Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
20 Aug 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Well, if God didn't want people to commit suicide, he should've just made them immortal.
or hidden the rope

w

Moves
20 Aug 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
1) So a man gets brought into the ER with a heart attack. He needs CPR - this will most probably will save his life – but carries a DNR. The doctor respects this wish and does not give CPR. The man dies.

You agree with this decision?

Do you find it a morally difficult choice? Do you feel the doctor should respect the wish but should also feel ba ...[text shortened]... one sentence when the subject is of such complexity. You never shut up, no reason to start now.
Again, withdrawing life support is different from actively killing them.

Why can't you get this through that rat brain of yours?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Aug 14
1 edit

Well, if God didn't want people to commit suicide, he should've just made them immortal.

He did; in the Hebrew, "Neshamah": the 'breath of life' [soul life] is imparted to biological life the moment a fetus emerges from the womb at birth and human life begins. The physical/material self [body] is temporal; immaterial soul life is eternal.

Edit Note: Here's a site link to the definition of "Neshamah": http://biblehub.com/hebrew/5397.htm

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Aug 14
1 edit

Medical Ethics » AMA Code of Medical Ethics » Opinion 2.211

Opinion 2.211 - Physician-Assisted Suicide

"Physician-assisted suicide occurs when a physician facilitates a patient’s death by providing the necessary means and/or information to enable the patient to perform the life-ending act (eg, the physician provides sleeping pills and information about the lethal dose, while aware that the patient may commit suicide).

It is understandable, though tragic, that some patients in extreme duress--such as those suffering from a terminal, painful, debilitating illness--may come to decide that death is preferable to life. However, allowing physicians to participate in assisted suicide would cause more harm than good. Physician-assisted suicide is fundamentally incompatible with the physician’s role as healer, would be difficult or impossible to control, and would pose serious societal risks.

Instead of participating in assisted suicide, physicians must aggressively respond to the needs of patients at the end of life. Patients should not be abandoned once it is determined that cure is impossible. Multidisciplinary interventions should be sought including specialty consultation, hospice care, pastoral support, family counseling, and other modalities. Patients near the end of life must continue to receive emotional support, comfort care, adequate pain control, respect for patient autonomy, and good communication. (I, IV)"

Issued June 1994 based on the reports "Decisions Near the End of LifePDF FIle," adopted June 1991, and "Physician-Assisted SuicidePDF FIle," adopted December 1993 (JAMA. 1992; 267: 2229-33); Updated June 1996.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/medical-ethics/code-medical-ethics/opinion2211.page?

Infidel

Moves
20 Aug 14

Originally posted by whodey
Again, withdrawing life support is different from actively killing them.

Why can't you get this through that rat brain of yours?
What about assisted suicide?

w

Moves
21 Aug 14

What about assisted suicide?
I believe I answered that.

g

Moves
21 Aug 14
2 edits

Doesn't give him the right because just being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease doesn't put him in the face of death. He can still live through life with this disease as you can with many other diseases and even beat it.
but if someone is seriously suffering an undisputable diagnosis then yes I believe it's in the families best interest to have a say. If Robin Williams has lived life with Parkinson's I don't find that disease allows termination. He's not in pain, there's alot of rough circumstances in life, but if it's not life threatening then you shouldn't allow it, it's a very tough question, but it should only be allowed circumstantially.

g

Moves
21 Aug 14

I know one thing...at least the bastards on rhp aren't deciding. 😀

w

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by gort
Doesn't give him the right because just being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease doesn't put him in the face of death. He can still live through life with this disease as you can with many other diseases and even beat it.
but if someone is seriously suffering an undisputable diagnosis then yes I believe it's in the families best interest to have a say. If Rob ...[text shortened]... shouldn't allow it, it's a very tough question, but it should only be allowed circumstantially.
But everyone knew that Robin had his "demons". In other words, mentally he could have been suffering much like a cancer patient with severe physical pain.

So who is to blow the "suffering" alarm and put a pillow over his face if he requests it?

w

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by gort
I know one thing...at least the bastards on rhp aren't deciding. 😀
There will always be those who wish to play God, especially those that don't believe he exists. For them, the job is vacant, so they naturally assume the position.

Infidel

Moves
21 Aug 14

I believe I answered that.
Most of this "conversation" has been about euthanasia, not AS. But alright, you're also against AS.

Can you explain why you are against receiving help in any form when wanting to commit suicide?

So far, you've offered two more or less reasons, 1) because it would be like playing god (why is that bad?), 2) because it might result in people being euthanised against their will (but then why allow people to "unplug the machine"?).

Is that all, or am I missing something?

Infidel

Moves
21 Aug 14

So who is to blow the "suffering" alarm and put a pillow over his face if he requests it?
Nice Whodeylanguage. A doctor recognizing a patients suffering and respects his wish to die is "putting a pillow over his face".

You understand the difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide, right?

Infidel

Moves
21 Aug 14

There will always be those who wish to play God, especially those that don't believe he exists. For them, the job is vacant, so they naturally assume the position.
Saving someone's life is as much "playing Imaginary Friend In The Sky" as ending it when it gets requested.

It is simply your bias that chooses to call the one good and the other bad.

Based on one of your previous posts, you are not against the Death Penalty.

"Playing IFITS" is perfectly acceptable when it's a criminal?

Infidel

Moves
21 Aug 14

You always talk about how the state should have far less influence over the life of the common man (I paraphrase, correct me if it's worded completely wrong) and how more and more laws appear that suppress our freedom.

Is this at odds with your viewpoint that euthanasia and assisted suicide should be FORBIDDEN BY LAW?

K

Germany

Moves
21 Aug 14

You always talk about how the state should have far less influence over the life of the common man (I paraphrase, correct me if it's worded completely wrong) and how more and more laws appear that suppress our freedom.

Is this at odds with your viewpoint that euthanasia and assisted suicide should be [b]FORBIDDEN BY LAW
?[/b]
Whodey has said that a law banning murder reduces freedom. Likewise, a law banning assisted suicide and euthanasia also restricts one's freedom, although whodey is in favour of such a ban. Could it be that whodey's notion of "freedom" is a bit inadequate?