1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Dec '23 08:04
    ... about copyrights or trademarks and how tightly they are protected.

For example, say someone writes a book, and they wish to title the book exactly like the title of an already existing music album. Would this be actionable? I know a book is fundamentally different from a music album, but it still involves intellectual property. Does the author have a leg to stand on if the album-maker decides to sue? Who would be at fault, the author, or the publishing house that allowed it to go through?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Dec '23 14:42
    @suzianne said

For example, say someone writes a book, and they wish to title the book exactly like the title of an already existing music album. Would this be actionable? I know a book is fundamentally different from a music album, but it still involves intellectual property. Does the author have a leg to stand o ...[text shortened]... s to sue? Who would be at fault, the author, or the publishing house that allowed it to go through?
    I know that 2 albums can have the same name,John Coltrane & The boo radleys GIANT STEPS/The Cure & George Michael FAITH, probably many more, but it suggests that they cant be copywriten. hope this helps.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 04:031 edit
    @david-burton said
    I know that 2 albums can have the same name,John Coltrane & The boo radleys GIANT STEPS/The Cure & George Michael FAITH, probably many more, but it suggests that they cant be copywriten. hope this helps.
    I love Coltrane's Giant Steps. I play it often. Never heard of the other.

Maybe that's the lesson? I dunno.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '23 11:36
    @suzianne said

For example, say someone writes a book, and they wish to title the book exactly like the title of an already existing music album. Would this be actionable? I know a book is fundamentally different from a music album, but it still involves intellectual property. Does the author have a leg to stand o ...[text shortened]... s to sue? Who would be at fault, the author, or the publishing house that allowed it to go through?
    As far as I know song titles and album titles cannot be copyrighted. I think this is a the same for book titles and character names etc. If correct, and I’m pretty sure it is, then these are not classed as “intellectual property”.

A quick search on a few trademark/copywriter legal sites should help you further.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jan '24 16:501 edit
    @suzianne said

Be aware that there is a difference between copyright and trademark. A title cannot be copyrighted, but can be trademarked.

https://www.writersdigest.com/copyrights/can-you-copyright-a-title

I would advise against trying to publish a very well-known and probably trademarked title, such as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone or Huckleberry Finn.
  6. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 14:22
    @moonbus said
    Be aware that there is a difference between copyright and trademark. A title cannot be copyrighted, but can be trademarked.

I would advise against trying to publish a very well-known and probably trademarked title, such as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone or Huckleberry Finn.
    What would you advice if the title is manipulated into something like this?
    Harrison Potter and Plato's Rock.
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 14:49
    @david-burton said
    For a farmer you have quite a music and literature culture...Kudos.

Giant steps are a leap of faith, to kill a mockingbird. Or more than one; the cure for everyday paranoia and delusion. Small everyday changes to make a big difference.
  8. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 14:51
    @suzianne said

What is the title of the book you are writing?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 19:52
    @pettytalk said
    What is the title of the book you are writing?
    I fear to expose it here, as the walls have ears.
  10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Jan '24 22:28
    @suzianne said
    Hey you! with the ears against the walls.

If you use the word fear, those on the other side of the walls, listening, will hear an echo, and will make it out to be everyday paranoia.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 00:14
    @suzianne said
    You haven’t written it yet.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 01:45
    @divegeester said
    Do you get people to help you out with your posts?

Ohhhh, wait...
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 01:47
    @divegeester said
    Its progress in on the back burner for now, I have other stuff to write up right now.

But the title is in.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 01:48
    @moonbus said

Research is the order of the day.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '24 09:35
    @suzianne said
    Do you get people to help you out with your posts?

Ohhhh, wait...
    Can’t see what you are having “fear” about. You haven’t written whatever book this is yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree