1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 02:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    Would you seek to impose this notion of an"authority over life and death [that] man has no right to" [which you happen to believe "belongs to our maker"] on people whose beliefs are different from yours?
    Would you stand in opposition to the will of God?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 02:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    Can you read?
    Yes. And you seem to be equivocating. So I am trying to get you to state clearly what you think the policy on euthanasia should be in your country.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 02:422 edits
    This does not answer the question I posed. Personally, I am unaware of this "will of God" you tout aside from the fact that it's stuff you happen to believe in and forms part of your religious faith. So I will ask again in a slightly different way:

While you personally would not end your life by euthanasia because of your belief that there is an"authority over life and death [that] man has no right to" ~ this being an "authority" which you happen to believe "belongs to our maker" ~ would you endorse your perspective and principle being imposed on other people in your country whose beliefs with regard to this issue are different from yours?
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 09:50
    Originally posted by josephw...
    I believe that such a moral baseline exists, which states that life is sacred, and that decisions made about life and death are not within the purview of human authority....
    Cancer? Life and growth is good period?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 10:19
    I believe that such a moral baseline exists, which states that life is sacred, and that decisions made about life and death are not within the purview of human authority.
    But you approve of capital punishment. Is that not a "decision made about life and death" that is deliberately carried out under "human authority"?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 12:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes. And you seem to be equivocating. So I am trying to get you to state clearly what you think the policy on euthanasia should be in your country.
    There are over 300 million Americans you can ask. Why should you need to know what I think the policy on euthanasia should be?

Are you insecure? The point is moot. I don't set policy. I gave you enough info about my thoughts on the subject already.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 12:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    This does not answer the question I posed. Personally, I am unaware of this "will of God" you tout aside from the fact that it's stuff you happen to believe in and forms part of your religious faith. So I will ask again in a slightly different way:

While you personally would not end your life by euthanasia because of your belief that there is an"authority ove ...[text shortened]... n other people in your country whose beliefs with regard to this issue are different from yours?
    Personally, I am unaware of this "will of God" you tout..."

That's a disingenuous thing to say for someone who claimed to be a Christian for 28 years. Really weird too.

"While you personally would not end your life by euthanasia..."

This is where you start making things up, right?

"...would you endorse your perspective and principle being imposed on other people..."

Is that possible aside from the use of force? But I know what you're driving at. You're a presumptuous little fellow aren't you?
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 16:02
    Good questions. I have an opinion, but it wouldn't answer the questions.

Because this topic is being discussed under a "spiritual" heading I'm inclined to appeal to a higher authority other than man's to draw a conclusion.

How can we know purely on a human level the moral or ethical rightness of our decisions? I think in doing so makes any conclusion a ...[text shortened]... onviction it is, then the question assumes an authority over life and death man has no right to.
    Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from. It's not my own personal stance, but I respect it.

Seeing that this is in a Spirituality forum, I'm inclined to accept spiritually rooted answers, or at the very least give them some thought.

Thank you for your reply, it was respectful and shows your viewpoint and by extension the viewpoint you get from your study of scriptures and such, which is really what I was asking for.

Have a wonderful day.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 22:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Eligibility
    a resident of California, Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, or Washington; and.
    18 years of age or older; and.
    mentally competent, i.e. capable of making and communicating your health care decisions; and.
    diagnosed with a terminal illness that will, within reasonable medical judgment, lead to death within six months.

So a few states so far.
    The fact that there is such disparity between states and other countries about serious issues such as this and abortion, I find it ridiculous that we don't havea uniform approach
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 22:08
    I can't see "god" opposing anything... at least not in a clear and decisive way.
    Can you?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '17 22:10
    There are over 300 million Americans you can ask. Why should you need to know what [b]I think the policy on euthanasia should be?

Are you insecure? The point is moot. I don't set policy. I gave you enough info about my thoughts on the subject already.[/b]
    So when push comes to shove you wuss out.

Go on, take your ball and leave.
    Excellent leadership qualities you have there Jojo
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 06:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So when push comes to shove you wuss out.

Go on, take your ball and leave.
    Excellent leadership qualities you have there Jojo
    You're replying out of context, but I guess you have to get your dig in. If you've read anything I've said about euthanasia in this thread you'd know what I think about it. I had a bit of an epiphany after Kewpie weighed in, but fmf's question about what I think should be the policy concerning euthanasia on a state level I deemed unworthy to answer.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 08:22
    FMF: Personally, I am unaware of this "will of God" you tout

That's a disingenuous thing to say for someone who claimed to be a Christian for 28 years. Really weird too.
    You seem to have forgotten that I'm not a Christian and that I am unaware of god revealing its "will" to anyone.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 08:24
    Why should you need to know what I think the policy on euthanasia should be?.
    Because we are discussing it. What do you think the policy on euthanasia should be in your country?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '17 08:26
    I believe that such a moral baseline exists, which states that life is sacred, and that decisions made about life and death are not within the purview of human authority.
    You have stated you approve of capital punishment. Isn't the imposition of the death penalty a "decision made about life and death" that is deliberately carried out under "human authority"? [bump]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree