Should the Houston Astros Forfeit the 2017 World Series for Cheating?

Should the Houston Astros Forfeit the 2017 World Series for Cheating?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
14 Jan 20

Moves
15 Jan 20

If it's proven that they were using tech to steal signs during the 2017 World Series. Then they were cheating.

So, yep! A forfeit would be in order.

D

Moves
15 Jan 20

Read a book!

Moves
15 Jan 20
1 edit

The Astros should be stripped of their 2017 World Series title.

Alex Cora, the Houston bench coach who devised the sign-stealing system, moved on to the Boston Red Sox in 2018 and guided that team to another World Series title. What a coincidence!

The loser in both cases was the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
15 Jan 20
1 edit

It's hard for me to HAND the Dodgers a World Series title when they in fact did not win it. But it is a tough question.

And my team is the Boston Red Sox, who hired Astros bench coach, Alex Cora for the 2018 season. Will the same fate apply to the Red Sox as well?

Alex Cora has been jettisoned from the team by Red Sox management.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Jan 20

@earl-of-trumps said

And my team is the Boston Red Sox, who hired Astros bench coach, Alex Cora for the 2018 season. Will the same fate apply to the Red Sox as well?

Alex Cora has been jettisoned from the team by Red Sox management.
Yes, that is another question yet to be answered.

-VR

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
15 Jan 20
1 edit

@very-rusty said
Yes, that is another question yet to be answered.

-VR
Rusty, CRY FOR ME!!!

108 wins, and I'm saying to myself, ahhh, this team does not have what it takes in the playoffs, the top three starting pitchers and bullpen. But I must admit they all did better than I could ever had hoped for. And of course, pitchers don't rely on stolen signals LOL

D

Moves
17 Jan 20
1 edit

D

Moves
17 Jan 20
1 edit

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
17 Jan 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
No they should not forfeit the 2017 World Series .
What they did was clearly cheating but even if a batter knows what pitch is coming he must still hit the ball . Seems I read that one of the Astro players still hit badly despite knowing what pitch was coming . In baseball there are certain counts where a batter knows with a high degree of certainty which type of pitch will be throw . For example , on a 3-1 count a fastball would be expected over 80% of the time .
Lengthy bans for all actors involved is appropriate .

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Jan 20

@caissad4 said
No they should not forfeit the 2017 World Series .
What they did was clearly cheating but even if a batter knows what pitch is coming he must still hit the ball . Seems I read that one of the Astro players still hit badly despite knowing what pitch was coming . In baseball there are certain counts where a batter knows with a high degree of certainty which type of pitch will ...[text shortened]... ball would be expected over 80% of the time .
Lengthy bans for all actors involved is appropriate .
So you figure a slap on the hand and say here is what you get don't do it again?

-VR

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
18 Jan 20

@very-rusty said
So you figure a slap on the hand and say here is what you get don't do it again?

-VR
A multi year ban for all actors is hardly a slap on the wrist . Those involved will be paying financially for years also .

D

Moves
18 Jan 20
1 edit

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
18 Jan 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I agree that they cheated .
On another note , I think Shoeless Joe Jackson and Pete Rose got a raw deal .

D

Moves
18 Jan 20