Scientists' Favourite Jokes

Scientists' Favourite Jokes

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jan 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you cannot for example express your aversion to homosexuality or same sex marriages in the work place or you may very well loose your job, that is a form of very real pressure.
Even if that were true, what does this have to do with gay marriage?

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14
2 edits

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Even if that were true, what does this have to do with gay marriage?
it has to do with peer pressure and the framing of a moral stance by decree and it is true as many have found to their chagrin

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jan 14

it has to do with peer pressure and the framing of a moral stance by decree.
Well, it certainly is less accepted than it used to be to be homophobic. I can see why you have a problem with that, although I don't see a justification from this social trend to discriminate against gays.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14
4 edits

Well, it certainly is less accepted than it used to be to be homophobic. I can see why you have a problem with that, although I don't see a justification from this social trend to discriminate against gays.
Its not less accepted at all, its a moral stance that has been insidiously framed by decree, you will loose your job. Even the term homophobic has not been immune to this manipulation, its amazing how the proponents of gayness like to use terms like 'discrimination' when 'discerning',would be perfectly adequate after all what's the difference between a discerning individual and one that employs some kind of discrimination? and assign to their opponents mysterious mental ailments like homophobia, its entirely typical.

Social trend to discriminate against gays? I would like to ask what universe are you living in? where have you observed this social trend to discriminate against gays?

Infidel

Moves
08 Jan 14

anyhow whether you like it or not and I had hoped for at least a modicum of honesty in the matter, a morality is being imposed upon people, you cannot for example express your aversion to homosexuality or same sex marriages in the work place or you may very well loose your job, that is a form of very real pressure.

Please back this up with an example. Thank you.

(Personal side note: I am absolutely certain that proclaiming I'm against gay marriage is not going to get me fired.)

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Great King Rat
[b]anyhow whether you like it or not and I had hoped for at least a modicum of honesty in the matter, a morality is being imposed upon people, you cannot for example express your aversion to homosexuality or same sex marriages in the work place or you may very well loose your job, that is a form of very real pressure.

Please back this up with ...[text shortened]... I am absolutely certain that proclaiming I'm against gay marriage is not going to get me fired.)[/b]
there are not a few business who have been taken to court and individuals that have lost their job as a consequence, I am not trawling the net to find them for you, if you don't believe me then you don't believe me, fine.

K

Germany

Moves
08 Jan 14

Its not less accepted at all, its a moral stance that has been insidiously framed by decree, you will loose your job. Even the term homophobic has not been immune to this manipulation, its amazing how the proponents of gayness like to use terms like 'discrimination' when 'discerning',would be perfectly adequate after all what's the difference betwee ...[text shortened]... verse are you living in? where have you observed this social trend to discriminate against gays?
"Gays are icky" is not a moral stance.

Infidel

Moves
08 Jan 14

there are not a few business who have been taken to court and individuals that have lost their job as a consequence, I am not trawling the net to find them for you, if you don't believe me then you don't believe me, fine.
So you can't back it up. Fair enough.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14

"Gays are icky" is not a moral stance.
no one to my knowledge has claimed they are icky although I very well might believe that they could be.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14

So you can't back it up. Fair enough.
oh i can back it up, that I cannot be bothered is more accurate.

Infidel

Moves
08 Jan 14

oh i can back it up, that I cannot be bothered is more accurate.
A good JW doesn't lie, Robbie! Don't disappoint your leaders now.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
08 Jan 14

Oh, pfffff! Nonsense!

He often attacks "the left" for their solutions concerning the STD problem not to mention that he always brings up the fact that gays make up 5% of the population yet account for 50% of the AIDS cases not to mention that he has an opinion on [b]everything
. He surely has the solution.

He just doesn't want to say what it ...[text shortened]... m/board/showthread.php?threadid=157009&page=16

Seeing as we were having a conversation there.[/b]
There is another condition which is neither left or right. Although the left tends more toward the condition of looking for solutions than does the right, the right does it too.

It is a matter of visions, which Sowell describes as constrained and unconstrained. Those with an unconstrained vision, see solutions to virtually any problem, often not considering the tangential effects of the "solution". The constrained vision, sees instead of solutions, basic principles and institutions which work on problems rather than solving them. This view is smaller and less invasive, and leaves a lot for individuals to "solve" on their own.

As mentioned earlier, both the left and right have the unconstrained individuals, but I prefer the constrained vision myself, due to the human nature of not seeing the big picture and creating problems with so called total solutions.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
08 Jan 14

"Well, it certainly is less accepted than it used to be to be homophobic."

Please drop the use of that pejorative, unless you can define it specifically. It is used to insult, and diminish anyone who for any reason has issues with homosexuality, or the political LGBT movement. There are precious few actual homophobic people, and opposition to LGBT politics is not evidence of homophobia.

I have no religious objections, and no fear of gay people as such, but I do oppose political discrimination against anyone opposing the LGBT lifestyle or the political agenda, which seeks to make a 2% minority with unusual cultural practices, equal to or the same as the cultural majority, by the theft of its major institution.

The homophobia if anything is displayed by those backing the LBGT agendas, fearing they may be called homophobic if they don't succumb.

rc

Moves
08 Jan 14

A good JW doesn't lie, Robbie! Don't disappoint your leaders now.
its like ground hog day with this argument, it really is. My leader is the Christ, don't you worry, he is merciful.

Infidel

Moves
08 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by normbenign
"Well, it certainly is less accepted than it used to be to be homophobic."

Please drop the use of that pejorative, unless you can define it specifically. It is used to insult, and diminish anyone who for any reason has issues with homosexuality, or the political LGBT movement. There are precious few actual homophobic people, and opposition to LGBT po ...[text shortened]... by those backing the LBGT agendas, fearing they may be called homophobic if they don't succumb.
Gays may only make up 2% to 5% of the population, however the percentage of people that feel that gays should have the same marital rights as straights* is far greater. Would you agree that if the majority of the people feel that gays should be able to get married, then that is what should happen? Or do you only use this minority/majority argument when it suits you?

Also, how is it "theft" when gays can get married as well? Who gets robbed and what do they lose?

* Whenever I write this kind of stuff I feel so childish. It's like I'm a twelve year old on the playground.