely of your own devising I haven't really got it
on my schedule.

I sent a complaint to the mods [to which I have had no reply, which is disappointing but
entirely unsurprising] and made my view clear on the forum as to what I think of you and
the subject at hand. But beyond thinking even less of you than I did before, which I didn't
think was actually possible, I had nothing else planned.

Unlike you I have no delusions of grandeur or belief that I can make the site mods do my
bidding.

Everyone knows you to be a lying despicable waste of space, so it's not like I have to convince
anyone of that.

F

Moves
27 May 16

Originally posted by Suzianne to twhitehead
Again with the "realization".
Would you settle instead for: "What made me change my mind was simply a realisation, in my mind, that the whole Christianity thing didn't make sense"?

F

Moves
27 May 16

Originally posted by googlefudge to robbie carrobie
Everyone knows you to be a lying despicable waste of space, so it's not like I have to convince anyone of that.
Nor can he object to you saying so, given the fact that the carefully calculated intellectual and interpersonal behaviour you describe forms the very substance of his comedy routine. 🙂

K

Germany

Moves
27 May 16

[b]I know which parts don't make sense now.

Would you care to share them? Also why atheism? Which parts of atheism made more sense? What evidence are you referring to?[/b]
Atheism "makes more sense" until we can find evidence of supernatural beings.

rc

Moves
27 May 16

I don't know, given that that is a fiction entirely of your own devising I haven't really got it
on my schedule.

I sent a complaint to the mods [to which I have had no reply, which is disappointing but
entirely unsurprising] and made my view clear on the forum as to what I think of you and
the subject at hand. But beyond thinking even less of yo ...[text shortened]... u to be a lying despicable waste of space, so it's not like I have to convince
anyone of that.
Gee thats bitter 😵

rc

Moves
27 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Nor can he object to you saying so, given the fact that the carefully calculated intellectual and interpersonal behaviour you describe forms the very substance of his comedy routine. 🙂
The irony is I cannot take anything you say seriously.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
27 May 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Atheism "makes more sense" until we can find evidence of supernatural beings.
How would an atheist even know if they found evidence of a supernatural being? What kind of evidence would you be looking for?