1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Dec '23 16:12
    "At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (Matthew 27:51-53).

Any particular reason the other Gospel writers (or indeed any other writer from that time) didn't make mention of it?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Dec '23 18:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    "At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. (Matthew 27:51-53).

Any particular reason the other Gospel writers (or indeed any other writer from that time) didn't make mention of it?
    Because it didn't happen. That story was invented later, for dramatic effect.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Dec '23 19:27
    @moonbus said
    Because it didn't happen. That story was invented later, for dramatic effect.
    Can always rely on zombies for a bit of drama.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '23 20:57
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Can always rely on zombies for a bit of drama.
    Maybe a bit like your team meetings πŸ˜‰
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Dec '23 21:29
    @divegeester said
    Maybe a bit like your team meetings πŸ˜‰
    I imagine there isn't much drama while hauling those encyclopaedias of yours door to door.

Any comment on the OP?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '23 05:55
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I imagine there isn't much drama while hauling those encyclopaedias of yours door to door.
    No, there isn’t any drama nor dread. Just lots of cash.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '23 05:56
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Any comment on the OP?
    I have no insight as to why the other gospel writers didn’t include it.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Dec '23 10:04
    @divegeester said
    I have no insight
    Understood.
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Dec '23 20:262 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

No, there isn't. As I've explained to you folks many times, the gospel writers wrote not only the lessons Jesus taught them, but lessons that came to them from God through visions and dreams. You're not going to find a complete set of logical, and verifiable facts in many of the scriptural books. There are some things you have to take on faith.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    03 Dec '23 20:57
    @mchill said

No, there isn't. As I've explained to you folks many times, the gospel writers wrote not only the lessons Jesus taught them, but lessons that came to them from God through visions and dreams. You're not going to find a complete set of logical, and verifiable facts in many of the scriptural books. There are some things you have to take on faith.
    So when the gospel writer speaks of the bodies of many holy people raised to life and going into the holy city, appearing to many people, we are not to necessarily take that literally? Such writers had divine authority to make stuff up and present it as factual to fill the masses with awe and wonder? - Indeed, Matthew could have regaled how Jesus wrestled an alligator (having seen such in a dream) and expected the readers to take it on faith.

Either you want the bible to be taken as credible or you don't. If you do, then your answer to the OP is a poor showing. The writer's account of 'the zombie apocalypse' would surely have been mentioned by someone else (anyone else) if it had a grain of truth in it. - The vision/dream defence disintegrates the entirety of scripture.
  11. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 07:521 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    So when the gospel writer speaks of the bodies of many holy people raised to life and going into the holy city, appearing to many people, we are not to necessarily take that literally? Such writers had divine authority to make stuff up and present it as factual to fill the masses with awe and wonder? - Indeed, Matthew could have regaled how Jesus wrestled an alligator ...[text shortened]... f it had a grain of truth in it. - The vision/dream defence disintegrates the entirety of scripture.
    The vision/dream defence disintegrates the entirety of scripture.

Scripture lays out the case for accepting God and his Son Jesus Christ. If you see the concept of God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams, as opposed to a set of apostles as "disintegrating" in some way, I'm sorry, but it doesn't make what I said here any less true.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 08:511 edit
    @mchill said

Scripture lays out the case for accepting God and his Son Jesus Christ. If you see the concept of God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams, as opposed to a set of apostles as "disintegrating" in some way, I'm sorry, but it doesn't make what I said here any less true.
    If you see the concept of God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams, as opposed to a set of apostles as "disintegrating" in some way, I'm sorry, but it doesn't make what I said here any less true.

"God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams" makes it sound like it is written by humans without divine inspiration.

The story goes: God sends himself down to Earth as his own son to teach something pretty straightforward and he can't do it, fully, in this way? Even, in person?

So the writers who are creating the new religion go for "God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams" as well. It seems mundane.
  13. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 10:441 edit
    @fmf said
    If you see the concept of God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams, as opposed to a set of apostles as "disintegrating" in some way, I'm sorry, but it doesn't make what I said here any less true.

"God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams" makes it sound like it is written by humans without divine inspiration.

The story goes: God sends himself dow ...[text shortened]... new religion go for "God speaking to mortals through visions and dreams" as well. It seems mundane.

I never thought about it that way, but I suppose that makes you a better literary critic than me. πŸ™‚
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 10:46
    @mchill said

This is akin to God speaking to Joseph Smith from inside a hat.
  15. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Dec '23 11:012 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

God spoke to Moses from within a burning bush: Ex: Ch 3.
    God spoke to Joseph in a dream: Genesis Ch 3 and 7.
    God spoke to Daniel in a vision. Daniel Ch 2 and 7.
    God spoke to Paul in a vision. 2 Cor Ch 12:1-4.

I can't change what happened. But look on the bright side folks. No one is forcing you to believe it. I hope you make the right choice.

This has been mildly entertaining, but the workday beckons. Bye. πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree