Who is the greater?
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 19:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Who is the greater?
    Without a doubt the Father.
    (John 14:28) You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for ""the Father is greater than I am.""
    Those are Jesus' words.
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 20:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Your comment may hold true in the human realm. However, God exists in three distinct persons who are coequal, coinfinite and coeternal. "I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30) Each member of the Godhead [God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit] is therefore a separate person individually possessing identical eternal divine attribute ...[text shortened]... rgue with your personal point of view; I for one respect your free will and privilege to choose.
    Thank you!
    I simply choose the Bible's version of things.
    (Romans 3:4) ... But let God be found true, even if every man be found a liar, just as it is written: “That you might be proved righteous in your words and might win when you are being judged.”
    (John 17:17) Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth.

btw I like your original proposal of expressing a thought and including a Scripture (or quotation if non-believer). It can get to the heart of the matter quickly.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    16 Apr '15 21:541 edit
    S10: ...these small things - nutrition, place, climate, recreation, the whole casuistry of selfishness - are inconceivably more important than everything one has taken to be important so far. Precisely here one must begin to relearn. What mankind has so far considered seriously have not even been realities but mere imaginings - more strictly speaking, lies prompted by the bad instincts of sick natures that were harmful in the most profound sense - all these concepts, “God,” “soul,” “virtue,” “sin,” “beyond,” “truth,” “eternal life,” - But the greatness of human nature, its “divinity,” was sought in them. - All the problems of politics, of social organization, and of education have been falsified through and through because one mistook the most harmful men for great men - because one learned to despise the “little” things, which means the basic concerns of life.

From Nietzsche, Ecce Homo, Section 10.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '15 00:44
    "Then the Lord God formed [yatsar: ‘constructed’] man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." (Genesis 2:7) "The Lord God fashioned [banah: ‘to build depicts the divine sculpting of the woman’s body’] into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man." (Genesis 2:22)
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 00:23
    Originally posted by finnegan
    S10: ...these small things - nutrition, place, climate, recreation, the whole casuistry of selfishness - are inconceivably more important than everything one has taken to be important so far. Precisely here one must begin to relearn. What mankind has so far considered seriously have not even been realities but mere imaginings - more strictly speaking, lies ...[text shortened]... ttle” things, which means the basic concerns of life.

From Nietzsche, Ecce Homo, Section 10.
    For some reason this sounds much like the accusation Satan made against Job.
    (Job 2:4, 5) But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.”
    That was a challenge to all mankind that they would not be loyal to God.

There have been many who did remain loyal including the man Job.

(Job 1:22) In all of this, Job did not sin or accuse God of doing anything wrong.

This faithful imperfect man is a good example for us to imitate.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 00:47
    Originally posted by roigam
    How silly the rest of Christendom has been for not doing this!
  8. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    How silly the rest of Christendom has been for not doing this!
    Exactly! They choose to believe men.

Sorry, to follow the format properly I need to include a Scripture.
    (Psalm 119:105) Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light for my path.

(John 3:19-21) Now this is the basis for judgment: that the light has come into the world, but men have loved the darkness rather than the light, for their works were wicked. 20 For whoever practices vile things hates the light and does not come to the light, so that his works may not be reproved. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that his works may be made manifest as having been done in harmony with God.”
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 21:19
    Thank you!
    (Romans 3:4) ... But let God be found true, even if every man be found a liar, just as it is written: “That you might be proved righteous in your words and might win when you are being judged.”

btw I like your original proposa ...[text shortened]... uding a Scripture (or quotation if non-believer). It can get to the heart of the matter quickly.
    However, you seem to have a distorted view of the Bible's version of things. 😏
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    18 Apr '15 21:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 03:561 edit
    Thank you!

btw I like your original proposa ...[text shortened]... uding a Scripture (or quotation if non-believer). It can get to the heart of the matter quickly.
    "btw I like your original proposal of expressing a thought and including a Scripture (or quotation if non-believer)."

Thanks, roigam.

"The fool has said in his heart [mind, rational thought process, immaterial being], there is no God..." (Psalm 14:1)
  12. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    19 Apr '15 22:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Bible is clear. There is hope for all.

(Romans 10:2) For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge.

(1 Timothy 2:3, 4) This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth.

So, we don't give up on anyone.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 03:13
    "The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you.
    He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."
    (Deuteronomy 31:8)
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '15 03:35
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you.
    He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."
    (Deuteronomy 31:8)
    Interesting quote in the context of the recent Yom HaShoah memorial.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '15 15:061 edit
    "I was glad when they said to me, Let us go to the house of the Lord." (Psalms 122:1)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree